The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boneheaded Decisions

Erik Karlsson

Quality chances happen every game.

Mistakes happen every game.

Goalies have off games, just as other players do.

The other team does have talent as well. (even bad ones)

Even the top defenders in the league give up quality scoring chances to the Sedins. Is that because of their system or because the Sedins have talent? Our defenders are no different in that the opposing forwards will get chances. A perfect game without any quality chances is an extremely rare thing. What you hope though is that your defenders don't hand the opposing team quality chances. No system in the world can prevent player error. Just as no system in the world can prevent "the lucky bounce". Sometimes crap happens that has nothing to do with the system. These things happen to all teams, even contenders.

Anaheim recently lost to Columbus and Colorado. San Jose was shutout by Columbus. Pittsburgh was thumped by Buffalo, and Montreal was lambasted by Philly. The team that "should win" isn't always the one that does. Do Anaheim, San Jose, Pittsburgh and Montreal all need to change their system because they lost to non-playoff teams? No, because crappy performances do happen from time to time to good teams.

Quality chances happen every game.

Mistakes happen every game.

Goalies have off games, just as other players do.

The other team does have talent as well. (even bad ones)

Even the top defenders in the league give up quality scoring chances to the Sedins. Is that because of their system or because the Sedins have talent? Our defenders are no different in that the opposing forwards will get chances. A perfect game without any quality chances is an extremely rare thing. What you hope though is that your defenders don't hand the opposing team quality chances. No system in the world can prevent player error. Just as no system in the world can prevent "the lucky bounce". Sometimes crap happens that has nothing to do with the system. These things happen to all teams, even contenders.

Anaheim recently lost to Columbus and Colorado. San Jose was shutout by Columbus. Pittsburgh was thumped by Buffalo, and Montreal was lambasted by Philly. The team that "should win" isn't always the one that does. Do Anaheim, San Jose, Pittsburgh and Montreal all need to change their system because they lost to non-playoff teams? No, because crappy performances do happen from time to time to good teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Farhan Lalji@FarhanLaljiTSN26 Apr

I've never been a "fire the coach" guy, but I shake my head at how Ballard & Kassian have been handled. #canucks

Farhan Lalji@FarhanLaljiTSN10m

No question. Esp if he has to start Gm 1 RT @botchford: "Almost unfair the way they've left Lu out, and hung out to dry" - ya think?

Glad other people think the same.

The panel also said they didn't like how AV handled Roberto tonight at all either.

Can't wait till this guy is gone next season.

No. I consider it to be superior because I've been at it a lot longer than virtually everyone on this board, and I've gone further than most as well.

Over 45 years as a player, coach, referee and for a stretch, a part-time sportswriter. Very few in this forum can claim to have more practical experience. "The guy" might possibly be one of them, but based on the contents of his posts, I'm comfortable in making the educated guess that he isn't.

I've never been a "fire the coach" guy, but I shake my head at how Ballard & Kassian have been handled. #canucks

No question. Esp if he has to start Gm 1 RT @botchford: "Almost unfair the way they've left Lu out, and hung out to dry" - ya think?

The panel also said they didn't like how AV handled Roberto tonight at all either.

Terrible personnel management leaving Lu in like that. ONce the game was out of hand, should have put Cannata in and save what's left of Lu's shattered confidence for the playoffs.

This defensively challenged team is not going anywhere unlessf both goalies play to the best of their abilities and even then, they'll need luck.

Disrespecrful of what Lu has given this team to do what AV did tonight.

Looks like Kassian is just going through the motinos as well. Not everyone responds well to the stick. Some do better with a carrot.

I think we need to be grateful we are 3rd in the West. There are 25 other teams that wished they were in the same position as us. But they are not. Their coaches did a much worst job, and not in 3rd. only 8 teams out of 30 have home ice advantage. We are one of them. I am grateful for were we are.

Actually I am really grateful

There was a time were I thought this is it. It's done, our Divisional streak is over and Minnesota is going to take it. Kesler Booth is out, we don't have a 2nd line, blah blah blah, Schneider strings for us winning streaks after winning streak, we take the division title, again, it could have been a lot worst actually, I am happy were we are right now, despite the injuries we've gone through this season. Keep in mind, our entire 2nd line was non existent, for 2/3rds of the season, until we traded for Roy then Kesler coming back from Injury and even then, David Booth is still injured. Biesksa and Tanev missing a ton of games.

Be happy guys. A.V knows more then we do.

what happened????

Good decision to keep him in.

He needs to learn to stop letting in goals in bunches like this. I've seen him (Luongo) do this one too many times. What? Let in a fleury of goals. If we pulled him he will never learn.

If they really think that its a possibility that Luongo is going to start in game 1 of the playoffs...then AV may have just made one of the dumbest decisions of the year when he kept Luongo in to get fried extra crispy tonight. This is a guy who is notorious for losing his confidence and collapsing. Who knows now which Luongo might show up for the playoffs? The all star goalie or the shell-shocked beer-leaguer? Get well soon Cory.

If they really think that its a possibility that Luongo is going to start in game 1 of the playoffs...then AV may have just made one of the dumbest decisions of the year when he kept Luongo in to get fried extra crispy tonight. This is a guy who is notorious for losing his confidence and collapsing. Who knows now which Luongo might show up for the playoffs? The all star goalie or the shell-shocked beer-leaguer? Get well soon Cory.

I think we need to be grateful we are 3rd in the West. There are 25 other teams that wished they were in the same position as us. But they are not. Their coaches did a much worst job, and not in 3rd. only 8 teams out of 30 have home ice advantage. We are one of them. I am grateful for were we are.

Be happy guys. A.V knows more then we do.

Archived