Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Has Schneider finally proven he can be a starting goalie?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#91 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,875 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Quick had 12 playoff games and Thomas had 18 before they won a cup. Cory has 8. What is really interesting is that both Quick and Thomas had at least .940sv% during their cup runs. Cory's 8 are at .940% but last year he was (3) .960%. The only time Lu reached .940 was his first year here (2007 -12 games .941%).

Cory is the starter. If for some reason he fails, then we are lucky to have Lu come in. The real ? will be the team in front of the goaltenders.

Quick and Thomas had those games over several seasons as a starter - Schneider played them all in spot-starts. Stats don't tell the whole story. I feel that by playing through those earlier series and losses by Quick and Thomas made them understand what it takes to win playoff series, both mentally and physically. That's why playing a series to its completeness is far better experience than just a couple of games here and there like Schneider.

And as far as I'm concerned, you can throw out a goalie's percentages out the window for the playoffs. Sure, a hot goalie is hard to beat, but timing and clutch performances are EVERYTHING in the playoffs. Look at Niemi. He was far from spectacular, a 2.60+ GAA, but made the big saves when he had to. Sure, his team was fantastic, but its clutch performances that win Cups, not necessarily consistent goaltending. Thomas is another good example. He was ventilated all series long against Tampa Bay and Montreal, but came up huge in the penultimate games with a 1-0 victory over Tampa.

The same can be said for Luongo. Sure he's not consistent, but you DO know what you're going to get out of his play - huge performances when it matters most. He stole us the franchise's biggest game in 40 years against Chicago, which, if lost, would have seen the biggest reconstruction in the league (as well as the biggest embarassment in pro-sports) and had 3 giant performances in the SCF despite playing behind an AHL, injured squad. Luongo is a proven big-game player - Schneider is not.

I know Schneider played well against Los Angeles, and we probably wouldn't have won that series anyway, but he was the one who let in the season ending goal. It was a goalie duel between him and Quick, and Schneider lost in the 1 big game he's ever really played for us. Luongo's record in big, season-deciding games is sparkling.

I'd love to see how Schneider fares in the playoffs, but quite frankly we don't have the time or opportunities to see how he does in these big games that could end our season. Schneider may play consistently well for the rest of the season, but if we end up in a Game 7 situation I'd put my money on Luongo any day over Schneider. Game 7 is a very different situation for a goalie compared to just another regular season game.
Posted Image

#92 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

Luongo's record in big, season-deciding games is sparkling.

Sparkling, not the word most would use...
Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

#93 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

Lol I don't know what he's (downundavanuck) talking about either. That guy is always over the top with the stuff he says. I'm guessing he means the year they went to cup final bc didn't other years they lost in first and second round with Lu in net? Also, Lu was horrible in game 7 of scf, but to be fair so was the whole team. But he did have some good series that year.

Edited by Gonz, 13 April 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#94 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

Quick and Thomas had those games over several seasons as a starter - Schneider played them all in spot-starts. Stats don't tell the whole story. I feel that by playing through those earlier series and losses by Quick and Thomas made them understand what it takes to win playoff series, both mentally and physically. That's why playing a series to its completeness is far better experience than just a couple of games here and there like Schneider.

And as far as I'm concerned, you can throw out a goalie's percentages out the window for the playoffs. Sure, a hot goalie is hard to beat, but timing and clutch performances are EVERYTHING in the playoffs. Look at Niemi. He was far from spectacular, a 2.60+ GAA, but made the big saves when he had to. Sure, his team was fantastic, but its clutch performances that win Cups, not necessarily consistent goaltending. Thomas is another good example. He was ventilated all series long against Tampa Bay and Montreal, but came up huge in the penultimate games with a 1-0 victory over Tampa.

The same can be said for Luongo. Sure he's not consistent, but you DO know what you're going to get out of his play - huge performances when it matters most. He stole us the franchise's biggest game in 40 years against Chicago, which, if lost, would have seen the biggest reconstruction in the league (as well as the biggest embarassment in pro-sports) and had 3 giant performances in the SCF despite playing behind an AHL, injured squad. Luongo is a proven big-game player - Schneider is not.

I know Schneider played well against Los Angeles, and we probably wouldn't have won that series anyway, but he was the one who let in the season ending goal. It was a goalie duel between him and Quick, and Schneider lost in the 1 big game he's ever really played for us. Luongo's record in big, season-deciding games is sparkling.

I'd love to see how Schneider fares in the playoffs, but quite frankly we don't have the time or opportunities to see how he does in these big games that could end our season. Schneider may play consistently well for the rest of the season, but if we end up in a Game 7 situation I'd put my money on Luongo any day over Schneider. Game 7 is a very different situation for a goalie compared to just another regular season game.

Did you put money on game 7 of the Boston series?

#95 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

[public service announcement]

Please stop pretending to know anything, it is getting on everyone's nerves.

You know who this applies to...

[public service announcement]

Downundacanuck?

#96 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

Oh......

We're still "pretending" that Luongo is a "partial" starter and is challenging Schneids for the starting spot :lol:

We can stop this anytime guys because at this point we aren't accomplishing anything.. it's time for Luongo to find a new home instead of looking like he's important "coaching" players when they skate off the bench :picard:

Count the losses, trade him, resign Roy, and find someone who can actually score. Our top scorer only has 12 goals. :shock:

#97 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,361 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

His inconsistent play is consistently inconsistent.... Wouldn't that make him consistent?

To down under, Lou scares the hell out of me in the playoffs because you never know who will show up.

I actually feel this way about the entire team and also the coaching staff........

#98 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

Lu sealed his own fate. Game #5, post-presser, SCF, he took the bait the media threw him...Uh oh, I remember thinking..Uh, well maybe he's a confident guy who's finally ready to truly deliver, I thought/HOPED! to myself.

When he let in that garbage shot by Marchand, back in Beantown...Man, I knew then the dream was toast. Oh well..had his chance. Couldn't back up the assertiveness. Should have bit his tongue, back in spring 2011. The media hated our boys, & were looking for ANYTHING to use as ammo/bulletin-board-mat for the thugs. Lu SHOULD have known better, as a 10 yr-vet.

Yes some Lu-fans will scorn/ridicule this post...Sure, everyone's entitled to their views.

#99 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

Yes some Lu-fans will scorn/ridicule this post...Sure, everyone's entitled to their views.

I hope they do, that way I know who to put on my ignore list. No way do I want to see posts from people that delusional

#100 cbj

cbj

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

LOL
CBJ

#101 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

No. In order to be a proven starting goalie, it has to been at least 3 years of solid numbers as a starting goalie. Not just 1 or 2 seaons with good numbers.
Proven starting goalies are the likes of Miller, Kipper, Luongo, Brodeur etc. Not 1 or 2 years goalies like Halak, Schneider etc....

Edited by Understand, 14 April 2013 - 12:32 AM.

#102 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,875 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Game 1 against Dallas, 2007. Pretty much sets a record.
Game 7 against Dallas. Steals the game and out-duels Turco who had 3 shutouts that series.
Then has a few series of losses (similar to the latest Cup winners), puts it all together and performs well in some more huge games.
Overtime, gold medal game (and even the game before that, huge save off Demitra late in the game).
Game 7 against Chicago. People still don't realize the magnitude of that game. Sure, he had 2 bad games that series, but came up big when it mattered most.
Game 5 against San Jose. Luongo was peppered with 54 shots, but still comes up big, clinches the series.
Game 1 of the SCF. He didn't steal Game 2, but he definately did Game 5. Without Luongo that series is a sweep. You can't blame Lu for the 4 goals in the final game - from what I remember, Lucic scored one pretty much standing alone on the crease, Marchand or Peverley had a breakaway and our defenceman knocked the puck in and another was an odd-man rush.

Oh......
We're still "pretending" that Luongo is a "partial" starter and is challenging Schneids for the starting spot :lol:

Regular season and playoffs are a different thing for all players. Schneider may be our starter now, but come playoff time I prefer our chances with Luongo in net.

Simply put, no other player let alone goalie in the league right now has faced as many pressure situations and come up on top. Maybe Crosby and Toews, but the pressure on a 20-year old forward in an American city is far less than a proven veteran goalie in Canada. I don't like Schneider's chances in that same pressure and under the same spotlight. We've got a guy who is used to that and who has learned so much from his achievements, mistakes and experience, so why not go with him?
Posted Image

#103 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Lol I don't know what he's (downundavanuck) talking about either. That guy is always over the top with the stuff he says. I'm guessing he means the year they went to cup final bc didn't other years they lost in first and second round with Lu in net? Also, Lu was horrible in game 7 of scf, but to be fair so was the whole team. But he did have some good series that year.

Actually we never lost in the first round with Lou in net, though LA might've been the first given how the team played in front of Schneids, but we will never know.

#104 Skate or Don't

Skate or Don't

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

I get that last year MG came out and announced that Schneider was #1 blah blah...but stuff happens and oh well LOU'S STILL HERE AND HE'S STILL AN EXCELLENT GOALIE. So why not just treat them as 1A and 1B and let them push each other and push the team. I don't get why letting Lou sulk on the bench is in any way healthy for the team. This guy was the CAPTAIN a few years ago and the biggest STAR on the team and now he's chopped liver. I really don't follow this one.

Edited by Skate or Don't, 14 April 2013 - 01:00 AM.

so taco

#105 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

Then has a few series of losses

Yes, let's just ignore those and call his playoff performaces sparkling. Stop drinking the kool aid.
Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

#106 rambo1515

rambo1515

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

As TSN discusses the chances of Schneider winning the Vezina, CDC discusses the question, "has Schneider finally proven he can be a starting goalie?" Unless someone on here actually thinks there are 30 goalies better than Schneider, then let's end this conversation. It's almost as bad as the "are the Sedins first liners?" debate eventhough they were leading the league in scoring.

#107 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

i understand there are the Lu lovers and the Schneider lovers.. but what the heck have Luongo done to spawn all these haters that will do anything and everything to run him out of town every possible chance they have

#108 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:58 AM

This could be true.I thought the question was about Cory,who has proven himself as a regular season goalie.He has also proven to this point in time to be a failure in post season i.e. last seasons playoffs played 3 lost 2. Not much more to be said.

Can you honestly say you watched or remember last years playoffs? :blink:
Posted Image

#109 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:07 AM

This is simple: Lou has had SIX years to get it done here and all you need to look at is his record in elimination games (for either team) during that span. He is NOT a money goalie.

#110 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

if you are talking about during that span.. he actually have god like stats in elimination games up until game 6 vs the hawk that year when he gave up 7 goals =\ record wise it's about 50/50 and despite losing game 7 to boston.. i believe Luongo still have a winning record in game 7s played even with the lost to boston and his records in 1 game winner takes all he also have a winning record.. i'm talking about single game elimination not you are leading a series 3-0 3-1 3-2 etc..

you guys can say all you want about him being inconsistent which is true.. but you can't say he's a terrible goalie in single game elimination or game 7 and you'd take any avg/decent goalie over him

#111 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

U guys are funny. Slamming Lu while cherry picking stats fo Schneider. FACT IS Schneider hasn't won a playoff round.

Truth is I NEVER wanted Lu on that terrible contract. Would rather Nucks trade his rights and go with Schneider back then.

But what's done is done and Nucks should be grateful they have two #1 goalies. IF the Nucks falter, it will not be the goalies fault but in scoring.

I dont think lack of scoring really matters that much if your goalie is giving up 5 to 8 goals per game. Scoring however was an issue in the LA series because we actually had a chance to win those games. We only had to muster up 2 goals per game to win with Schneider.

#112 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

I probably should get one because if he gets traded, it'll be another 5 years before another goaltender takes Vancouver to the Stanley Cup Final (and his name won't be Schneider).

Luongo didn't take the 117 point Presidents trophy winners to the Final either.

It's posts like this that make me wish Sharp had scored.

#113 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

Luongo didn't take the 117 point Presidents trophy winners to the Final either.

It's posts like this that make me wish Sharp had scored.

That was an unbelievable stop by Luu! Then we went to slay the dragon. Luu for prime minister

#114 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

Sparkling????? Way too much Australian sun I fear...brain dead !!

#115 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

This could be true.I thought the question was about Cory,who has proven himself as a regular season goalie.He has also proven to this point in time to be a failure in post season i.e. last seasons playoffs played 3 lost 2. Not much more to be said.

Are you on drugs??? 4 goals against in 3 games vs Lou's 7 goals against in two and you have the balls to call that a failure on Schneider's part. The only thing he didn't do is score. It was a team loss and you can't by any stretch blame Cory. Your boy Lou put us behind the 8 ball in the first two games.

#116 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Really knowing what were gonna get outta Luongo in the playoffs is the LAST thing i would say. I have no ???? clue if this is the day he has a meltdown or posts a shutout. I would hardly call him consistent in the playoffs. In fact his wild inconstancy in the playoffs is exactly why so many ppl doubt him.

#117 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

It really doesn't matter what fans think in this instance. The management of the team has obviously decided that Schneider is the goalie of the future. Lu was on the trade market all year and by the latest information, MG was ready to let him go for very little. Most people agree that it would be easy to have traded Schneids, but they preferred to hang on to him.

It's difficult for a lot of fans to see Lu sitting on the bench and most of us can understand how awful he must feel. During the off season, Lu will be motivated to include other teams in possible trades. I think he wants to be with or closer to his family; which means most eastern or southern teams. I for one, hope they can move him to a Florida team. I hope for Lu that he can have the best of both his worlds: happy family life and #1 goalie on a decent team.

It's time to accept the Canucks decision and support Schneids.

"We are all Canucks"

#118 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

i understand there are the Lu lovers and the Schneider lovers.. but what the heck have Luongo done to spawn all these haters that will do anything and everything to run him out of town every possible chance they have

No there are a lot of Lou lovers and Canuck lovers. People that know its time to move to a new goalie are Canuck fans, the ones that are screaming for Lou to stay starter are Lou fans and may own a Canucks jersey because Lou plays for them.

#119 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

No there are a lot of Lou lovers and Canuck lovers. People that know its time to move to a new goalie are Canuck fans, the ones that are screaming for Lou to stay starter are Lou fans and may own a Canucks jersey because Lou plays for them.

lol, so just because I think Lu should remain on the team, I am not a Canucks Fan? But wanting Cory to be the starter makes you a genuine Canucks fan?

That is the most disrespectful thing I have heard as an argument.

Edited by MonkeyBusiness, 14 April 2013 - 10:59 AM.

Posted Image
Sig pic by -Vintage Canuck- Thank You!!!!

Love the Canucks!

Keep Loungo in Vancouver :towel:
http://www.ipetition...o-in-vancouver/

#120 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

lol, so just because I think Lu should remain on the team, I am not a Canucks Fan? But wanting Cory to be the starter makes you a genuine Canucks fan?

That is the most disrespectful thing I have heard as an argument.

Sorry it offends you but you need to take a long look at yourself.

I see sooooo many posts with Lou lovers wishing Cory will have bad games or will fold in the playoffs so there true love can come to the rescue and regain his rightful spot... It's sickening and has nothing to do with the Canucks winning. Crying that Lou should be our starter, just because... Well I'm not sure why? People that want Cory in net want him in net because he's a better goalie and offers a better long term solution for the Canucks, it's not Cory homer love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.