144 replies to this topic

#121 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

So awesome that someone else has Totoro on their list. Even though Miyazaki's best film is obviously Spirited Away -- Totoro has a vibe that I really like even though it is a real kiddie movie. Another really good Miyazaki film is Princess Mononoke (I hope I spelled it right lol)

My top ten Favorite Studio Ghibli Movies (that I've seen):
10)Arrietty
9)Porco Rosso
8)Princess Mononoke (I'm in the minority, but I didn't find this movie that good)
7)The Cat Returns
6)Howl's Moving Castle
5)Kiki's Delivery Service
4)Ponyo
3)My Neighbor Totoro
2)Spirited Away
1)Grave of the Fireflies

Edited by Alchemy Time, 24 April 2013 - 09:01 PM.

Posted Image

#122 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

My top ten Favorite Studio Ghibli Movies (that I've seen):
10)Arrietty
9)Porco Rosso
8)Princess Mononoke (I'm in the minority, but I didn't find this movie that good)
7)The Cat Returns
6)Howl's Moving Castle
5)Kiki's Delivery Service
4)Ponyo
3)My Neighbor Totoro
2)Spirited Away
1)Grave of the Fireflies

I can understand that. PM was pretty different from the other ghibili movies. It was by far the most violent at least.
Dang, maybe I do need to see Grave of the Fireflies sometime...

Also, Pan's Labyrinth was an amazing film, I should've added it to my honorable mentions.

#123 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Also, Pan's Labyrinth was an amazing film, I should've added it to my honorable mentions.

Pan's Labyrinth was fantastic. I usually don't care too much for foreign language movies, but Pan's Labyrinth is definitely an exception.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#124 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Pan's Labyrinth was fantastic. I usually don't care too much for foreign language movies, but Pan's Labyrinth is definitely an exception.

Oh yeah. It was really something else. That thing with the eyeballs in its hands was so whack lol.

One other foreign language film that I would recommend especially if you're an action fan is The Raid: Redemption. Check it out if you haven't already.

#125 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,493 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

No particular order

Casablanca
Out of the Past
Dances With Wolves
Asphalt Jungle
A Bridge Too Far
Key Largo
Postman Always Rings Twice (John Garfield/Lana Turner version)
Kelly's Heroes
Metropolis
Maltese Falcon

Edited by Johnny Bravo, 28 April 2013 - 07:55 AM.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#126 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Just found out that they're remaking The Gremlins. You know, the one with Gizmo the Mogwai or however you spell it. If there's a movie that doesn't need to be remade I think it's that one...

#127 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,540 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

?????
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#128 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Just found out that they're remaking The Gremlins. You know, the one with Gizmo the Mogwai or however you spell it. If there's a movie that doesn't need to be remade I think it's that one...

There's a laundry list of movies that should never have been remade. Did anyone here see the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still? That was one of the worst remakes I have ever seen..usually I can handle Keanu Reeves movies..A Scanner Darkly was on my list..but there was something just not right at all with the 2008 remake of that film. Call me a purist but maybe it was because the remake was in color and because they turned Gort from lovey-dovey to a sinister havoc wreaking machine and Reeves was not believable (in my opinion) as Klaatu.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#129 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

There's a laundry list of movies that should never have been remade. Did anyone here see the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still? That was one of the worst remakes I have ever seen..usually I can handle Keanu Reeves movies..A Scanner Darkly was on my list..but there was something just not right at all with the 2008 remake of that film. Call me a purist but maybe it was because the remake was in color and because they turned Gort from lovey-dovey to a sinister havoc wreaking machine and Reeves was not believable (in my opinion) as Klaatu.

I know there are quite a few more that shouldn't have been remade. One of the few that had an actually good remake was Dredd, but it didn't go so well since it did horrible at the box office.

#130 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

?????

What part of that do you find confusing? It seems perfectly clear to me.
Posted Image

#131 infinitecarnage

infinitecarnage

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

What part of that do you find confusing? It seems perfectly clear to me.

what's confusing is you evaluate the artistic quality of the movie based on its language. could you be any more redneck?

Edited by infinitecarnage, 27 May 2013 - 07:39 AM.

Posted Image

#132 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:26 AM

A movie a lot of people forgot to add was THE PRESTIGE :D

Just watched this one about a week ago and it was unbelievable. Definitely in my honourable mentions. The only Nolan movie I have left to watch is Memento.

#133 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

• District 9 - one of the most inspirational film endings ever
  • Chinatown - a flawless film noir, start to finish
  • Heat - filled with memoriable characters and scenes
  • There Will be Blood - one of the most intriguing character study in film
  • The Pusher Trilogy- gritty and existential crime drama, an early snap shot of Winding-Refn's masterfull work
  • Bullhead - Belgian crime drama, existential film or both?
  • The Life Aquatic - hilarious and such a treat to enjoy
  • Once Upon a Time in the West - I can feel the heat of the desert in this movie. Love it
  • Aliens - perhaps the best survival horror/science fiction film
  • Le Cercle Rouge - a nod to one of the all time greats Jean Pierre Melville- a master of French gangster films

Honourable Mention: 28 Days Later - reboot of the Zombie genre while incorporating all the suvival-horror conventions which this genre great e.g. fortification, hyper stress & paranoia, etc.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE, 27 May 2013 - 09:27 AM.

G4fSut.gif

#134 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

...and Reeves was not believable (in my opinion) as Klaatu.

Keanu Reeves is barely believable as a human.

Edited by Monty, 27 May 2013 - 10:36 AM.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#135 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Keanu Reeves is barely believable as a human.

touche.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 27 May 2013 - 11:22 AM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#136 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Random number of movies in any random order.

- Trainspotting
- Pans Labyrinth
- The Fifth Element
- American Psycho (Book was better though)
- Requiem for a Dream
- Fight Club
- Match Point
- Battle Royale
- American Beauty
- Perfume the Story of a Murderer
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- V for Vendetta

ezgifcom-gif-maker_zps756122ce.gif

#137 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

What about shawshank redemption ? That movie is in my top 10 no doubt.

#138 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Recently watched The Truman Show for the first time. It was really good.
Posted Image

#139 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Haven't seen Fargo on anyone's list here. Definitely an honourable mention in my books

Edited by Doug The Thug Glatt, 28 May 2013 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#140 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

what's confusing is you evaluate the artistic quality of the movie based on its language. could you be any more redneck?

Really? I don't recall saying anything like that. I merely said I don't care for foreign language movies. And thats because I find it disengaging to read subtitles. It draws me out of the experience and its harder to enjoy things like great acting, or a great script when its been translated from another language and I'm basically reading the English version. And dubs are usually pretty bad.

So, yeah. Just a personal preference of mine. I never said anything about the artistic quality of the movie. But its funny that you automatically jumped to that conclusion, and then called me a redneck. So maybe you should try harder at improving your reading comprehension before attacking others.

Edited by Bitter Melon, 28 May 2013 - 06:11 PM.

Posted Image

#141 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,540 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

so what makes pan's labrynth different?
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#142 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

so what makes pan's labrynth different?

I don't have some bias AGAINST foreign language films, I just generally don't like subtitles. Pan's Labyrinth was just one of those I really enjoyed despite the subtitles. If I enjoy a movie despite being in another language then I really like it. Otherwise its just not that great an experience for me.

Again, personal preference, nothing against foreign language movies at all.
Posted Image

#143 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

So awesome that someone else has Totoro on their list. Even though Miyazaki's best film is obviously Spirited Away -- Totoro has a vibe that I really like even though it is a real kiddie movie. Another really good Miyazaki film is Princess Mononoke (I hope I spelled it right lol)

Sorry for the oh so droll late response, I needed a movie to watch and came back to this thread :P

What makes Totoro #1 for me is it's the movie I first remember as a kid watching and growing up, I had a totoro bed & one of the small white spirits as a pillow. I also went as the catbus for one Halloween. Also I watched the english version that doesn't have Dakota Fanning if that matters to you at all.

But yes the movies you mention are great themselves, curious as to whether or not you've seen Lupin the Third Castle of Cagliostro or Record of Lodoss War? Those are probably 2 of my favorite honorable mention animes.

#144 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,985 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

Westerns: Rio Bravo (The only Wayne movie I like), Shane, Once Upon A Time in the West (Outstanding, it's slow, but it's like a work of Art), The Man with no Name Trilogy, Tombstone.

Action: Die Hard, Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, Enter the Dragon, Terminator 2, Any James Bond movie, Desperado, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, Predator, Bullitt.

Romance: Casablanca, Princess Bride. Romeo & Juliet (1968), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Historical Drama: Thirteen Days, The Right Stuff, Apollo 13, Breaker Morant, Saving Private Ryan, All the President's Men.

Sci-Fi: The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), 2001: A Space Odyssey

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 30 May 2013 - 08:05 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#145 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Sorry for the oh so droll late response, I needed a movie to watch and came back to this thread :P

What makes Totoro #1 for me is it's the movie I first remember as a kid watching and growing up, I had a totoro bed & one of the small white spirits as a pillow. I also went as the catbus for one Halloween. Also I watched the english version that doesn't have Dakota Fanning if that matters to you at all.

But yes the movies you mention are great themselves, curious as to whether or not you've seen Lupin the Third Castle of Cagliostro or Record of Lodoss War? Those are probably 2 of my favorite honorable mention animes.

Lol, all's good man.

I don't think I saw the Lupin the Third movie, I only saw like two episodes from the T.V. series.

I have actually seen Record of Lodoss War, it was such a long time ago that I forgot most of it. It was really, really good though -- I do remember that, I also remember there was some guy named Orson who was a berserker -- not sure how I remember that lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.