The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Broken Hearted - The Kristian Nervik Nilsen Story

Froggy Fresh

The story of former Norwegian hockey player Kristian Nervik Nilsen who was forced to retire at age 17 due to a heart condition. When Henrik and Daniel Sedin heard Kristen's story, they flew Kristen to Vancouver to take in a Canucks game and meet the team

Just further proof of how great of people the Sedins really are.

Did this happen recently? I know that the Sedins invited him over a year ago so I'm wondering if, with the lockout and everything, it's taken a while for him to actually have a chance to advantage of the twins' invitation.

From Aftonbladet, March 15th, 2012 (translations courtesy of "Per" at CanucksCorner):

Stopped by heart condition – comforted by the Sedins

Kristian+Nervik+Nilsen.jpg

Kristian, 16: ”It feels incredible that they take the time”

A heart condition stopped Brynäs’s Norwegian junior player Kristian Nervik Nilsen from continuing with hockey. This week he found a silver lining as the Sedin brothers invited him to Vancouver.

“It feels incredible that they take the time to stop and think about things like this,” says Kristian to Gefle Dagblad.

A month ago Kristian Nervik Nilsen received the message that would change his life. A genetic heart condition prevents him from continuing with hockey. He’s not even allowed to practice with Brynäs’s B-juniors any longer.

When Daniel and Henrik read about Kristian’s tragic fate they acted . They sent a letter and a signed hockey stick that has been used in an NHL game to Brynäs’s head office.

“I was stunned. It said that I was invited to Vancouver, and apart from meeting them I’ll also get to watch an NHL game. It’d be a fantastic experience! We’ll see if it comes true.. The stick will get a special place any way,” says Kristian.

The Sedin twins were last year nominated to the Foundation Award, an award given to an NHL player who has enriched life for people in the society.

“It feels incredible that they take the time to stop and think about these things. I mean, they are superstars and of course huge in Norway as well. These are players I’ve looked up to and had as role models,” says Kristian.

Kalle Karlsson

This is just another example of why I scoff at the suggestion of ever trading the Sedins.

Yes I know we don't have a long tradition of winning and we came up short 3 times at bringing the cup home to Vancouver. But we won big time when we got Hank and Daniel. They waited out all the harsh criticism early on, they've dazzled us with their on ice magic, they've exceeded everyone's expectations by Hank winning the Hart Trophy and Daniel being runner up (ROBBED!)

There is more to being great than just the on ice performance and the Sedins are great all around. That's why they should always be Canucks until we raise their jersey numbers into the rafters.

The Sedins are the perfect players to represent the NHL.

They play clean, they compete hard and put up tons of highlight reel plays. Their generosity on top of that and being twins to boot make them easily great ambassadors to celebrate our game.

...and the NHL media is to stupid to grasp what is right in front of their stupid biased faces. Far more content to slander negatively just because they play in a city they don't like because it doesn't snow there.

Archived