The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Schneider finally proven he can be a starting goalie?

hockeyfan90

Ya he can get traded to another team in need of a goalie where they give us a scoring winger or centre and a draft pick. We could easy fetch more in trade with Schneider then Luu and still have awesome goaltending. Lack could be back up and after a couple yrs playing behind Luu we can go through all this again, but by then luu will be 37 and we will want to go younger then.

You can debate on if can take over for Lu or not, but he is ready to be a number one goalie on a team with one goalie (ours or whatever) He has been for years and had the ability

He's not a rookie kid, he's a full fledged NHL-er with the tools and talent of a superstar goalie.

give it a break.. regardless of who's in net we ain't going to the SCF lol.. this team have no consistency.. and u can't just flip a switch on in the playoff... we don't have the skill.. we have a slowly declining Sedins.. a who knows how healthy Kesler.. and the most overrated defense in the league.. that does not add up to a team turning it on and making a run.

Quick had 12 playoff games and Thomas had 18 before they won a cup. Cory has 8. What is really interesting is that both Quick and Thomas had at least .940sv% during their cup runs. Cory's 8 are at .940% but last year he was (3) .960%. The only time Lu reached .940 was his first year here (2007 -12 games .941%).

Cory is the starter. If for some reason he fails, then we are lucky to have Lu come in. The real ? will be the team in front of the goaltenders.

Quick and Thomas had those games over several seasons as a starter - Schneider played them all in spot-starts. Stats don't tell the whole story. I feel that by playing through those earlier series and losses by Quick and Thomas made them understand what it takes to win playoff series, both mentally and physically. That's why playing a series to its completeness is far better experience than just a couple of games here and there like Schneider.

And as far as I'm concerned, you can throw out a goalie's percentages out the window for the playoffs. Sure, a hot goalie is hard to beat, but timing and clutch performances are EVERYTHING in the playoffs. Look at Niemi. He was far from spectacular, a 2.60+ GAA, but made the big saves when he had to. Sure, his team was fantastic, but its clutch performances that win Cups, not necessarily consistent goaltending. Thomas is another good example. He was ventilated all series long against Tampa Bay and Montreal, but came up huge in the penultimate games with a 1-0 victory over Tampa.

The same can be said for Luongo. Sure he's not consistent, but you DO know what you're going to get out of his play - huge performances when it matters most. He stole us the franchise's biggest game in 40 years against Chicago, which, if lost, would have seen the biggest reconstruction in the league (as well as the biggest embarassment in pro-sports) and had 3 giant performances in the SCF despite playing behind an AHL, injured squad. Luongo is a proven big-game player - Schneider is not.

I know Schneider played well against Los Angeles, and we probably wouldn't have won that series anyway, but he was the one who let in the season ending goal. It was a goalie duel between him and Quick, and Schneider lost in the 1 big game he's ever really played for us. Luongo's record in big, season-deciding games is sparkling.

I'd love to see how Schneider fares in the playoffs, but quite frankly we don't have the time or opportunities to see how he does in these big games that could end our season. Schneider may play consistently well for the rest of the season, but if we end up in a Game 7 situation I'd put my money on Luongo any day over Schneider. Game 7 is a very different situation for a goalie compared to just another regular season game.

Oh......

We're still "pretending" that Luongo is a "partial" starter and is challenging Schneids for the starting spot :lol:

We can stop this anytime guys because at this point we aren't accomplishing anything.. it's time for Luongo to find a new home instead of looking like he's important "coaching" players when they skate off the bench :picard:

Count the losses, trade him, resign Roy, and find someone who can actually score. Our top scorer only has 12 goals. :shock:

Lu sealed his own fate. Game #5, post-presser, SCF, he took the bait the media threw him...Uh oh, I remember thinking..Uh, well maybe he's a confident guy who's finally ready to truly deliver, I thought/HOPED! to myself.

When he let in that garbage shot by Marchand, back in Beantown...Man, I knew then the dream was toast. Oh well..had his chance. Couldn't back up the assertiveness. Should have bit his tongue, back in spring 2011. The media hated our boys, & were looking for ANYTHING to use as ammo/bulletin-board-mat for the thugs. Lu SHOULD have known better, as a 10 yr-vet.

Yes some Lu-fans will scorn/ridicule this post...Sure, everyone's entitled to their views.

Archived