The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was Keeping Schneider a Mistake?

Ugli Fruit

I don't care what anybody thinks of the two goalies, this isn't about who is better. I won't share any of my personal opinions on this thread, and neither should anyone else.

The question is, was it a mistake to keep Schneider and try to move Luongo, despite the fact that it was clear that nobody wanted his contract?

Hear me out.

Schneider is getting the job done for us. Whether that is by exceeding expectations or barely meeting it, he is getting the job done, and that's that. I just want to establish that Schneider, as of now, if perfectly capable of being the starter. We don't need Luongo around anymore to get us into the playoffs and do well there, assuming Schneider's form continues.

However, is that enough of a reason to potentially waste another season for the Canucks and have the core age again?

On the flip side, Luongo is also perfectly capable of getting this team into the playoffs and getting far as well. Despite all the argument about whether or not Luongo is a choke (the argument simply doesn't make sense - one does not suddenly lose the ability to play hockey come April), Luongo still played a big role in our Cup run back in 2011. Both goalies are capable of getting this team to the Cup finals.

If you don't agree with that, leave. Because what I am going to ask depends on whether you agree with me or not. And this is not about who I think is the better choice to keep either, so don't post that kind of reply.

Luongo's contract is too difficult to move for a substantial return. Schneider's, however, can be moved for a significant return. Seeing as how Gillis already got rid of Connauton (probably the closest to being ready of all our D prospects), it's clear that he wants to make a cup run this year. Why then, did Gillis decide to partially compromise our future and not make the logical choice by further compromising the future and making the best team we have had in the past decade?

If Gillis moved Schneider for any fair return, we would be a favorite. Schneider is worth a top-2 defenseman, and this to me, makes more sense if we already picked up a rental like Derek Roy.

Luongo can still play well enough for us to make a deep run, so why keep Schneider and remain stuck with Luongo, if trading Schneider can put our roster through the roof?

Edit: I love how most people are giving arguments :rolleyes:

The rationale on CDC is that if any post is possibly against Schneider being hailed as Vancouver's god, it's a bad post. If you don't agree with the reasoning, then explain!

Keep Schneider = get great goaltending, still have no scoring, have 5.3M dollars on the bench doing nothing

Keep Luongo = get great goaltending, either have scoring, or incredible defense, 4M dollars being used to fuel possibly the last cup run this team is capable of making.

Why can't we just keep both goalies for playoffs this season? if one chokes we can always just play the other

besides, right now we have top 4 of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Edler... bottom 2 is rotated by Ballard, Barker, Alberts until Tanev returns, then it'll be Tanev + one of the 3

We also have a very deep forward group if we are able to stay healthy, hell we even have a deeper set of forward groups compare to our 2010-2011 Cup run

Now:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Raymond Kesler Kassian

Higgins Roy Hansen

Sestito Lappy Weise

extra: Pinizzotto, Ebbett, Booth

2011:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Raymond Kesler Samuelsson

Higgins Lappy Hansen

plug plug plug

so you see... had the Blackhawks and Penguins are not so on fire this year, we might actually have a better chance in the playoffs than we did in 2011

key in point, keeping both goalies might do us better this year in playoffs, and we'll worry about who to trade, and to trade for what during the offseason

Why can't we just keep both goalies for playoffs this season? if one chokes we can always just play the other

besides, right now we have top 4 of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Edler... bottom 2 is rotated by Ballard, Barker, Alberts until Tanev returns, then it'll be Tanev + one of the 3

We also have a very deep forward group if we are able to stay healthy, hell we even have a deeper set of forward groups compare to our 2010-2011 Cup run

Now:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Raymond Kesler Kassian

Higgins Roy Hansen

Sestito Lappy Weise

extra: Pinizzotto, Ebbett, Booth

2011:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Raymond Kesler Samuelsson

Higgins Lappy Hansen

plug plug plug

so you see... had the Blackhawks and Penguins are not so on fire this year, we might actually have a better chance in the playoffs than we did in 2011

key in point, keeping both goalies might do us better this year in playoffs, and we'll worry about who to trade, and to trade for what during the offseason

So unless we completely agree, leave?

No you don't trade one of the best goalies in the league when you want a cup, Schneider has been playing like one of the top goaltenders in the league this season.

Plus (to more so answer your question) there really isn't a market out of teams out there that are able to give us that player right now that will put us over the top, and there isn't any way we will be able to fit him in next year.

Keeping Cory was the right move.

Archived