The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tips and tricks of buying a new car. [Update]

Armada

Did some research and found this great website

http://www.unhaggle.com/

They give you an invoice of the price the dealership payed for the car (Which is $2000 less than the BASE MSRP they're charging) so you can barter with the dealer but not only that after I called the number for the person they suggested in the faq and gave him the information on the car I want (What colour, extras) and now they're calling the dealership to get me the best possible price for free.

Found it on CTV.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/ctv-news-channel/the-pattie-lovett-reid-show/how-to-get-the-best-possible-deal-when-buying-a-new-car-1.1065541

Its not my first car, I own a used Mazda MX6 right now and I loved the car but its starting to show its age and has needed almost $3000 in repairs in the last two years on a car that's probably worth less than that.

You're getting a lot of car in a tiny package like this and trust me I've looked around already and theoretically there are better deals out there but there are also a lot more boring cars, don't want a dreary Corolla, Civic, Kia or Hyundai of any sorts. I test drove this Fiat and fell instant in love, the car flies and has tremendous power and speed. The only thing now is I have to show that I don't love it too much. My only other option was a 2013 VW jetta base model which has drum rear brakes and a slow 110hp engine :bored: .

I just want to find out other people's experience buying new cars

I too am in the process of car hunting. Went to check out the mazda dealership to see the cost of a brand new car. The have 0% financing on selected terms. However, I just wasn't too sure if I want to commit on this investment on a deprecating asset..

Have you checked Craigslist or any pre-own vehicle ? Could save you some cash!

Leasing also adds the guarantee you aren't stuck with a lemon. If you get a lemon in a lease, you can walk away.

Leases also provide lower monthly payments, so you can divert that cash elsewhere. If you are financing the car, instead of buying it outright, there is no real difference, as you can always finance the car at the end of the lease anyways.

There are advantages to both. Don't listen to anyone who ever tells you, always lease or always buy.

I too am in the process of car hunting. Went to check out the mazda dealership to see the cost of a brand new car. The have 0% financing on selected terms. However, I just wasn't too sure if I want to commit on this investment on a deprecating asset..

Have you checked Craigslist or any pre-own vehicle ? Could save you some cash!

Just buy a unicycle.

Look at all the positives:

- Easy to afford and maintain

- never pay for gas

- impress the lady types

- a second career option opens up for you at the circus

- Both your hands are free to eat a sandwich and make a phone call at the same time

- you can wear that cool helmet your mom bought you twelve years ago that has a light and siren built in.

- You'll get wicked leg mussels and good balance

- You can join the secret underground crime fighting unicycle force (SUCFUF)

The only negative I could see with buying a unicycle is that it's a real inconvenience when you get a flat tire.

Get 2 different dealerships involved...... call a different Fiat dealership and tell them you were offered that car for $22,000 and see if they would match it. If they do then you can go back to the first dealership and tell them what you were offered. When I bought my last jeep ( brand new) I got 2 dealerships going back and forth fighting for my business and I paid $24,000 on a jeep that was listed at $29,000.

The benefit to leasing is that they dont add GST onto the final price which would save you $1100 on the final bill. But before you lease, find out the penalties and what the buy-out price would be at the end.

Leasing sucks for a regular consumer.

Hard to get out of if say your financial or life situation changes.

Say you lease a 2 seater - 1 year later, your wife is pregnant - now you need a family vehicle...

Say you want to customize your leased car - watch out - you do anything to damage it and you can have issues with the leasing company.

At the end of the lease - you either have to come up with the buy out, or you lose the car.

With a lease, the car can NOT be used as collateral for anything else - because you don't own it - but you're committed to that monthly payment.

Makes it hard to buy a home when you're leasing.

If you are okay with a "buy out" at the end of the lease, you might as get one of those "balloon" payment loans. Same low payments and at the end you need to come up with some cash to buy your car.

I had a lease once - never again.

It's fine for a business - but not a consumer.

Getting out of a lease is not as difficult as you are making it out to be. There are multiple companies that will help you transfer the lease.

There are ups and downs to both. You can't say you should never lease or never finance.

Archived