The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burn 2,998 Qurans to commemorate 9/11 12th anniversary

key2thecup

I bet hardly anyone in this conversation has ever stepped foot in a Mosque before. In fact, from reading every post in this thread Id doubt anyone here has done any serious studying of Islam and it's followers outside from maybe asking your "Islam friend at school".

Go read the Quaran and go visit a Mosque or two and find out what it is that they preach instead of sitting online and coming up with your half-assed theories on what Islam really is.

It's a legit question. The Quran says that burning the Quran is punishable by death. I just wondered if everyday muslims believe that or not.

Problem with all religions is people interpret their holy books how ever they want and how it suits them. So I guess peaceful muslims ignore the call for death. But I see a lot of Muslims calling for the death of people also. Like the guy who drew a cartoon of Mohammed. Or Salmon Rushdie who had to go into hiding for writing a book. And this pastor who burns Qurans was sentenced to death in an Egyptian court.

It's as legitimate a question as asking a Christian if a woman should be put to death for lying about their virginity before marriage, or if you were allowed to sell your daughter as a sex slave. If you were at all in doubt that the answer is anything but no you need to get out in the world more.

The reality is that every member of one of these major religions is a hypocrite. I'm not sure it's their fault, the books are contradictory in nature to begin with. I can and have seen Quranic quotes speaking in more moderate/peaceful terms which contradicts the part of it you quoted. Religion is whatever you want it to be, how you interpret it tells you more about the person than it does the religion.

It's as legitimate a question as asking a Christian if a woman should be put to death for lying about their virginity before marriage, or if you were allowed to sell your daughter as a sex slave. If you were at all in doubt that the answer is anything but no you need to get out in the world more.

The reality is that every member of one of these major religions is a hypocrite. I'm not sure it's their fault, the books are contradictory in nature to begin with. I can and have seen Quranic quotes speaking in more moderate/peaceful terms which contradicts the part of it you quoted. Religion is whatever you want it to be, how you interpret it tells you more about the person than it does the religion.

I think those Christian questions are legit too. And I agree with you, all members of religion are hypocrites. Religion has been the cause of global unrest ever since people started making them up.

But unlike you, I don't give anyone free passes. If people say they are believers and practicing members of any religion, then I have the right to ask them what parts of their holy scriptures do they abide by and which ones they conveniently disregard.

Killing anyone who burns the Quran is in the scriptures. So I guess the answer is most Muslims ignore that part.

"But I see a lot of Muslims calling for the death of people also"

THere are a lot of Muslims, a very big number, thus there will be a some on the extreme side. But if you can wrap your head around the idea of percentages you will be less concerned by the relatively few nutbars.

http://islam.about.com/od/muslimcountries/a/population.htm

"Nearly one-fourth of the world’s population today is Muslim. The Muslim population is a diverse community of believers spanning the globe. Over fifty countries have Muslim-majority populations, while other groups of believers are clustered in minority communities on nearly every continent.

I think those Christian questions are legit too. And I agree with you, all members of religion are hypocrites. Religion has been the cause of global unrest ever since people started making them up.

But unlike you, I don't give anyone free passes. If people say they are believers and practicing members of any religion, then I have the right to ask them what parts of their holy scriptures do they abide by and which ones they conveniently disregard.

Killing anyone who burns the Quran is in the scriptures. So I guess the answer is most Muslims ignore that part.

Archived