136 replies to this topic

#61 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Why do these dudes always look almost exactly the same!? change it up man..

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#62 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

They should burn Pastor Terry Jones to commemorate 9/11.

I've had enough of this clown.

I'd say a greater case can be made against you for advocating a violent and criminal act like this than for any jackassery committed by Jones.

#63 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Why do these dudes always look almost exactly the same!? change it up man..

These types of people don't do change.

#64 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Big deal people can burn religious books if they want. Just so happens that Muslims tend to freak out about it and react violently as opposed to say burning bibles.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#65 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Big deal people can burn religious books if they want. Just so happens that Muslims tend to freak out about it and react violently as opposed to say burning bibles.

And stopping him on their account would be giving in to terrorism.

#66 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

I bet hardly anyone in this conversation has ever stepped foot in a Mosque before. In fact, from reading every post in this thread Id doubt anyone here has done any serious studying of Islam and it's followers outside from maybe asking your "Islam friend at school".

Go read the Quaran and go visit a Mosque or two and find out what it is that they preach instead of sitting online and coming up with your half-assed theories on what Islam really is.
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#67 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Ok. So regular everyday Islamic people don't believe people should be put to death for burning the Quran?

Are you for real? Are people really that out of touch with the everyday Muslim that they even have to ask that question?

:picard:

#68 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Are you for real? Are people really that out of touch with the everyday Muslim that they even have to ask that question?

:picard:

It's a legit question. The Quran says that burning the Quran is punishable by death. I just wondered if everyday muslims believe that or not.

Problem with all religions is people interpret their holy books how ever they want and how it suits them. So I guess peaceful muslims ignore the call for death. But I see a lot of Muslims calling for the death of people also. Like the guy who drew a cartoon of Mohammed. Or Salmon Rushdie who had to go into hiding for writing a book. And this pastor who burns Qurans was sentenced to death in an Egyptian court.

Mr. Jones is the Florida-based pastor of Dove World Outreach. He helped promote a film that sparked Muslim outrage around the world last year; a court in Egypt convicted and sentenced to death seven Coptic Christians believed to have aided with the creation of the film in November. The court sentenced Mr. Jones — in his absence — to death, also.

Edited by Gross-Misconduct, 12 April 2013 - 12:58 PM.

HpkJUPw.jpg

Credit to KingAlex for the sig. R.I.P.

#69 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

It's a legit question. The Quran says that burning the Quran is punishable by death. I just wondered if everyday muslims believe that or not.

Problem with all religions is people interpret their holy books how ever they want and how it suits them. So I guess peaceful muslims ignore the call for death. But I see a lot of Muslims calling for the death of people also. Like the guy who drew a cartoon of Mohammed. Or Salmon Rushdie who had to go into hiding for writing a book. And this pastor who burns Qurans was sentenced to death in an Egyptian court.

It's as legitimate a question as asking a Christian if a woman should be put to death for lying about their virginity before marriage, or if you were allowed to sell your daughter as a sex slave. If you were at all in doubt that the answer is anything but no you need to get out in the world more.

The reality is that every member of one of these major religions is a hypocrite. I'm not sure it's their fault, the books are contradictory in nature to begin with. I can and have seen Quranic quotes speaking in more moderate/peaceful terms which contradicts the part of it you quoted. Religion is whatever you want it to be, how you interpret it tells you more about the person than it does the religion.

#70 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,181 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

It's as legitimate a question as asking a Christian if a woman should be put to death for lying about their virginity before marriage, or if you were allowed to sell your daughter as a sex slave. If you were at all in doubt that the answer is anything but no you need to get out in the world more.

The reality is that every member of one of these major religions is a hypocrite. I'm not sure it's their fault, the books are contradictory in nature to begin with. I can and have seen Quranic quotes speaking in more moderate/peaceful terms which contradicts the part of it you quoted. Religion is whatever you want it to be, how you interpret it tells you more about the person than it does the religion.

Very well said
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#71 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Call him a d-bag all you want, but remember his First Amendment right.

How about the saying "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"?

What First Amendment right?
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#72 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

I'd say a greater case can be made against you for advocating a violent and criminal act like this than for any jackassery committed by Jones.

Yes, because I'm so disturbed that I genuinely want him burned alive...

Nice to see you standing up for him again.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 12 April 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#73 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

What First Amendment right?

Does free speech protect hatespeech Wet? I know in Canada its not tolerated but in the states they have the KKK and Westboro
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#74 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

I think those Christian questions are legit too. And I agree with you, all members of religion are hypocrites. Religion has been the cause of global unrest ever since people started making them up.

But unlike you, I don't give anyone free passes. If people say they are believers and practicing members of any religion, then I have the right to ask them what parts of their holy scriptures do they abide by and which ones they conveniently disregard.

Killing anyone who burns the Quran is in the scriptures. So I guess the answer is most Muslims ignore that part.

HpkJUPw.jpg

#75 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

I think those Christian questions are legit too. And I agree with you, all members of religion are hypocrites. Religion has been the cause of global unrest ever since people started making them up.

But unlike you, I don't give anyone free passes. If people say they are believers and practicing members of any religion, then I have the right to ask them what parts of their holy scriptures do they abide by and which ones they conveniently disregard.

Killing anyone who burns the Quran is in the scriptures. So I guess the answer is most Muslims ignore that part.

The true irony in this is that the 3rd Caliph (one of the direct companions of Muhammad, and meritocratic leader) once ordered all Qurans to be burnt except the one in his hand.

Edited by AK_19, 12 April 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#76 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

"But I see a lot of Muslims calling for the death of people also"

THere are a lot of Muslims, a very big number, thus there will be a some on the extreme side. But if you can wrap your head around the idea of percentages you will be less concerned by the relatively few nutbars.

http://islam.about.c.../population.htm

"Nearly one-fourth of the world’s population today is Muslim. The Muslim population is a diverse community of believers spanning the globe. Over fifty countries have Muslim-majority populations, while other groups of believers are clustered in minority communities on nearly every continent.

#77 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

That's all very well and good but what's your point? That the bible also promotes violence? Yes it does. I'm not Christian and I never said anything about the bible. I was just pointing out that the Quran promotes violence.

It's funny how some fables became historic , when the others clearly wrote them to be metaphoric , but people will believe anything that is written ,especially in stone or ancient scroll

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#78 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Most people are like sheep they want to be led ,they have , do and will trade their freedoms away for a "promised" sense of security.

Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions.
Niccolo Machiavelli

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#79 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,269 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

All human beings are hypocrites.

Without religion, we'd still be small bands of non technological people roaming the earth...we never would have evolved to the state we are now...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#80 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Without religion, we'd still be small bands of non technological people roaming the earth...we never would have evolved to the state we are now...

That's quite the statement. You should elaborate.
Posted Image

#81 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,269 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

That's quite the statement. You should elaborate.

"Dr. Haidt believes that religion has played an important role in human evolution by strengthening and extending the cohesion provided by the moral systems. “If we didn’t have religious minds we would not have stepped through the transition to groupishness,” he said. “We’d still be just small bands roving around.”"

http://www.nytimes.c...=rssnyt&emc=rss

Don't get me wrong - I agree that religion has many flaws...first of which is how man exploits it....though that seems in our nature as we exploit just about anything...

Edited by Heretic, 12 April 2013 - 08:18 PM.

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#82 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

So religion invented the transistor and the microprocessor? Good to know.

The human race would be much more advanced if it weren't for the interference of religion.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 12 April 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#83 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,269 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

The human race would be much more advanced if it weren't for the interference of religion.

Source?

Posted Image

#84 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Source?

Common sense.

#85 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,269 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Common sense.

Common ignorance more like it?

Posted Image

#86 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Very wrong. We are where we are in the world because religion lost it's grip on societies. If religious leaders had their way back in the day, I bet we'd still be riding horses.

HpkJUPw.jpg

#87 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

So religion invented the transistor and the microprocessor? Good to know.

I'm not 100% sure about this. If it weren't religion, they'd just make something else up that would cause similar problems. Stuff like political parties, but more extreme. The human mind is obsessed with organizing things into groups.

#88 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Common ignorance more like it?

Come on Flanders, you can do better than that.

#89 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'm not 100% sure about this. If it weren't religion, they'd just make something else up that would cause similar problems. Stuff like political parties, but more extreme. The human mind is obsessed with organizing things into groups.

Brahma, organization is a good thing. Makes things much more efficient.

Control and oppression are not good things. That's the difference.

#90 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Brahma, organization is a good thing. Makes things much more efficient.

Control and oppression are not good things. That's the difference.

There is good and bad to organization. I'm just saying that even without religion, different groups would be created that would end up leading to the same types of problems such as control and oppression.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.