The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Knew There’s Yoga Mat in Your Hamburger Bun?

aGENT

http://blogs.prevent...-hamburger-bun/

What’s yoga mat material doing in a hamburger bun?

Azodicarbonamide is a chemical used “in the production of foamed plastics.” It’s used to make sneaker soles and gym mats.

In the United States, it is also used in our food, as a food additive and flour bleaching agent.

This “ingredient” is most often found in breads, boxed noodle mixes, and packaged baked goods.

So why in the world are we using it in our food?

Back in our grandmothers’ days, bread would go stale within a day or two and grow mold by the end of the week. Not fun but natural. In order to address this concern for food retailers, the industry began adding this foaming agent in order to extend the shelf life of bread and preserve it. To pump it up and plump it up in order to keep it fresh and enhance their profitability.

Around the world, most countries wait about a week for flour to whiten on its own, but the American food processors prefer to use this chemical to bleach the flour here because time is money.

The United States is one of the only developed countries in the world that allows something used in shoes and gym mats to also be used in sandwiches. You can get up to 15 years in prison and be fined nearly half a million dollars for using this chemical in Singapore. It is banned as a food additive and in food packaging in the United Kingdom whose “Health and Safety Executive” considers it a “respiratory sensitizer.” Europe and Australia ban the use of this chemical, azodicarbonamide, too, because it has been linked to asthma and other allergic reactions, as cited by the World Health Organization.

But are we allergic to wheat or what is being done to it?

In the last twenty years, we have seen an epidemic increase in allergies, asthma, ADHD and autism, including a:

• 400% increase in food allergies

• 300% increase in asthma, with a 56% increase in asthma deaths

It’s time to rethink food, rethink the role of the FDA in light of its shrinking budget and capacity to regulate our food system and to require that independent scientific studies be conducted, not only for the health of our children, but also for the sake of our increasingly burdened health care system and the toll that the chronic rates of diseases and their escalating costs are having on the health of our economy.

Now what could possibly go wrong on an all instant noodle diet?

**********************************************************************************************************

A teenage girl survives on a diet of 11 pence packets of noodles because she is scared of fruit and vegetables.

Georgi Readman, 18, eats 30 miles of the cheap snack every year because she suffers from Selective Eating Disorder which means she can't bring herself to eat other foods because she is scared of being sick.

She has consumed so many instant chicken noodles that laid out they would stretch from London to Glasgow.

Georgi, from Shanklin, Isle of Wight, is 5ft 3in tall but weighs just seven stone. She lives on a diet of nine packets of M Savers chicken noodles from Morrisons each week and doesn't like other brands because some of them have green flavouring.

She often eats two packets in one go and has an entire kitchen cupboard filled with her supplies.

The teenager also occasionally eats potatoes and small bits of chicken.

Georgi got hooked on noodles when she was five after watching her brother Jason, now aged 25, eat them.

She said: 'I just love noodles. Mum goes to the supermarket and brings back as many packets as she can afford. Luckily they're only 11p.

'I always fancy noodles and could easily eat two packets at once. I've even eaten them dry and uncooked before.

'I can eat other noodles but I would have to sieve them to get rid off all the horrible green bits.

But Georgi's food obsession has left her so malnourished that her doctor thought she had leukemia and told her she had the health of an 80-year-old woman.

She said: 'I have such a big issue with fruit or veg because I hate the texture.

'When I try and eat it I go into panic and get the sweats, and then start heaving when I try to swallow.

'I can't go round my friends' for dinner or go out for meals with them because I don't want them to see me freak out if the side salad touches the stuff I do eat.

article-2306236-1930B7E4000005DC-398_634x422.jpg

Full article can be found here. http://www.dailymail...-fruit-veg.html

Archived