Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Burn 2,998 Qurans to commemorate 9/11 12th anniversary

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

#121 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,628 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

But it isn't in the name of atheism like apologists claim. It's simply a power struggle -- an attempt to establish dominance and wither out anything that can oppose these people. The fact Stalin was an atheist and the atrocities his regime committed, for example, has nothing to do with atheism.

Exactly, but you weren't replying to someone who was making that claim, so it's kind of irrelevant.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#122 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Seems like a catch 22. Maybe in this case he's not coming from a place of faith but a place of insecurity and anger.

Or he may just be a wack-a-doodle which seems most likely.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#123 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,032 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Exactly, but you weren't replying to someone who was making that claim, so it's kind of irrelevant.

Well, he said without religion, different groups would rise up and create similar problems that we see today. So who exactly is he referring to? Anyway, it's just a reaffirmation of the point because deluded people bring that garbage up all the time although I don't think there are many around here.
Posted Image

#124 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

What First Amendment right?

That's the Amendment that guarantees free speech. I thought constitutional law was your thing.

Anyways, under Canadian law, would his actions be in violation of some ridiculous "hate speech" law, or something to do with inciting violence?

#125 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,628 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

Well, he said without religion, different groups would rise up and create similar problems that we see today. So who exactly is he referring to? Anyway, it's just a reaffirmation of the point because deluded people bring that garbage up all the time although I don't think there are many around here.

Things like the ones I listed, likely. Nationalism and race are pretty big ones. Tribalism comes in many forms that aren't religious.

Yeah, I'm with you there. Arguing that atheism causes some sort of detrimental effect on society is not only logically unfounded, but it's demonstrably false.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#126 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

You said I'm clarifying some things. That's good. Cause I have nothing against any people. Seriously, white black chinese, none of them. I have friends in all of them. It's religion's intolerance and denial of people's rights and freedoms that I don't like.

Asking if everyday Muslims agree with the Quran's request that anyone burning the Quran or ridiculing Mohammed in any way be put to death is just that. A question.

Because I have a hard time accepting organized religions, I also question why people who say they believe the holy scriptures are the words and wishes of whatever god they chose to worship, chose to follow some of the holy book and ignore the others.

I think the Quran's call for non-believers to be conquered, converted or killed is plainly laid out for all to see. If peaceful Muslims choose to no longer follow those commands, I'm happy for it.

For the record, this doesn't exist.

#127 PlayoffHockey

PlayoffHockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

I bet hardly anyone in this conversation has ever stepped foot in a Mosque before. In fact, from reading every post in this thread Id doubt anyone here has done any serious studying of Islam and it's followers outside from maybe asking your "Islam friend at school". Go read the Quaran and go visit a Mosque or two and find out what it is that they preach instead of sitting online and coming up with your half-assed theories on what Islam really is.

these people still believe Dick Cheney's 911 Fairy Tale.

they are without a clue.
Posted ImagePosted Image

"I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I knew nothing about NHL GL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago. I was unattached to any team when I first started watching although I could easily have gone for the Philadelphia Flyers as my home team which I supported in my youth and for 20 years was the Fife Flyers."
~ Bodee

http://forum.canucks...me/page__st__30

#128 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

The problem isn't what religion is worse than the other. It is religion in general. It has done nothing but divide us into special interest groups who are after enough power to eliminate the other groups, in an effort to prove their god is bigger than yours.

Edited by puck n icehole, 14 April 2013 - 10:33 AM.

formerly......puck n icehole

#129 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

This will accomplish nothing but the incitement of more discord between us as members of the human race. Religion, as it is a form of mind control..(read money control) FEEDS on this sort of thing to sow disharmony. Religions are only as powerful as people, more specifically the adherents, allow them to be. On paper, they are nothing more than ideas, philosophies....however, in practice...not only with the "burning" of rival religious texts as in this context but also the arrogant group of individuals here in North Carolina that are attempting to completely circumvent the First amendment to the United States Constitution...it becomes a VERY dangerous weapon and a propaganda tool used to further sow disharmony. The problem is, that no religions were instituted and their blind followers indoctrinated overnight...so "deprogramming" them so to speak...isn't going to happen overnight either. Religion, and god...are two of mankind's worst inventions to date.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#130 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

these people still believe Dick Cheney's 911 Fairy Tale.

they are without a clue.

I'm shocked one of you took so long to get here. :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

#131 PlayoffHockey

PlayoffHockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

I'm shocked one of you took so long to get here. :D

911 Commission members themselves on record saying they never go to the bottom of what happened but ones like you pretend you have it figured out, i just think the victims family members deserved better, now please run away and inject as many vaccines as you can into your veins as soon as possible.
Posted ImagePosted Image

"I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I knew nothing about NHL GL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago. I was unattached to any team when I first started watching although I could easily have gone for the Philadelphia Flyers as my home team which I supported in my youth and for 20 years was the Fife Flyers."
~ Bodee

http://forum.canucks...me/page__st__30

#132 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

911 Commission members themselves on record saying they never go to the bottom of what happened but ones like you pretend you have it figured out, i just think the victims family members deserved better, now please run away and inject as many vaccines as you can into your veins as soon as possible.

LOLWUT?

Also I don't have anything figured out but I don't pretend that means I know more than anyone else...unlike you apparently.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#133 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Go ahead. But I'm sure no one will sentence you to death.

So these lsamic extremists have no problem with mass murder of innocent people but they object to book burnings?

Naw the book burning is against every single Muslim not just the extremists so that's why there was a big deal about this. Just like when that cartoonist made a picture of the prophet Mohammad and every Muslim was looking for that cartoonists head.

#134 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Naw the book burning is against every single Muslim not just the extremists so that's why there was a big deal about this. Just like when that cartoonist made a picture of the prophet Mohammad and every Muslim was looking for that cartoonists head.

And it turned out that the cartoons never came from Denmark in the first place and so all of the overreaction...the burning of the Danish flag...the death threats against the Danish cartoonist...was unnecessary. Jumping the gun seems to be a habit among all faiths though...even if there is no evidence of something egregious taking place (like the case with the Danish cartoonist) if enough of the group believe it it creates a firestorm and there are asinine death threats and stuff like that..a lot like what happened with Salman Rushdie.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 17 April 2013 - 03:17 PM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#135 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

And it turned out that the cartoons never came from Denmark in the first place and so all of the overreaction...the burning of the Danish flag...the death threats against the Danish cartoonist...was unnecessary. Jumping the gun seems to be a habit among all faiths though...even if there is no evidence of something egregious taking place (like the case with the Danish cartoonist) if enough of the group believe it it creates a firestorm and there are asinine death threats and stuff like that..a lot like what happened with Salman Rushdie.

I may be wrong but didn't a Danish newspaper called jylands-posten published a picture too resulting in outlash from people around the world? I'm not sure but that's what I read up lol

Edited by Kesbomb, 18 April 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#136 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

The guy is purchasing all 2998 copies of the book?

If so, the jokes on him....

#137 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

I may be wrong but didn't a Danish newspaper called jylands-posten published a picture too resulting in outlash from people around the world? I'm not sure but that's what I read up lol

No. That newspaper never published those photos. Those photos were photoshopped and came from other sources entirely. Al Jazeera and others falsely reported that and the Muslims just ran with it...burning their flag and sending death threats to the "cartoonist" involved.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.