The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finally Kesler on the wing!

rkoshack

I've wanted to see Burrows - Roy - Kesler together since Roy was acquired. I believe that will be the best second line possible. But the issue will be whether having those three guys play together will detract from the first and third lines. Can Hansen produce with the Sedins? Is Ebbett good enough for a regular top-9 spot? Let's hope so.

I reckon this is a direct result of Ebbett, at long last, showing glimpses of usefulness. His superior skill and speed makes him a better candidate than Lapierre to play with Raymond and Kassian.

No, he didn't do this last year and in the playoffs was forced to try new lines that had never been tested before. I like the idea of trying new lines now and getting ready for the playoffs. But... After some line juggling now (playoff testing) he need to go to the lines he plans to start with and keep them together for 6+ games before the playoffs.

This would be my preffered line combinations. Higgins and Roy have already shown a level of chemistry and Raymond and Hansen looked good in the first half of the year.

My only concern is that AV will try to shelter Schroeder, which could throw off the consistency of being able to roll four lines. Moving Roy back to the third would be a good insurance policy, if the line matching gets out of hand.

I like the idea of Higgins on the second line to allow Burrows to play with the Sedins. Higgins and Burrows are more or less interchangeable as the glue guys on that second line (though Burrows does of course have more skill). But keep the righties on the right wing, guys:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Roy Kesler

Raymond Schroeder Hansen

Weise Lapierre Kassian

(Yes, I just put a righty on the left wing of the 4th line)

Ebbett may be a better option than Schroeder at this point, but that third line certainly does have a higher ceiling with JS.

It could be quite the spectacle when Booth returns for the second round.

Looking forward to seeing the new second line in action.

That said, I'm not overly confident in the bottom two groupings. I wonder if this has more to do with getting Roy back on the scoring track than anything else. He has been playing well but offensive players have to convert in order to keep up their confidence; especially when first coming to a new team.

Unless they set the world on fire I think AV will have Roy back down on the third once Higgins, and with any luck, Booth return for the playoffs. If they show good chemistry though it offers AV an option to load up lines and shorten his bench when the Canucks need to score late in a game.

This time last year the first line was

Lapierre-Sedin-Burrows

I think once playoffs comes, Roy and Kesler will play together, Schroeder will not get recalled, Ebbett will not prodce,Lapierre will play beasty hockey in the playoffs and center the 3rd.

Archived