The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our coach ain't bad....

Ronning4center

Once again AV was bailed out by a hot goalie, just like how AV was bailed out by Luongo back in 07 when he won the Jack Adams award. Cory Schneider made AV look better then he was this year, even when Cory was playing the team was playing like crap and the team was lucky to win games because of Cory, not because of AV.

Guest Pinchin

For the record, I think AV is a great coach, so was Scotty Bowman, and he also had detractors. Put it in perspective people.

Once again AV was bailed out by a hot goalie, just like how AV was bailed out by Luongo back in 07 when he won the Jack Adams award. Cory Schneider made AV look better then he was this year, even when Cory was playing the team was playing like crap and the team was lucky to win games because of Cory, not because of AV.

Right he has been lucky for 6 years running now? :picard:

So if what you're saying here is true... then any of the playoff losses should equally be put on to the backs of Schneider and Luongo... and therefore AV gets a free pass from ALL playoff losses.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Guest Pinchin

Fact is AV blows always has and always will, took him 3 years to beat Chicago in the playoffs and still took him 7 games to figure it out and I doubt he even figured it out, the players just wanted it more and did the job for him.

Put AV on a struggling team without as much talent as the Canucks or as good of a goalie as the Canucks, AV and his defense style game would fail big time, because he wouldn't have a goalie to bail out his horrible style.

Fact is AV blows always has and always will, took him 3 years to beat Chicago in the playoffs and still took him 7 games to figure it out and I doubt he even figured it out, the players just wanted it more and did the job for him.

Put AV on a struggling team without as much talent as the Canucks or as good of a goalie as the Canucks, AV and his defense style game would fail big time, because he wouldn't have a goalie to bail out his horrible style.

AV hater's logic:

AV only suceeds because of hot goalies - no part to do with AV's coaching

if that is true then this must be equally true:

Babcock only wins because he had Datsuyk, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, etc etc

Bylsma only wins because of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, etc etc

Sutter only wins because of Kopitar, Brown, Mitchell, Quick etc etc

Juilien only wins because of Chara, Seguin, Horton, Thomas/Raask etc etc.

Quinville only wins because of Keith, Toews, Kane, Crawford etc etc.

Oh wow imagine that a team wins because it has good players... what a concept... If you mean that the Coaches don't actually suit up, play the other team and win... I can agree with that, but if AV is only as good as his good players the same can be said of every other winning coach in the league.

Edit: I wonder why NHL franchises even bother hiring and paying coaches at all... if only they could take CDC logic and realize that only hot players win games... gee I wonder why NYR don't win the cup every year come to think of it.

People want him to jump about shouting profanities and generally making an erse (Scots word) of himself but as I have alluded to before our core and indeed most of our players are intelligent, mature and dedicated to performance...........so they need a coach who appreciates that and tinkers and adjusts in such a way that the mechanism performs at its optimum. AV is exactly right for this team.

If you see what I mean.

In other words our team is a high performance car that needs the occasional tuning and tweaking not stripped down and rebuilt.

AV hater's logic:

Oh wow imagine that a team wins because it has good players... what a concept... If you mean that the Coaches don't actually suit up, play the other team and win... I can agree with that, but if AV is only as good as his good players the same can be said of every other winning coach in the league.

If this team's only success is due to hot goaltending all that you mentioned is on them... It took 3 years for the GOALIES to beat Chicago, it took THEM 7 games to figure it out.

"Fact is AV Blows always has and always will" Is actually not a fact in the slightest

Fact is AV is the winningest coach in franchise history in far fewer games than the next closest.

Fact is Under AV the Canucks have either won the division or more and made it to the real season the vast majority of seasons.

Fact is Under AV a lot of players who were young and up and comers thrived under his Coaching, including Schnieder (his only reason for sucess this year - according to you)

These are facts... what you state are opinions.

Fact AV yes does have the most wins ever, but also has had the best team ever skilled in Canucks history, so he should have the most wins ever. Opinion - And can also be credited to coaching

Fact this team has had one of the best 3 lines ever since back in the 94 era. Opinion - and can also be credited to coaching (Who were the Centers for most of the season again?)

Fact this team has had the best goalie ever in Canucks history. Agreed but it can also be credited to coaching style (defence first)

Fact AV came out publicaly and said he didn't know how to coach this team without Daniel in the lineup, for their round 1 playoffs last year. Maybe I didn't hear that particular quote but I won't dispute it... for any coach it's hard to coach without their leading goal scorer

Fact AV sits on 1 goal leads and lets other teams continue to pepper them in their own zone to just play defense and hope to hold onto a lead instead of finishing the other team off, hense the results from Chicago in back to back years. Opinion - As I have seen them not sit on 1 goal leads before too you are just generalizing

Fact AV doesn't know when to call a timeout properly to settle his players down. Opinion. Says who? Who is the Timeout expert there that says when or when it's not appropriate to call a time out? You?

Fact AV doesn't know when to pull a goalie when it's clearly not his night. Opinion as I have seen him pull goalies before when its not their night, but He also has to deal with the players afterwards if Luongo wants to stay in... let him stay in.

Fact AV doesn't know what to say to his players to get them motivated to get his players to wake up. Opinion - Yah I guess they have slept their way to a division lead.

Fact AV demotes players who are producing for no reason.Opinion - Just because YOU don't know the reason doesn't mean there isn't one

Fact AV likes under rated players who are gringers who remind him of himself when he played, and those players shouldn't be promoted so high in lines when they are clearly not that skilled of players. Opinion - You are the expert on where players should be playing? Who do you mean? The AHL guys AV has had to work with this season?

Fact AV makes so many line changes game in and out and then wonders why there is no chemistry. Complete Opinion - A sign of a good anything is adaptability... if he is adapting to a change in game conditions its obviously working as the Canucks win with a pretty sad forward group.

AV hater's logic:

Edit: I wonder why NHL franchises even bother hiring and paying coaches at all... if only they could take CDC logic and realize that only hot players win games... gee I wonder why NYR don't win the cup every year come to think of it.

I disagree with decisions AV makes quite regularly, but the bottom line is You can't argue with success.

Before AV the team missed the playoffs.

Since AV all they've done is win.

As long as the team keeps winning under AV then there really is no rational argument to get rid of him.

Archived