109 replies to this topic

#91 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

I would appreciate it if you could direct me to any reviews that talk about the new 500's "reliability issues" since I have been unable to find a single one anywhere. As for your dad's spider being "one of the last ever on this continent" you are dead wrong; as I speak there are literally dozens of them for sale here in B.C. and they are by far the most common Alfas. The rare (and cheap) ones are the sedans which are usually more reliable and faster than the spiders. There are literally thousands of Alfas still in the USA (mostly rust free California ones) and they are a ridiculous bargain for the most part. The whole Italian car prejudice is/was mostly a function of 1970's US car industry slander and a weak dealer network (which won't be the case since Fiat bailed out Chrysler mainly to provide them with a solid dealer network in the North American market). In my experience the biggest problem with Italian cars in North America is ignorant North American mechanics, most of whom don't even know which weight of oil to put in them. Older cars also can have electrical issues (just like older cars from anywhere else) and they can be a headache; I usually pass on a car with wiring issues. Find a sympathetic competent mechanic and you will be a happy man.

First result on google http://www.edmunds.c...er-reviews.html
First post is about reliability issues, looks like about 1 in 3 are experiencing reliability issues including:
" I just scheduled my 8th service visit. It pains me to say that I have started looking at the best way to get rid of this car with the least amount of loss. With 13,000 miles on it, it acts like a car with 100,000, and that simply doesn't work." Had the car for a year

"bought brand new car, only 3K miles, sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't...not a good feature in a car! at first dealer suggested I was doing something wrong, but after having it towed 3 X, they finally realized I wasn't making this up."
"Car had to have engine replaced at 10K miles and had transmission problems at 16K miles."

All the reviews agree its a fun car to drive, which I bet it is, but too many issues to deal with on a consistent basis. Yeah finding a competent mechanic will keep a car running, but those bills are going to add up and with the situation the OP is in, that's not what he needs.

I'm not biased against Italian cars, they have the most soul out of any country's cars and will be fun to drive whether its a 500, Alfa, Maserati or one of the big boy Ferrari/Lamborghinis, but they will also be expensive to maintain, and have reliability issues.

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#92 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

First post is about reliability issues, looks like about 1 in 3 are experiencing reliability issues including:
" I just scheduled my 8th service visit. It pains me to say that I have started looking at the best way to get rid of this car with the least amount of loss. With 13,000 miles on it, it acts like a car with 100,000, and that simply doesn't work." Had the car for a year

"bought brand new car, only 3K miles, sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't...not a good feature in a car! at first dealer suggested I was doing something wrong, but after having it towed 3 X, they finally realized I wasn't making this up."
"Car had to have engine replaced at 10K miles and had transmission problems at 16K miles."

All the reviews agree its a fun car to drive, which I bet it is, but too many issues to deal with on a consistent basis. Yeah finding a competent mechanic will keep a car running, but those bills are going to add up and with the situation the OP is in, that's not what he needs.

I'm not biased against Italian cars, they have the most soul out of any country's cars and will be fun to drive whether its a 500, Alfa, Maserati or one of the big boy Ferrari/Lamborghinis, but they will also be expensive to maintain, and have reliability issues.

Fair enough, there will always be a bad car or two in a batch but the 4 1/2 out of 5 star overall rating suggests that these problems are very much the exception rather than the rule and remember these cars are super cheap. Also FWIW whenever I see one of these new 500's in a parking lot with their owners nearby I ask how they like it and 100% of the time they have said that they love it. At any rate I welcome bad press for any and all Italian cars because it makes them super cheap for me to buy used. I'll grant you this; if you are a dumbbell that doesn't ever check your oil or do other routine maintenance then you should avoid Italian cars.

Edited by thema, 13 April 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#93 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

Fair enough, there will always be a bad car or two in a batch but the 4 1/2 out of 5 star overall rating suggests that these problems are very much the exception rather than the rule and remember these cars are super cheap. Also FWIW whenever I see one of these new 500's in a parking lot with their owners nearby I ask how they like it and 100% of the time they have said that they love it. At any rate I welcome bad press for any and all Italian cars because it makes them super cheap for me to buy used. I'll grant you this; if you are a dumbbell that doesn't ever check your oil or do other routine maintenance then you should avoid Italian cars.

I'm sure the drivers love it, theirs are the ones that still work :P
While some of the issues probably are caused by people thinking they don't have to do any work, other issues are popping up too early to be owner-laziness related.

I think the everyday person probably isn't ready to own an Italian car, it can be too much to try to listen for while driving to keep in shape. However, if someone has experience under the hood and can regularly check on the health of it, Italian cars can be worth it

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#94 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'm sure the drivers love it, theirs are the ones that still work :P
While some of the issues probably are caused by people thinking they don't have to do any work, other issues are popping up too early to be owner-laziness related.

I think the everyday person probably isn't ready to own an Italian car, it can be too much to try to listen for while driving to keep in shape. However, if someone has experience under the hood and can regularly check on the health of it, Italian cars can be worth it

Actually in reading the reviews it sure seems like a few people got genuine lemons. I mean a new engine at 10K and tranny issues at 16K? LEMON CITY! That said is there any other car you can but new for $88 bi-weekly? That's what they were advertising them for here in Vic awhile back.

EDIT: Read every review and a few things seem to stand out. Firstly most disgruntled owners bought the Pop version (the very cheapest). Some of the bad reviews seem to have the automatic tranny which I would avoid like the plague (for some reason Italian cars are no good with automatics in them, probably because in many cases Fiat doesn't build them but instead buys them from independent suppliers). Some of the negative reviews just seem like whining to me. But the thing that stands out for me is the dissatisfaction with the dealer network which was something that Chrysler was supposed to make sure didn't happen. In my experience with the dealer in Vic I was unimpressed with the attitude of the dealership; they gave me the impression that Fiat was a brand that had been foisted upon them without their consent and it seems that they would rather sell you a Ram truck (with it's bigger profit margin) than a Fiat. Even a Fiat/Alfa nut like me will be thinking twice about purchasing one new from the dealership if I don't feel that they are 100% behind their product or if I can't have confidence in their service center.

Edited by thema, 13 April 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#95 DYU3ster

DYU3ster

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Just a heads up. Mazda is giving huge discounts on the Mazda 3 2012s right now. 4.5 - 6k off.

#96 DYU3ster

DYU3ster

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

^ where? Accidentally entered prematurely on ipad

#97 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

I guarantee if you buy this vehicle, your going to regret it as soon as you have real expenses, unless you plan on living at home till your 28 and having your parents pay for everyting...

also, having an 8 year comitment really restricts you in your life, unless you make boatloads of money and can afford to take time off or to change careers

Edited by Argon, 13 April 2013 - 08:08 PM.

Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#98 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

If you want to buy a car, at least buy something that looks more edgy like this:

Posted Image

Not talking about Evo, but it's clone in Lancer. They are cheap and come with a 10 year warranty and have better reliability than Fiat. They also look better than a Fiat which looks like a girls car to me. And if you are spending that much on the Abarth, you could get the fully loaded GTS version of Lancer that has 168 hp, more hp than the Fiat along with paddle shifters, 6 disc CD changer, 700W Subwoofer stereo system, heated seats, moon roof, body kit w/ rear spoilers and the whole schabang.

Edited by Pouria, 14 April 2013 - 11:26 AM.

Posted Image

#99 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

If you want to buy a car, at least buy something that looks more edgy like this:

Posted Image

Not talking about Evo, but it's clone in Lancer. They are cheap and come with a 10 year warranty and have better reliability than Fiat. They also look better than a Fiat which looks like a girls car to me. And if you are spending that much on the Abarth, you could get the fully loaded GTS version of Lancer that has 168 hp, more hp than the Fiat along with paddle shifters, 6 disc CD changer, 700W Subwoofer stereo system, heated seats, moon roof, body kit w/ rear spoilers and the whole schabang.

Not a bad idea, I was looking at the Lancer SE 10th anniversary.

Today I'm going back to the Fiat dealership to see if their new terms their offering to me. If I don't like them I'll stop by the Mitsubishi dealership.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#100 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Not a bad idea, I was looking at the Lancer SE 10th anniversary.

Today I'm going back to the Fiat dealership to see if their new terms their offering to me. If I don't like them I'll stop by the Mitsubishi dealership.

The Lancer is a fun car to drive. Love the handling and the paddle shifter is pretty awesome for changing gears instantly. The sound system is also Rocksford Fosgate which is a pretty premium sound system for a budget car.

Posted Image

#101 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

My preference is to consult Phil Edmondston books as the ratings are based upon Canadian vehicles and experiences as well as listing Canadian recalls and secret warranties.
http://www.lemonaidcars.com/

In this case... "Lemon-Aid New Cars and Trucks 2013" - which is available in the reference section of public libraries (he also rates used cars and trucks.

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.ca...65969600&sr=1-2
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#102 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Update***

After overwhelming caring support from all of you because you guys love me :) .

I've decided not to get the Fiat because of the prices of terms were a little bit too much for me too be comfortable especially on a 6+ year term.

The Lancer is a fun car to drive. Love the handling and the paddle shifter is pretty awesome for changing gears instantly. The sound system is also Rocksford Fosgate which is a pretty premium sound system for a budget car.

Just test drove it. Can't believe how fully loaded it is. It has everything in the 10th year anniversary edition for $21,000 after the transport fee. (Power sunroof, power everything, 6 speakers, heated seats, A/C and many more).

Not to mention the wicked 0% down and 10 year warranty.

Looks like the Lancer SE 10th year just took the lead.

Edited by Armada, 14 April 2013 - 02:52 PM.

Posted Image

#103 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Actually in reading the reviews it sure seems like a few people got genuine lemons. I mean a new engine at 10K and tranny issues at 16K? LEMON CITY! That said is there any other car you can but new for $88 bi-weekly? That's what they were advertising them for here in Vic awhile back.

EDIT: Read every review and a few things seem to stand out. Firstly most disgruntled owners bought the Pop version (the very cheapest). Some of the bad reviews seem to have the automatic tranny which I would avoid like the plague (for some reason Italian cars are no good with automatics in them, probably because in many cases Fiat doesn't build them but instead buys them from independent suppliers). Some of the negative reviews just seem like whining to me. But the thing that stands out for me is the dissatisfaction with the dealer network which was something that Chrysler was supposed to make sure didn't happen. In my experience with the dealer in Vic I was unimpressed with the attitude of the dealership; they gave me the impression that Fiat was a brand that had been foisted upon them without their consent and it seems that they would rather sell you a Ram truck (with it's bigger profit margin) than a Fiat. Even a Fiat/Alfa nut like me will be thinking twice about purchasing one new from the dealership if I don't feel that they are 100% behind their product or if I can't have confidence in their service center.

http://www.edmunds.c...style=200440780
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#104 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Opinions?

This is the car after all taxes + fees

No downpayment (I might put down $1000), 0.9% finance on 72 months (6 years) +10 year warranty included. Opinions?

The salesmen was a super nice guy but I'm sure I can squeeze a few $100 out of him to get closer to the invoice price, making my payments less.

Posted Image

I'm also adding this $76.20 accesory

Posted Image

Not sure if I should get the car in White or Black.

Edited by Armada, 14 April 2013 - 03:51 PM.

Posted Image

#105 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Much better choice as far as practicality goes. Speaking as someone who's owned nothing but black or white vehicals I'd get a color if you don't want to wash it every other day for it to look nice. Silver or Dark Blues and Reds hide dirt way better then Black and White

#106 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

Opinions?

No downpayment (I might put down $1000), 0.9% finance on 72 months (6 years) +10 year warranty included. Opinions?

The salesmen was a super nice guy but I'm sure I can squeeze a few $100 out of him to get closer to the invoice price, making my payments less.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd go for silver if I were you. You should choose a dark color which would show less dirt on the car (If you don't want to wash it everyday). The white also looks good for this car but then again, any color looks good for this car. You definitely made the right choice because Fiat is more expensive to buy and it is more expensive to maintain especially if you are buying parts for it.

Posted Image

#107 cyacry

cyacry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:08 AM

Opinions?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I got a white one and i can assure you white looks better IMO. Great choice btw, the Lancer is a great car to drive :)

#108 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Spend more money and buy an audi.

#109 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Spend more money and buy an audi.

No.

Honestly OP the Lancer is a much better choice for you. The financing term length and interests rates make much more sense for someone in your position.

Worst comes to worse, you can sell the Lancer in 3 years. When you do that you'll probably get enough to pay off whatever is left on the financing. Not an option you would have had with the Fiat.

And yes, you can get the dealer to take off more. I'd suggest going to a second dealer, presenting them with this invoice, and "seeing what they can do".

#110 icecreamdaily

icecreamdaily

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

try craigslist or kijiji

if you're buying second hand car, don't forget to bring a mechanic with you!

Please help me with my forum regarding road test!:
http://forum.canucks...test-questions/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.