The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finally Kesler on the wing!

rkoshack

I agree with Canucks_hockey_101. I dont think Kesler is going to generate much offense with or without good wingers. Put him as a shutdown 3rd line centre. Chipping in offensively, but mainly for match ups. Keep him on the PP. Put our next best wingers with Roy on the 2nd, and let them generate the next tier of offense behind the Sedins.

IMO. If we load up our 2nd line with Roy and Kesler. Our 3rd line is not even close to being an effective 3rd line in the playoffs. We will be eaten up by the stronger offensive teams. And I dont think Schroeder is ready for that, not Ebbett.

As long as Roy is ok with dishing the puck to Kesler, watch him skate to the top of the circle and try to beat the goalie with a wrister, then this line combo could work.

I used to be a big Kesler backer. But the last couple seasons he has turned into a winger. He does not fit the mold of what a center needs to be. He can win faceoffs and can be a good shut-down checker, but he can't be a play-maker. Wingers need the puck. He just doesn't use his wingers.

As long as Roy is ok with dishing the puck to Kesler, watch him skate to the top of the circle and try to beat the goalie with a wrister, then this line combo could work.

I used to be a big Kesler backer. But the last couple seasons he has turned into a winger. He does not fit the mold of what a center needs to be. He can win faceoffs and can be a good shut-down checker, but he can't be a play-maker. Wingers need the puck. He just doesn't use his wingers.

Roy should be on Kesler's wing - Kesler takes the draws, Kesler plays the center role, particularly on his own side of the blueline, Roy as a playmaking winger.

Sedins Burrows

Roy Kesler Raymond

Higgins Schroeder Hansen

Weise/Pinizzotto Lapierre Kassian

or

Higgins Kesler Schroeder

Raymond Roy Hansen

Odd how the center who supposedly makes players around him better, has 1 assist in 5 games, and now needs Kesler/Burrows on his wing to jump-start him.

On the other hand, Mr. Doesn't pass has 4 points in 3 games including 3 assists.

Very odd how statistics don't match up to perception.

I would like this move a lot more if they had a third line center who was adequate. The issue with this formation is Maxim Lapierre becomes the guy who will play against top line centers in the playoffs and truthfully I am more than certain he can't handle the likes of Richards, Thornton, Koivu, Toews. Either you have 2 good scoring lines or three ok lines. Id rather go with the latter option because with Cory in net scoring a couple goals less wont exactly be an issue.

Archived