#1 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Aaron Ward@aaronward_nhl 2m
Sounds like Detroit Red Wings and Jimmy Howard are on the verge of coming to terms on a 6 year deal paying in the range of 5.3 M per #TSN

I would have thought he would have gotten less years, but I guess Detroit can't afford to lose any more Free Agents right now.

This also begs the question:

Who would you rather have? Luongo at 5.3 for 9 more years or Howard at 5.3 for 6 more years?

Kevin Gibson@TSNResearch 5m
@aaronward_nhl so essentially same cap hit as Luongo

Edited by Lonny_Bohonos_14, 11 April 2013 - 07:23 AM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2 HTania

HTania

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Luongo.

#3 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

"But Luongo's contract is so big and onerous no one would want it at any price!!! He'll have to be bought out!"

Otherwise, not unexpected that Howard would get a deal like this. He's a good goalie, just not elite and technically he's making below elite money based on cap hit. I still figured he might have gotten less, maybe a $4.3M cap hit, especially if they're giving him decent term and considering Cory's deal is $4M.

Edited by elvis15, 11 April 2013 - 08:16 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#4 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

I fully expect Luongo to be a Panther or a Flyer at the draft. Panther is a higher chance.

Why would Tallon have traded for him this year? it was a write off season. Next year with a top 3 pick and his developing core he can move out some redundant assets for Luongo.

Luo at 5.3 is a much better value than Howard at 5.3.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#5 canadiangunner

canadiangunner

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

No way panthers go for luongo. They have Jacob Markstrom who is an elite prospect and already starting half of their games. Florida won't trade for luongo.

Best options offseason for luongo are:
1) NYI
2) Flyers if they buy out Illya
3) TML

Teams that need a goalie but canucks maybe hesitant to trade to them:
1) Edmonton - Dubnyk not good enough
2) Calgary - Kipper indicating he might retire
3) Colorado - Varlamov has been awful
4) Chicago - Ray emery is their starter!

Wait until some of the free agent goalies start signing big money deals and luongo's contract wont look so bad after all. And for not other reason but just cause - suck it dreger and nonuts!

#6 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

No way panthers go for luongo. They have Jacob Markstrom who is an elite prospect and already starting half of their games. Florida won't trade for luongo.

1) NYI
3) TML

Wait until some of the free agent goalies start signing big money deals and luongo's contract wont look so bad after all. And for not other reason but just cause - suck it dreger and nonuts!

Good point on Markstrom, i'm just not convinced he is "elite." Lots of elite goalie prospects fizzle at the NHL level.

Do you think Colorado would do a straight 1 for 1 for Johnson?
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#7 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,523 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Detroit's losing their hometown discount advantage. Datsyuk is going to ask for $9mil+ and then leave for the K.
Posted Image

#8 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

1) NYI
3) TML

So you say Markstrom, he of the 15 starts and the 2.68 GAA, is an elite prospect so that Florida won't want Luongo, but then go on to say Edmonton (Dubnyk has more wins and better stats all around), Colorado (Varly has been bad, but the Avs have been worse) and Chicago (Emery has been starting games but they have a tandem currently, and both goalies have pretty good stats) need a goalie?

I'm not sure you understand how this works.

Edited by elvis15, 11 April 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#9 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

1) NYI
3) TML

Ray Emery is 15-1-0. Don't look at the name, look at the numbers.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#10 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

So you say Markstrom, he of the 15 starts and the 2.68 GAA, is an elite prospect so that Florida won't want Luongo, but then go on to say Edmonton (Dubnyk has more wins and better stats all around), Colorado (Varly has been bad, but the Avs have been worse) and Chicago (Emery has been starting games but they have a tandem currently, and both goalies have pretty good stats) need a goalie?

Markstrom reminds me of where Schneider was at in 08/09. remember that game against dallas? stellar performance, i think florida would be wise to get luongo to help develop him
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#11 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Does every goalie thread need to turn into a Luongo thread? :lol:

$5.3 million for Howward is a gross overpayment, he's not accomplished anything to be worth a contract even close to that.

Chicago doesn't need a goalie (we lead the leage in GAA), even if we did Luongo wouldn't be the solution. That has nothing to do with his game and everything to do with his contract. We already have Keith and Hossa and long term deals, we don't add another especially for any goalie. Crawford is more than fine and Emery is capable as well.

#12 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

If Luongo had 2 to 3 years left on his contract, I'm sure Florida would bite. He has 8 freaking years left though. No reason for Florida to pick him up, especially since they are in a rebuild and by the time they begin to contend, Luongo will be in his late 30's. Better option is to stick with Markstrom and get a veteran backup for a 1 to 2 year deal.

Edmonton makes more sense simply because they are closer to becoming a contending team and Luongo could come in as the starter right away. I doubt Edmonton goes after him either because it will be a trade within the division and I can see them go after a goalie on a better contract as well.

The only real options for Lu is Philly (If/when Bryzgalov gets bought out) and New Jersey (When Marty retires)

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 11 April 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#13 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Howard isn't that great, if I was Detroit I would let him walk and go for Miller or a UFA goalie.

#14 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Markstrom reminds me of where Schneider was at in 08/09. remember that game against dallas? stellar performance, i think florida would be wise to get luongo to help develop him

That's pretty much the idea, along with the star power Luongo would bring as a familiar name and fan favourite in Florida. They have to pay a little more in salary for the next few years but if he helps them make the playoffs and garner more fan interest (through tickets, jersey sales, etc) then they more than make up for the money they're losing languishing in the bottom of the Southeast with little to no playoff aspirations.

We do know Florida has had interest, so it's not really a question of that. It's just a question of what they have to do to acquire him since their current goaltending has done nothing to help them out. Sure, they aren't ready to be a Stanley Cup contender this year, but with a bit better luck injury-wise, and more of their young players stepping up, they can easily make a splash in their division and earn some playoff revenue.

People underestimate how much that added revenue means to a team like the Panthers.

Edited by elvis15, 11 April 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#15 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,832 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

This makes Luongo's contract look much better.
Posted Image

#16 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Does every goalie thread need to turn into a Luongo thread? :lol:

$5.3 million for Howward is a gross overpayment, he's not accomplished anything to be worth a contract even close to that.

Chicago doesn't need a goalie (we lead the leage in GAA), even if we did Luongo wouldn't be the solution. That has nothing to do with his game and everything to do with his contract. We already have Keith and Hossa and long term deals, we don't add another especially for any goalie. Crawford is more than fine and Emery is capable as well.

Yes. :P

Edited by Lonny_Bohonos_14, 11 April 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#17 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Yes. :P

Ok, just checking! :bigblush:

#18 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Overpayment and too long of a contract. To me, Howard's just there to fill in until Mrazek takes over.
Posted Image

#19 messier's_elbow

messier's_elbow

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Im good with it cause this along with Smiths new contract will make Lus contract less ugly..

#20 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

You don't get a guy who has 8 years left on his deal to develop a goalie who is 1-2 years away from being a definite starter in the league. If Luongo only had 2-3 years left on his contract it would make a whole lot more sense.

Luongo also won't magically make them a playoff or division contender. They can't sell the farm at this point so it's better to wait a few years and develop the team than to hurt the development curve of the organization and be mediocre for several more years. The only way they go for Lu is if a salary dump is going the other way and none of their top level players, prospects or draft picks come back.

Vancouver would probably get better value from a team that actually needs a solid starting goalie for the future, such as New Jersey or Philadelphia. Both of those teams don't have any prominent young goalies coming through the pipelines.

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 11 April 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#21 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Not too bad. Didn't think he'd get that much for that long, but it'll expire when he's 35.

How does this contract make Luongo's look better?
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#22 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,287 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Howard has a lot of potential and has played great for the Wings. Solid term length and salary cap

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Great signing for the Wings. Not an elite goaltender but still a solid one

#24 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

He's had a pretty good even strength SV% this yr and last - but the previous 2 yrs were avg/below avg. Hard to know exactly which Howard they're getting over the next 6 yrs.

#25 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

$ 5.3 million may not exactly be an ideal caphit, but he is a good goaltender on a good team.
Posted Image

#26 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

And I thought Luongo was overpaid 😆

drouin_sig_by_motzaburger-d7ucejm.jpg

Sig by CheddaBurger

#27 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Great signing for the Wings. Not an elite goaltender but still a solid one

Still, half of the goalies don't deserve more than Schneids.

Half? My bad lol, over 80% don't.
I know, it's his first year as a starter so they didn't wanna overpay. But after his contracts over, watch him get a HUGE $$$ raise

Edited by CanucksD, 11 April 2013 - 06:01 PM.

Sig by CheddaBurger

#28 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

He's had a pretty good even strength SV% this yr and last - but the previous 2 yrs were avg/below avg. Hard to know exactly which Howard they're getting over the next 6 yrs.

That's basically my thoughts. I would have expected a 3 year deal with increasing salary - maybe something like $4/4.5/5M each year. If he's earned it after that, then he gets the payday. If not, then they aren't stuck with it.

#29 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

That's basically my thoughts. I would have expected a 3 year deal with increasing salary - maybe something like $4/4.5/5M each year. If he's earned it after that, then he gets the payday. If not, then they aren't stuck with it.

On the bright side, he's not that old.

Sig by CheddaBurger

#30 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hope he doesn't sign with them.

Then we can send them lu or Schneider :)

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.