The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boneheaded Decisions

Erik Karlsson

If you believe that one comment is reflective of an entire fanbase, I'd say you're just as big an idiot as the poster you quoted. You've been here a long time, there are tens of thousand of members on this board. You shouldn't be surprised when you see a few dumb posts.

Just remember, the dumbest people are commonly the loudest. On the internet, loud must be substituted for frequent. That's probably why there are so many bad posts. Often the people who have something of substance to say don't always say it because they have more important things to do.

Well I am calm enough to realise one loss is not the end of the World but the OP has a point.

I rate AV as a coach and I don't think he should be fired this year OR next but he has to stop f------g about with the lines.

Hansen on the first is just a total joke. We all know he won't be there in the playoffs so what's the point?

I'm sorry but I find it hard to get into these debates now without getting mad with Gillis. We shouldn't be f-------g about with 4th liners and defenders in attack. We should have a plan B when the Sedins get shut down or manhandled and Gillis knew that and signed Roy

Fair enough we needed a good centre but we needed a hell of a lot more. This team deserved a hell of a lot more.

Anyway back on thread.

We all know that time is running out and barring a disaster we are in the playoffs, so shouldn't we we hardening our lines so at least they don't look like they met for the first time on the bus?

Wait a minute let me change my mind here.

If the team that plays the first game in the playoffs has Kassian or Burrows with the Twins, Kesler centring the 2nd with Raymond and Kassian/Burrows and a 3rd of Roy centring Higgins and Hansen and Lapierre centring Sestito/Booth and Weise...............Then I want AV fired unless we win the damned Cup.

Because every manjack on CDC knows that is or as near as our strongest attack ................so why are we farting about when we should be honing these lines give or take injuries.

Perhaps, that will be exactly what happens, but if it does it means you getting your jollies on the Canucks losing. That makes you not a fan in the slightest, so I couldn't care less about your opinion.

Next someone would actually have to read this drivel before you would be able to say "I told you so".

lol, you get worked up so easy. And haven't you ever thought that the people who want to see AV fired are doing so and making threads and arguing with other people, because they LOVE their team and want to see a coach who can actually harness this talent and bring a cup here before its too late!? So how are they not fans again? You useless thread

AVS fired at the end of this season mark my words

he had it finally

sedins burrows

raymond kes kassian

higgins roy hansen

but o wait a injury happened so whats this guy do!

BREAK EVERYTHING UP CHANGE EVERYTHING SHUFFLE EVERYTHING

key reason for lack of scoring on this team is well LACK OF CHEMISTRY AMONGST THE LINES

Av IS DONE

And what makes you think that you have the knowledge to decide whether or not that would be a good move?

We all "love our team", but not all of us are so full of ourselves that we believe we understand the nuances of coaching a professional hockey team better than an actual NHL coach, especially one with the track record of Alain Vigneault.

I place my own experience as high as anyone's on this board, and higher than most, but even thoughI question some of the team's coaching decisions, I certainly don't refer to any of them as "boneheaded", considering the fact that I am not privy to even a fraction of the information that the Canucks' coaching staff is.

I didn't make this thread because we lost, I've been saying this stuff all season, today just proved how incompetent AV can be.

For the record, I don't think he should be fired this season obviously, but he should be gone next season, unless we miraculously win a cup.

One of my biggest problems with AV is he doesn't ever seem to think ahead, he just takes everything one game at a time and makes a lot of dumb decisions..

Example, last year he told us he wasn't prepared for the LA series because he thought Daniel would be back... Wtf, not being prepared at the most important time of the season? His job is to prepare the team, especially during key injuries...

Schneider was just sick and Lu played awesome after sitting the most he ever has in his career, we didn't trade Lu so we could have two elite goalies for the playoffs. Wouldn't it be smart to get both goalies some playing time to keep them sharp especially if one gets injured? He should have rested Schneider a few more days and gave Lu the start today. There would be no controversy and Lu played great last game. It would raise his morale which would also be beneficial to the team.

Everyone knows Sedins are ineffective in the playoffs and they get pushed around....The only time they score is on the power play, they're invisible 5 on 5. So wouldn't it be smart to put Kassian with them now to start training and helping him get used to the game they play? I guarantee he's going to get thrown on that line in the playoffs once the twins start getting manhandled again.

Sure Kassian makes lots of mistakes in the defensive zone but how is benching and demoting him going to help? All it does is make him grip his stick tighter which leads to more mistakes. (people who play hockey should know this) Even most analysts say AV needs to have more patience and stop demoting Zack. Imo they should either send him to the AHL or leave him on a line to develop some actual chemistry. A lot of our post season success will rely on this kid, whether you like it or not. He can change games with his hits and he can score. Now is the time to get his confidence as high as they can, not do the opposite.

Another thing that bothers me is AV seems to ignore what kind of games his players play and also plays favorites too much.

Kesler is already playing more minutes then Roy after missing the whole season and being injured the last 2 years...

Roy is an offensive player and Kesler is more suited to a defensive role. Kesler's strength is attacking off the rush like Raymond and Hansen so I don't get why they aren't playing together or atleast been given a shot. They would make a great shutdown line that can also bury the puck.

Roy and Higgins have chemistry and Kassian can make room for them. If he isn't going to play with the twins then he should be on this line. Kassian is a creative player like Roy and playing with Kesler hampers that imo.

And please no comments about him being the most winning coach, I don't care at all. Ruff was Buffalo's most winning coach and he's gone, and it really has no effect on this season whatsoever.

I predict a first round exit. This team is far too inconsistent and the line juggling does not help.

Anyways that's my rant. Flame away.

:emot-parrot:

I do not disagree actually.

Just a bit tough when there is so much info out there and folks just lazily comment with misinformation, so yeah its not lost on me.

Obviously i dont feel that one person speaks for a fanbase as a whole. But you cannot deny there are a substantial cross section of fans that just do not get it, despite being shown, ad nauseum, the contrary.

Appreciate the honesty. Its probably a better exercise to participate in the few good threads with substance and not linger in the negativity. :)

I do not disagree actually.

Just a bit tough when there is so much info out there and folks just lazily comment with misinformation, so yeah its not lost on me.

Obviously i dont feel that one person speaks for a fanbase as a whole. But you cannot deny there are a substantial cross section of fans that just do not get it, despite being shown, ad nauseum, the contrary.

Appreciate the honesty. Its probably a better exercise to participate in the few good threads with substance and not linger in the negativity. :)

Agree with the OP....just not the firing, the sooner the better. It would mean a cup. We maybe 3rd but that means jack in the playoffs sport....

NO PP = NO CUP .... with this much talent and Daniel on the point??? Someone needs to get fired....if I was a dman on the team I wouldnt be able to hold it in.

This team has too much talent to be waffling so much ... everything and i mean everything point to the coach.

Hansen isnt going to be playing on the top line come playoffs, why you ask? Because Burrows couldnt do it and neither will he...the line gets face washed too much. Kassian will be on the top line because he has skill, he is big and he will back up the twins where the other two couldnt or wouldnt. Plus he will make space....just what the twins need.

Anything else would be just a repeat of the last two years.....but I am going to guess AV is going to re act way to slow and it will be too little too late....these lines need time and that time is now.

Everyone knows Sedins are ineffective in the playoffs and they get pushed around....The only time they score is on the power play, they're invisible 5 on 5. So wouldn't it be smart to put Kassian with them now to start training and helping him get used to the game they play? I guarantee he's going to get thrown on that line in the playoffs once the twins start getting manhandled again.

And tell me why these systems AV currently has in place are going to get us anywhere? How the hell are we giving up so many grade A quality chances a game if AVs systems are good? Is our team playing a better game than the majority of the NHL right now? Probably, but we also have the talent to overcome bad systems, unlike teams like the Jets that don't have the goaltending we do, and they're still in the playoff race. Look at Detroit. They lost their best defenceman to retirement, got nothing even close in talent to replace him, have the most man games missed of any team at 5.48 per game (the Canucks are at 3.08), and are tied in points with Dallas for the 8th spot (though they have less wins).

I've enjoyed the fact that we've been winning, and even some of these recent games where we've given up a ton of chances to the opposition have been exciting, but they're against bottom feeders like Calgary. This isn't going to cut it in the playoffs.

The point is AV did a fair bit of this last year. I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.

As the chap above says, just because you get one injury you don't unsettle the whole team by chopping and changing it about.

Are we not trying to build chemistry?

Av gets way too much criticism about how he handles prospects. This is the NHL, not the AHL. We are a top team, not a rebuilding team. And stop using the words "demoting Kassian" when ever he drops to the third line. He isn't entitled to be in the top 6 just because he's young and you get all excited seeing him there. The guy has lots to learn.

Av gets way too much criticism about how he handles prospects. This is the NHL, not the AHL. We are a top team, not a rebuilding team. And stop using the words "demoting Kassian" when ever he drops to the third line. He isn't entitled to be in the top 6 just because he's young and you get all excited seeing him there. The guy has lots to learn.

The point is AV did a fair bit of this last year. I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.

As the chap above says, just because you get one injury you don't unsettle the whole team by chopping and changing it about.

Are we not trying to build chemistry?

Archived