The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our coach ain't bad....

Ronning4center

Unless we are out in the first round getting rid of AV would be an idiotic move. Hes one of the best coaches in the league. When

he gets a stacked team the wins pile up. When the team sucks and is basically Sedins and Shnieds we still win. Shnieds and Lu should get a lot of credit too. The only horrible move he made was the way he treated Hodgson... Why would he lie and say hes hurt if hes not? WTF

I'll say he's an amazing coach when and if he wins a Stanley Cup.

Who would I rank ahead of him?

Scotty Bowman (Simply the best)

Joel Quenneville (Out coached AV on more than one occasion)

Darryl Sutter

It's possible Jon Cooper of Tampa might be a great coach but it's way too soon to tell. His record in the AHL is impressive.

Ken Hitchcock. This is sort of a depends. Because he plays trap and defensive hockey to the hilt. But his record speaks for itself.

Mike Babcock. Despite rumblings, Babs has taken a team without it's greats of the past and is fighting for a playoff spot.

Despite the fact that Claude Julien has won a Stanley Cup vs. AV I'd say they are about even as coaching goes.

AV has a few flaws. He plays favourites, and he does not adapt very well if his system doesn't work.

He also seems to be struggling on preparation on the team for games/series.

He also seems to like 4th liners and grinders over talent. Maybe it's because he felt he never got a chance so he gives the career AHL'ers more breaks. Another weakness is he doesn't seem to be a good teacher. He's not challenging the vet's to improve play. He seems to rely on the vet's to motivate themselves.

He's a good coach. I just don't think he's an elite coach. Just saying you're one of the best coaches in Canucks history, if you look at our history, sadly that's a reflection on how bad this team was for much of it's existence.

Given a choice of Pat Quinn in his prime and AV? I'd take Quinn every time. Just Quinn wasn't the best scout/GM. But Quinn was one helluva coach.

Darryl Sutter

It's possible Jon Cooper of Tampa might be a great coach but it's way too soon to tell. His record in the AHL is impressive.

Ken Hitchcock. This is sort of a depends. Because he plays trap and defensive hockey to the hilt. But his record speaks for itself.

Mike Babcock. Despite rumblings, Babs has taken a team without it's greats of the past and is fighting for a playoff spot.

Despite the fact that Claude Julien has won a Stanley Cup vs. AV I'd say they are about even as coaching goes.

AV has a few flaws. He plays favourites, and he does not adapt very well if his system doesn't work.

He also seems to like 4th liners and grinders over talent. Maybe it's because he felt he never got a chance so he gives the career AHL'ers more breaks. Another weakness is he doesn't seem to be a good teacher. He's not challenging the vet's to improve play. He seems to rely on the vet's to motivate themselves.

He's a good coach. I just don't think he's an elite coach. Just saying you're one of the best coaches in Canucks history, if you look at our history, sadly that's a reflection on how bad this team was for much of it's existence.

Given a choice of Pat Quinn in his prime and AV? I'd take Quinn every time. Just Quinn wasn't the best scout/GM. But Quinn was one helluva coach.

Darryl Sutter

AV's not a good coach: he's a great coach, the best the Canucks have ever had & his numbers speak for themselves.

It's just that there's a couple coaches out there who are also great, & Canucks fans are a lil' (understandably) ravenous for a Stanley.

If AV & the Canucks had won in 2011 there'd be no Lou trade in the works, there'd be no "fire AV" posts on CDC after every loss, & there'd be picture of the Canucks with the Cup on my wall.

But we didn't, so there's the idea that maybe we should switch it up. I have to admit, when we won the President's in 2011, then went from 3-0 series lead to a Game 7 (that never should, but maybe had to happen) against the Hawks I said "If we lose this series, we need to fire AV." So I've thought it too, & I'll bet I'm not the only one.

Best available option for the Canucks. Until there is a better option, and there aren't many better coaches in the league, I support the coach and the team. I won't get on a firing bandwagon. That only allows the media to have a heyday trying to pander to the negative fans by stirring up a storm of negativity around AV. It was what happened with Luongo, and it creates distractions. I want my team to win and I will stand by whoever is leading it.

Yea when our team starts winning av's doing a good job and relaxed. When we lose 2 games we say fire av or critizice him. I love how you change so quick, he made wrong decisions face it, don't ignore what he did bad.

I see so just so I can clearly understand you you are saying: AV (being the Head Coach of the Vancouver Canucks) is NOT the Coach of the Canuck's Goalies... please state this in you next post as I would love to put it in my sig for all to see that. If this is what you truly believe you have ZERO hockey knowledge and it would be great for everyone to see so that they may just skip over your ignorant posts from now until such time as you just stop posting your garbage.

Best available option for the Canucks. Until there is a better option, and there aren't many better coaches in the league, I support the coach and the team. I won't get on a firing bandwagon. That only allows the media to have a heyday trying to pander to the negative fans by stirring up a storm of negativity around AV. It was what happened with Luongo, and it creates distractions. I want my team to win and I will stand by whoever is leading it.

What are you so upset about? Im here to discuss/debate, not trade insults. If you dont agree thats fine, but I dont get what compels you to treat so many of your fellow posters with disrespect.

As for the part you have bolded, I just dont see how AV should get credit (or blame) for good (or bad) goaltending. You know the adage "A good goalie can make a coach look really smart"? That refers to how goaltenders and head coach are interdependent to a large degree.

Ill give AV credit for goaltending when he starts working with them one on one, or goes over tape to address bad habits creeping into their game, or scouts goalies from other teams. In truth he defers to Melanson for all of that.

The team would be where it is without a coach. The core are such incredible leaders and the team doesn't seem to be affected by the coach at all. Look at the guys holding their own player meetings and such. That isn't AV's work.

Wow, they still keep Daniel on the point, do they not plan on fixing the pp before the playoffs start?

I guess injury concern for Kes going to front of the net, but he better be there in the playoffs.

It's real simple

Sedin-Kes-Sedin

Roy-Garrison/Edler

Blows my mind that Weise is still plugging it up with Roy and Kassian gets sent to the 4th line instead of putting Kassian with Roy and Weise back to the 4th line.

Archived