The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tips and tricks of buying a new car. [Update]

Armada

First result on google http://www.edmunds.c...er-reviews.html

First post is about reliability issues, looks like about 1 in 3 are experiencing reliability issues including:

" I just scheduled my 8th service visit. It pains me to say that I have started looking at the best way to get rid of this car with the least amount of loss. With 13,000 miles on it, it acts like a car with 100,000, and that simply doesn't work." Had the car for a year

"bought brand new car, only 3K miles, sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't...not a good feature in a car! at first dealer suggested I was doing something wrong, but after having it towed 3 X, they finally realized I wasn't making this up."

"Car had to have engine replaced at 10K miles and had transmission problems at 16K miles."

All the reviews agree its a fun car to drive, which I bet it is, but too many issues to deal with on a consistent basis. Yeah finding a competent mechanic will keep a car running, but those bills are going to add up and with the situation the OP is in, that's not what he needs.

I'm not biased against Italian cars, they have the most soul out of any country's cars and will be fun to drive whether its a 500, Alfa, Maserati or one of the big boy Ferrari/Lamborghinis, but they will also be expensive to maintain, and have reliability issues.

Update***

After overwhelming caring support from all of you because you guys love me :) .

I've decided not to get the Fiat because of the prices of terms were a little bit too much for me too be comfortable especially on a 6+ year term.

The Lancer is a fun car to drive. Love the handling and the paddle shifter is pretty awesome for changing gears instantly. The sound system is also Rocksford Fosgate which is a pretty premium sound system for a budget car.

Actually in reading the reviews it sure seems like a few people got genuine lemons. I mean a new engine at 10K and tranny issues at 16K? LEMON CITY! That said is there any other car you can but new for $88 bi-weekly? That's what they were advertising them for here in Vic awhile back.

EDIT: Read every review and a few things seem to stand out. Firstly most disgruntled owners bought the Pop version (the very cheapest). Some of the bad reviews seem to have the automatic tranny which I would avoid like the plague (for some reason Italian cars are no good with automatics in them, probably because in many cases Fiat doesn't build them but instead buys them from independent suppliers). Some of the negative reviews just seem like whining to me. But the thing that stands out for me is the dissatisfaction with the dealer network which was something that Chrysler was supposed to make sure didn't happen. In my experience with the dealer in Vic I was unimpressed with the attitude of the dealership; they gave me the impression that Fiat was a brand that had been foisted upon them without their consent and it seems that they would rather sell you a Ram truck (with it's bigger profit margin) than a Fiat. Even a Fiat/Alfa nut like me will be thinking twice about purchasing one new from the dealership if I don't feel that they are 100% behind their product or if I can't have confidence in their service center.

Opinions?

This is the car after all taxes + fees

No downpayment (I might put down $1000), 0.9% finance on 72 months (6 years) +10 year warranty included. Opinions?

The salesmen was a super nice guy but I'm sure I can squeeze a few $100 out of him to get closer to the invoice price, making my payments less.

screen_capture_1.png

I'm also adding this $76.20 accesory

screen_capture.png

Not sure if I should get the car in White or Black.

Opinions?

No downpayment (I might put down $1000), 0.9% finance on 72 months (6 years) +10 year warranty included. Opinions?

The salesmen was a super nice guy but I'm sure I can squeeze a few $100 out of him to get closer to the invoice price, making my payments less.

screen_capture_1.png

screen_capture.png

Opinions?

screen_capture_1.png

screen_capture.png

• 4 weeks later...

Archived