The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the Canucks biggest rivals?

canuckelhead70

Who is are biggest rival team?  

290 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I miss the rivalry that we had with Minny a few years back. We may see it renewed now that they don't suck anymore. Chicago I don't dislike as much as I used to. They lost so many of their real creeps (I know, some still remain) and are playing a better brand of hockey. And it might take awhile for the NW to get back to being a "strong" division but once the Oil and Flames get good, every game is so exciting. Was it the early 2000's/WCE days were every divisional game seemed to be meaningful? Good times.

But don't discount Boston. We haven't seen them this year, yet :bigblush: , but once we start seeing them in the regular season the games will be huge.

I would have to say Chicago is our "Biggest Rival" due to the amount of playoff series battled out between the two teams (3 times in 4 years?). There always seems to be a extra edge for the games vs. the hawks that makes it ONE of the best rivalries in the league.

Biggest rivals are with the Vancouver media followed by bandwagon fans. Canucks have some of the best TRUE fans in the NHL but have more whining "win or we won't follow you" fans, more trolls (rear hurt Albertans) and many other forms of non-true hockey fan people.

True fans cheer when Canucks win but cheer harder when the team is struggling...that is when true fans are needed the most.

Depends on how you define rivalry.. and maybe there are different types of rivalry:

Considering the future division and playoff format, it'll probably be the Kings or the Sharks (and probably Oilers if they indeed reach the potential they have). Remember, all it takes is an emotional playoff series, and we'll likely have a bunch of these against the Kings and Sharks and Oilers in the next several years.

Chicago would be the best rivalry as of now for us I would say, just given the history. But it'll probably tail off a bit in the next few years unless we get them in the playoffs again.

I wouldn't call the Boston Goons as one of our rivals... it's more of a one/two game a season hate-fest. It will never be like following them regularly on the season and fighting for top spots like most rivalries.

For me personally,

1) Hawks: I love beating them, but also respect them (despite having numerous annoying players). I was actually cheering for them to win the cup in 2010. I like their attacking style of play, and Towes is hard to hate.

2) Kings: I don't like them and it'll be a lot of fun watching the rivalry develop in future years. I just didn't like how they limped into playoffs, picked up a bunch of big names at the deadline and got lucky with the chemistry and non-injuries and hot goalie to win the cup... I'd say this will be the main rivalry for us going forward

3) Bruins: as most other Nucks fans, and Habs fans, and any sane, non-dinosaur-original six-loving fan, hates them and their dirty goonish style of play. This is not a rivalry, it's pure hate. I don't care if Lucic is from Van, I'd never cheer for him in any tournament. And Marchant.. and Thornton... and their goonish fans. It's a culture thing and I hate it all.

Chicago and LA. Then Boston. We don't play Boston enough to have a rivalry. Of course when we do play them for the next few years there it will be heated, but with Chicago (and now LA) a rivalry was built and has continued for years because we play them a lot more.

Minny is getting up there, but nothing at the moment can overtake chicago and boston.

I like to think in my conspiracy paranoia that the league is purposefully tyring to keep Boston from coming to Vancouver, seeing as how they haven't been here for 2 seasons and probably won't be for a while into the 3rd season. I remember last season the league saying that every team was supposed to visit each teams city at least once, and boston never came here.

Archived