The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Schneider finally proven he can be a starting goalie?

hockeyfan90

No. In order to be a proven starting goalie, it has to been at least 3 years of solid numbers as a starting goalie. Not just 1 or 2 seaons with good numbers.

Proven starting goalies are the likes of Miller, Kipper, Luongo, Brodeur etc. Not 1 or 2 years goalies like Halak, Schneider etc....

Lol I don't know what he's (downundavanuck) talking about either. That guy is always over the top with the stuff he says. I'm guessing he means the year they went to cup final bc didn't other years they lost in first and second round with Lu in net? Also, Lu was horrible in game 7 of scf, but to be fair so was the whole team. But he did have some good series that year.

I get that last year MG came out and announced that Schneider was #1 blah blah...but stuff happens and oh well LOU'S STILL HERE AND HE'S STILL AN EXCELLENT GOALIE. So why not just treat them as 1A and 1B and let them push each other and push the team. I don't get why letting Lou sulk on the bench is in any way healthy for the team. This guy was the CAPTAIN a few years ago and the biggest STAR on the team and now he's chopped liver. I really don't follow this one.

As TSN discusses the chances of Schneider winning the Vezina, CDC discusses the question, "has Schneider finally proven he can be a starting goalie?" Unless someone on here actually thinks there are 30 goalies better than Schneider, then let's end this conversation. It's almost as bad as the "are the Sedins first liners?" debate eventhough they were leading the league in scoring.

This could be true.I thought the question was about Cory,who has proven himself as a regular season goalie.He has also proven to this point in time to be a failure in post season i.e. last seasons playoffs played 3 lost 2. Not much more to be said.

if you are talking about during that span.. he actually have god like stats in elimination games up until game 6 vs the hawk that year when he gave up 7 goals =\ record wise it's about 50/50 and despite losing game 7 to boston.. i believe Luongo still have a winning record in game 7s played even with the lost to boston and his records in 1 game winner takes all he also have a winning record.. i'm talking about single game elimination not you are leading a series 3-0 3-1 3-2 etc..

you guys can say all you want about him being inconsistent which is true.. but you can't say he's a terrible goalie in single game elimination or game 7 and you'd take any avg/decent goalie over him

U guys are funny. Slamming Lu while cherry picking stats fo Schneider. FACT IS Schneider hasn't won a playoff round.

Truth is I NEVER wanted Lu on that terrible contract. Would rather Nucks trade his rights and go with Schneider back then.

But what's done is done and Nucks should be grateful they have two #1 goalies. IF the Nucks falter, it will not be the goalies fault but in scoring.

Quick and Thomas had those games over several seasons as a starter - Schneider played them all in spot-starts. Stats don't tell the whole story. I feel that by playing through those earlier series and losses by Quick and Thomas made them understand what it takes to win playoff series, both mentally and physically. That's why playing a series to its completeness is far better experience than just a couple of games here and there like Schneider.

And as far as I'm concerned, you can throw out a goalie's percentages out the window for the playoffs. Sure, a hot goalie is hard to beat, but timing and clutch performances are EVERYTHING in the playoffs. Look at Niemi. He was far from spectacular, a 2.60+ GAA, but made the big saves when he had to. Sure, his team was fantastic, but its clutch performances that win Cups, not necessarily consistent goaltending. Thomas is another good example. He was ventilated all series long against Tampa Bay and Montreal, but came up huge in the penultimate games with a 1-0 victory over Tampa.

The same can be said for Luongo. Sure he's not consistent, but you DO know what you're going to get out of his play - huge performances when it matters most. He stole us the franchise's biggest game in 40 years against Chicago, which, if lost, would have seen the biggest reconstruction in the league (as well as the biggest embarassment in pro-sports) and had 3 giant performances in the SCF despite playing behind an AHL, injured squad. Luongo is a proven big-game player - Schneider is not.

I know Schneider played well against Los Angeles, and we probably wouldn't have won that series anyway, but he was the one who let in the season ending goal. It was a goalie duel between him and Quick, and Schneider lost in the 1 big game he's ever really played for us. Luongo's record in big, season-deciding games is sparkling.

I'd love to see how Schneider fares in the playoffs, but quite frankly we don't have the time or opportunities to see how he does in these big games that could end our season. Schneider may play consistently well for the rest of the season, but if we end up in a Game 7 situation I'd put my money on Luongo any day over Schneider. Game 7 is a very different situation for a goalie compared to just another regular season game.

This could be true.I thought the question was about Cory,who has proven himself as a regular season goalie.He has also proven to this point in time to be a failure in post season i.e. last seasons playoffs played 3 lost 2. Not much more to be said.

Quick and Thomas had those games over several seasons as a starter - Schneider played them all in spot-starts. Stats don't tell the whole story. I feel that by playing through those earlier series and losses by Quick and Thomas made them understand what it takes to win playoff series, both mentally and physically. That's why playing a series to its completeness is far better experience than just a couple of games here and there like Schneider.

And as far as I'm concerned, you can throw out a goalie's percentages out the window for the playoffs. Sure, a hot goalie is hard to beat, but timing and clutch performances are EVERYTHING in the playoffs. Look at Niemi. He was far from spectacular, a 2.60+ GAA, but made the big saves when he had to. Sure, his team was fantastic, but its clutch performances that win Cups, not necessarily consistent goaltending. Thomas is another good example. He was ventilated all series long against Tampa Bay and Montreal, but came up huge in the penultimate games with a 1-0 victory over Tampa.

The same can be said for Luongo. Sure he's not consistent, but you DO know what you're going to get out of his play - huge performances when it matters most. He stole us the franchise's biggest game in 40 years against Chicago, which, if lost, would have seen the biggest reconstruction in the league (as well as the biggest embarassment in pro-sports) and had 3 giant performances in the SCF despite playing behind an AHL, injured squad. Luongo is a proven big-game player - Schneider is not.

I know Schneider played well against Los Angeles, and we probably wouldn't have won that series anyway, but he was the one who let in the season ending goal. It was a goalie duel between him and Quick, and Schneider lost in the 1 big game he's ever really played for us. Luongo's record in big, season-deciding games is sparkling.

I'd love to see how Schneider fares in the playoffs, but quite frankly we don't have the time or opportunities to see how he does in these big games that could end our season. Schneider may play consistently well for the rest of the season, but if we end up in a Game 7 situation I'd put my money on Luongo any day over Schneider. Game 7 is a very different situation for a goalie compared to just another regular season game.

It really doesn't matter what fans think in this instance. The management of the team has obviously decided that Schneider is the goalie of the future. Lu was on the trade market all year and by the latest information, MG was ready to let him go for very little. Most people agree that it would be easy to have traded Schneids, but they preferred to hang on to him.

It's difficult for a lot of fans to see Lu sitting on the bench and most of us can understand how awful he must feel. During the off season, Lu will be motivated to include other teams in possible trades. I think he wants to be with or closer to his family; which means most eastern or southern teams. I for one, hope they can move him to a Florida team. I hope for Lu that he can have the best of both his worlds: happy family life and #1 goalie on a decent team.

It's time to accept the Canucks decision and support Schneids.

"We are all Canucks"

i understand there are the Lu lovers and the Schneider lovers.. but what the heck have Luongo done to spawn all these haters that will do anything and everything to run him out of town every possible chance they have

lol, so just because I think Lu should remain on the team, I am not a Canucks Fan? But wanting Cory to be the starter makes you a genuine Canucks fan?

That is the most disrespectful thing I have heard as an argument.

Archived