The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boneheaded Decisions

Erik Karlsson

That game is exactly what has been wrong with the Canucks all year.

Start slow, and don't finish.

All season long that's what they have done.

In other words, they haven't done a bloody thing to change/adapt.

Sorry...we are in 3rd - but we don't deserve to be.

We aren't playing like a 3rd place team.

And in the latest few games we've played how many chances have we given up vs how many have we had? The opposition (particularly Calgary) has outchanced us many times over, we've just managed to win with the goalie bailing us out or the opposition shooting at the goalie's chest (today the Avs buried their chances). I'm as frustrated as the rest of the fans that see AVs glaring problems.

What the hell is Weise doing to earn a spot on the 3rd line? Even on the 4th line it's not like he's actually throwing big hits (sure he's hitting people, but it might as well be Burrows hitting them - not that I have anything against Burrows). Give Roy some actual talent to work with please. I'd rather see Ebbett on the 3rd than Weise.

Why is Kassian being bounced around 2 different lines all game? How is he supposed to develop any chemistry with anyone? How is he going to learn how to fix his mistakes?

You write as if its AVs gameplan to have the defenders turn over the puck in their own zone... Do you really believe the Players Executed the game plan today? You think AV has a little remote control on the puck and makes the forwards shoot at Giggy's logo? Those first things you mentioned aren't on AV, it rests on the players to think rather than throwing the puck out in front of Schneider to set up the other team.

Why is Weise on the 3rd? Not sure maybe he pleasures AV in some way... but what does it matter who is where when none of them are taking an afternoon game against the bottom dwelling AVs seriously.

As for Kassian, I agree he could be handled differently but at the end of the day he needs to produce at the level he is capable of, he needs to be the guy to make his linemates better by hitting and making smart defensive and heads up play. These are things a player can do on any line... he doesn't need to constantly score but he needs to start playing in this manner to show that he is growing into a consistent player and he will be rewarded.

lol, you get worked up so easy. And haven't you ever thought that the people who want to see AV fired are doing so and making threads and arguing with other people, because they LOVE their team and want to see a coach who can actually harness this talent and bring a cup here before its too late!? So how are they not fans again? You useless thread

This close to playoffs to prevent injuries? Yeah I do, just like they were told not to over celebrate goals and stuff. Mitchell told me that when I played shinny with him at the star.

Obviously they will still rub out their opponents and such.

Sestito is known for his forechecking I haven't seen a hit from him since his first game.....

Kassian is barely hitting, Pinizzotto hasn't thrown a decent hit since his first game either.

I was very surprised to see that monster hit by Weise on Mcgrattan.

Management, 2-3 years ago had sat down with both Burrows and Kesler (moreso Kes) and reviewed video of certain players and how they conduct themselves with the officials in an effort to curb the yapping and diving to get favourable calls, and to shore up the on ice antics.

Not sure where this mythology of not playing physical ever came from because it is patently false.

I didn't make this thread because we lost, I've been saying this stuff all season, today just proved how incompetent AV can be.

For the record, I don't think he should be fired this season obviously, but he should be gone next season, unless we miraculously win a cup.

One of my biggest problems with AV is he doesn't ever seem to think ahead, he just takes everything one game at a time and makes a lot of dumb decisions..

Example, last year he told us he wasn't prepared for the LA series because he thought Daniel would be back... Wtf, not being prepared at the most important time of the season? His job is to prepare the team, especially during key injuries...

Schneider was just sick and Lu played awesome after sitting the most he ever has in his career, we didn't trade Lu so we could have two elite goalies for the playoffs. Wouldn't it be smart to get both goalies some playing time to keep them sharp especially if one gets injured? He should have rested Schneider a few more days and gave Lu the start today. There would be no controversy and Lu played great last game. It would raise his morale which would also be beneficial to the team.

Everyone knows Sedins are ineffective in the playoffs and they get pushed around....The only time they score is on the power play, they're invisible 5 on 5. So wouldn't it be smart to put Kassian with them now to start training and helping him get used to the game they play? I guarantee he's going to get thrown on that line in the playoffs once the twins start getting manhandled again.

Sure Kassian makes lots of mistakes in the defensive zone but how is benching and demoting him going to help? All it does is make him grip his stick tighter which leads to more mistakes. (people who play hockey should know this) Even most analysts say AV needs to have more patience and stop demoting Zack. Imo they should either send him to the AHL or leave him on a line to develop some actual chemistry. A lot of our post season success will rely on this kid, whether you like it or not. He can change games with his hits and he can score. Now is the time to get his confidence as high as they can, not do the opposite.

Another thing that bothers me is AV seems to ignore what kind of games his players play and also plays favorites too much.

Kesler is already playing more minutes then Roy after missing the whole season and being injured the last 2 years...

Roy is an offensive player and Kesler is more suited to a defensive role. Kesler's strength is attacking off the rush like Raymond and Hansen so I don't get why they aren't playing together or atleast been given a shot. They would make a great shutdown line that can also bury the puck.

Roy and Higgins have chemistry and Kassian can make room for them. If he isn't going to play with the twins then he should be on this line. Kassian is a creative player like Roy and playing with Kesler hampers that imo.

And please no comments about him being the most winning coach, I don't care at all. Ruff was Buffalo's most winning coach and he's gone, and it really has no effect on this season whatsoever.

I predict a first round exit. This team is far too inconsistent and the line juggling does not help.

Anyways that's my rant. Flame away.

:emot-parrot:

I would agree with you if this had been an isolated incident. We have seen the puck passed out into the open too many times this season by many different players. They may not have been told to do it but it certainly hasn't been coached out of them either. We have seen players miscast in their roles; a defensively-sound system that has been aerated with chances and odd man rushes; an inability to consistently exit our zone or to gain the offensive zone; a system that withers under the slightest amount of pressure; and a powerplay that flounders near the bottom of the league. All of this I place directly on the coaching staffs shoulders.

AV and his staff have been good, great at the beginning, but they have certainly benefited from talented players and exceptional goaltending. I hope that they can help take us far into the playoffs. From the play we've seen lately and frankly have experienced for a couple of years now, we'll have to pray hard that the bounces go our way. And whether it has been a failure to adjust or the team has checked out, win or lose, I hope that we will have change in the off-season for everyone's sake.

Well tell me then, since you know the inner workings of the Canucks so well, is not hitting a good thing or a bad thing? I actually want to know your opinion... if you were coach is this what you would do? Telling them not to fight I can see... but hitting... I would really have to suspend my disbelief that AV would tell the team not to hit, just knowing the style of coach he is and how he covets grit and grinding (as many many AV haters have pointed out on numerous occasions)

Nah man, I just read a few posts on here saying that the team has been told not to hit or fight so I was actually wondering lol.

I guess I meant more tone it down till the playoffs not totally not hit.

I really want to see Sestito nail someone on the forecheck one of these days though.... hopefully the Hawks game.

BadBeats I need your input here. Is it just me or do AV haters attack personally anytime anyone states facts backing up why they think that AV is a good coach and then go on to rant about all the emotional subjective things they feel he is doing wrong?

Have you noticed, as I have, that if you ask them questions in the sense of what are better options than AV or if they actually have inner knowledge of the behind the scenes of the Canucks dressing room, they either ignore the questions or just stop posting?

Just curious if you see these same patterns as I do. Thanks

I agree... would be nice to see... but even more I would like this team to have cohesion and play up to their potential for the post season. As all AV detractors seem to love to point out to me that the regular season is meaningless and its all about what happens in the playoffs. So why get so worked up about regular season games? They are a lock for the playoffs. A great playoff run and maybe the Canucks win a Cup or if not AV is in all likelyhood gone... so I don't see what anyone has to complain about... just enjoy watching the games, cheer for the Canucks, put on your car flags, do what fans do and support this team in the here and now and let the negativity go and that is the best thing we as observers can do to help this team win!

Archived