The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Schneider finally proven he can be a starting goalie?

hockeyfan90

Schneider could run the table and I still wouldn't be convinced. Playing 30-something games in an abbreviated schedule is not the same as 60-70 over many months of hockey. Completely different ball-game. However he has proved he can play well and consistently over long stretches.

That being said, the playoffs is whole new beast. Even Cup winning goalies like Quick and Thomas had a few playoff failures, despite putting together solid regular seasons, before they could orchestrate a historic cup run. The only goalie in the last decade really who came out of nowhere, with no past playoff experience, and won a Cup was Niemi but he had a rediculously stacked team and defence in front of him to bail him out.

I now trust Schneider during the regular season, but don't trust him in the playoffs as much as I would Luongo. We've seen what Lu can do and how he comes up big in big games. Meanwhile Schneider has 1 playoff victory and no big-stage wins. Sure, everyone will be harboring about "giving him a chance", but we don't have 2 or 3 years for him to get that chance - we need a proven playoff performer in net NOW. And that's Luongo, like it or not.

Luongo has won 15 games in a Cup run. Schneider has won 1. I'm not saying Schneider isn't better than Luongo, but his track record has yet to be proven.

Schneider could run the table and I still wouldn't be convinced. Playing 30-something games in an abbreviated schedule is not the same as 60-70 over many months of hockey. Completely different ball-game. However he has proved he can play well and consistently over long stretches.

That being said, the playoffs is whole new beast. Even Cup winning goalies like Quick and Thomas had a few playoff failures, despite putting together solid regular seasons, before they could orchestrate a historic cup run. The only goalie in the last decade really who came out of nowhere, with no past playoff experience, and won a Cup was Niemi but he had a rediculously stacked team and defence in front of him to bail him out.

I now trust Schneider during the regular season, but don't trust him in the playoffs as much as I would Luongo. We've seen what Lu can do and how he comes up big in big games. Meanwhile Schneider has 1 playoff victory and no big-stage wins. Sure, everyone will be harboring about "giving him a chance", but we don't have 2 or 3 years for him to get that chance - we need a proven playoff performer in net NOW. And that's Luongo, like it or not.

Most likely they were talking about a FULL season, as it stands he has played great this season but look at the amount of games played the past 3 season for each player

Schneider

2010-11 - 25gp

2011-12- 33gp

2012-13-25gp

Luongo

2010-11 60gp

2011-12 55 gp

2012-13 17gp

Schneider has played 8 games less this season than he did last, although in a shortened season. If he was the undisputed 1st he would have started a higher percentage of games.

Luongo's 2010/11 and 2011/12 gp is what a starter can expect to play(in a full season) and he has yet to play 55 or 60 games(Below Luongo's seaon average) in a season, so no he has not proven he can stand up to the rigorous demands of the starter position yet and keep up a good standard of play, that is what next season is going to prove.

Playoffs is another story, Since Luongo is critiqued as a playoff choker, this year schneider is most likely the starter and he will have to get us into the 2nd round or better, with as little goal support as canuck goalies are used to in the playoffs, most likely due to the bipolar nature of canuck fans if we do not get out of the 1st round schneider will either get excuses made for him or Roasted by Luongo lovers and the media will have a heyday with speculation if it was better to go with Luongo or not and it will be fodder for trade schneider speculations

Schneider still has not played a full season as an NHL starter so I would say he is still unproven. His numbers look great but he hasn't started more than 28 games in a season. We still don't know how he would handle the toll of 60+ regular season games and then a playoff run. That's why it would be a huge mistake to trade Luongo before knowing if Schneider can stand up to the full grind of being a starting goaltender.

Schneider still has not played a full season as an NHL starter so I would say he is still unproven. His numbers look great but he hasn't started more than 28 games in a season. We still don't know how he would handle the toll of 60+ regular season games and then a playoff run. That's why it would be a huge mistake to trade Luongo before knowing if Schneider can stand up to the full grind of being a starting goaltender.

give it a break.. regardless of who's in net we ain't going to the SCF lol.. this team have no consistency.. and u can't just flip a switch on in the playoff... we don't have the skill.. we have a slowly declining Sedins.. a who knows how healthy Kesler.. and the most overrated defense in the league.. that does not add up to a team turning it on and making a run.

Archived