144 replies to this topic

#31 PlayoffHockey

PlayoffHockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

i like the move accept it exposes our lack of depth at centre.
Posted ImagePosted Image

"I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I knew nothing about NHL GL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago. I was unattached to any team when I first started watching although I could easily have gone for the Philadelphia Flyers as my home team which I supported in my youth and for 20 years was the Fife Flyers."
~ Bodee

http://forum.canucks...me/page__st__30

#32 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,510 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

I like the Roy-Kesler combination, but it makes no sense for Hansen to stay on the Sedin line. Put Kassian there (the one position where he flourished) and leave Hansen on the 3rd line where he plays his most effective hockey.

Kassian is already starting to tire again.

Load him up with ped's!
Posted Image

#33 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

You can bet Kes will be seeing spot duty taking faceoffs off his line.
Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

#34 Perfect From Now On

Perfect From Now On

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

This would be my preffered line combinations. Higgins and Roy have already shown a level of chemistry and Raymond and Hansen looked good in the first half of the year.

My only concern is that AV will try to shelter Schroeder, which could throw off the consistency of being able to roll four lines. Moving Roy back to the third would be a good insurance policy, if the line matching gets out of hand.

I can definitely see that happening. Yet Schroeder has demonstrated that he is defensibly responsible, and that line as a whole would make a good checking line that can contribute now and then, so long as AV plays them against the right opponents.

But if AV would put some faith in them, then we would have 4 lines that can be used in most situations, and none that are really a defensive liability.
Posted Image

Paradise with pines and ice.

#35 Perfect From Now On

Perfect From Now On

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

I like the idea of Higgins on the second line to allow Burrows to play with the Sedins. Higgins and Burrows are more or less interchangeable as the glue guys on that second line (though Burrows does of course have more skill). But keep the righties on the right wing, guys:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Roy Kesler
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Weise Lapierre Kassian
(Yes, I just put a righty on the left wing of the 4th line)

Ebbett may be a better option than Schroeder at this point, but that third line certainly does have a higher ceiling with JS.

It could be quite the spectacle when Booth returns for the second round.

I put Kesler on the left just because how great of a shot he has off the half wall, but if they're out there against a top line then it would probably be better to have him on the right for defensive reasons
Posted Image

Paradise with pines and ice.

#36 goal-ghost

goal-ghost

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Looking forward to seeing the new second line in action.

That said, I'm not overly confident in the bottom two groupings. I wonder if this has more to do with getting Roy back on the scoring track than anything else. He has been playing well but offensive players have to convert in order to keep up their confidence; especially when first coming to a new team.

Unless they set the world on fire I think AV will have Roy back down on the third once Higgins, and with any luck, Booth return for the playoffs. If they show good chemistry though it offers AV an option to load up lines and shorten his bench when the Canucks need to score late in a game.
Posted Image

#37 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

POPULAR

I agree.... call up Schroeder!!

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Roy - Kesler
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Sestito - Lapierre - Weise

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Ballard- Alberts

Schneider
Luongo

Edited by CanucksFanMike, 14 April 2013 - 12:18 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#38 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I refuse to accept that. In fact, I like the move except that it exposes our lack of centre depth.

#39 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Looking forward to seeing if this doesn't spark some eoffence and raise the offensive output.

Putting Roy with Weise is like putting premium fuel in a Yaris!!

#40 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

This time last year the first line was
Lapierre-Sedin-Burrows

I think once playoffs comes, Roy and Kesler will play together, Schroeder will not get recalled, Ebbett will not prodce,Lapierre will play beasty hockey in the playoffs and center the 3rd.

#41 The Secret

The Secret

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

with Kesler on the wing the first thing I would try would be:

Sedins - Burrows
Raymond - Roy - Kesler
Hansen - Ebbett - Kassian
Weise - Lap - Ses

Once Higgins is back I'd call up Schroeder and put him in Ebbett's spot, and Higgins in Kassians spot.

With Booth I'd try:
Sedins Kass
Burrows Roy Kesler
Higgins Shroeder MayRay
Booth Lappy Hansen

Edited by The Secret, 14 April 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#42 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

if they arent going to call schroeder back up, they should put lapierre centering the 3rd... i think theres more possible offence with
raymond-lappy-kassian than ebbett. hes more of a 4th line guy anyways
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#43 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,283 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

When the playoffs come and everyone is back healthy I want

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Hansen Kesler Raymond
Higgins Roy Booth
Kassian Lapierre Weise

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#44 Robongo

Robongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Kesler's way too valuable to this team at centre to be playing the wing.. I like the balanced attack the way it is now. You can't have ebbett or even Schroeder playing as your third centre in the playoffs, so can someone please explain the logic behind this move?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks R.Luongo. for the sig!=)

#45 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,628 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

POPULAR

Kesler's way too valuable to this team at centre to be playing the wing.. I like the balanced attack the way it is now. You can't have ebbett or even Schroeder playing as your third centre in the playoffs, so can someone please explain the logic behind this move?

The logic in my mind is that Roy was acquired to help the offense and he isn't going to do that on the 3rd line with Wiese. Kesler is sliding back into his "all me" mode where he does not use his wingers at all offensively instead trying to do it all himself. Roy makes the players around him better while Kesler does not. The team needs the 2nd line producing consistently. This is a good thing to experiment with now rather than come playoff time.

#46 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,293 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

No, he didn't do this last year and in the playoffs was forced to try new lines that had never been tested before. I like the idea of trying new lines now and getting ready for the playoffs. But... After some line juggling now (playoff testing) he need to go to the lines he plans to start with and keep them together for 6+ games before the playoffs.

Actually you're wrong. D Sedin was hurt with about 10 games left last year. It was then a crazy roller coaster of line juggling all the way up to the playoffs and in the playoffs.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#47 Belsy91

Belsy91

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

There is two deadly scoring lines. Wish AV would drop Ebett and call up Shroeder.

Edited by Belsy91, 14 April 2013 - 01:33 PM.

TWINS HUNT FOR 1000

9177.png= GP.1010- G.193- A.649 = 842 PTS

9152.png= GP.979- G.307- A.498 = 805 PTS

#48 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Because its time to get our starter ready for the playoffs?

That's exactly why Luongo should start... And play all remaining games.

#49 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

The logic in my mind is that Roy was acquired to help the offense and he isn't going to do that on the 3rd line with Wiese. Kesler is sliding back into his "all me" mode where he does not use his wingers at all offensively instead trying to do it all himself. Roy makes the players around him better while Kesler does not. The team needs the 2nd line producing consistently. This is a good thing to experiment with now rather than come playoff time.

That's right. With Roy on the team, Kesler should be kept as far as possible from 2C duty. 2RW or better, 3C.

There's nothing wrong with shining bright at 3C. As you said, Kesler is too me-first to generate secondary scoring on a consistent basis.

He and the Canucks would thrive if he were to be rightly utilized; 3C.

H. SEDIN
ROY
KESLER
LAPIERRE

This is league wide top depth. Instead, Roy will surely be utilized as 3C with plugs while Kesler will be utilized as 2C and both secondary scoring and defensive duty will become inexistent. Most of all, Roy, our newly acquired center who is a 1C on 4/5 of the teams, will sign somewhere else in the summer.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 14 April 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#50 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

What the bleep, Schroeder should be on this team - esp now that there is a centre position available. I've never understood why he was sent down, this kid was not a liability. It's pretty hard for a young player to post good underlying numbers in such a small sample size, but Schroeder did that while in Van.

AV can demote Kassian or young players all he wants, I can usually see why. But there is no logical explanation for the Schroeder thing, none, it peeves me off.

#51 Cynrgee

Cynrgee

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

What the bleep, Schroeder should be on this team - esp now that there is a centre position available. I've never understood why he was sent down, this kid was not a liability. It's pretty hard for a young player to post good underlying numbers in such a small sample size, but Schroeder did that while in Van.

AV can demote Kassian or young players all he wants, I can usually see why. But there is no logical explanation for the Schroeder thing, none, it peeves me off.

I concur.
Posted Image
Thanks to Vintage Canuck for the sig.

#52 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Actually you're wrong. D Sedin was hurt with about 10 games left last year. It was then a crazy roller coaster of line juggling all the way up to the playoffs and in the playoffs.

Ok, but I hope that his line juggling this time has a purpose and he's trying to look ahead and be planning for needing to ajust for the playoffs. We can only hope?

#53 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

That's exactly why Luongo should start... And play all remaining games.

Right because we should try that again. :o

#54 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Why would we trade for a center all so that we have to HELP him by sticking our best all around center on his wing. To give him some more 'confidence' ?

It wont last. Trust me.

#55 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,497 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Schroeder's playing great in the A right now. Rather have him as a center over Ebbett.

#56 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Schroeder's playing great in the A right now. Rather have him as a center over Ebbett.

Yep, if its a third line spot it should be Schroeder.

#57 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

I refuse to accept that. In fact, I like the move except that it exposes our lack of centre depth.

Thank you for translating.
Spoiler

#58 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,405 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Ebbett as the third line center? Really?

Just call up Schroeder already. What does this guy have to do to prove himself?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#59 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

I would like this move a lot more if they had a third line center who was adequate. The issue with this formation is Maxim Lapierre becomes the guy who will play against top line centers in the playoffs and truthfully I am more than certain he can't handle the likes of Richards, Thornton, Koivu, Toews. Either you have 2 good scoring lines or three ok lines. Id rather go with the latter option because with Cory in net scoring a couple goals less wont exactly be an issue.

#60 Biasbieksa

Biasbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

I agree with Canucks_hockey_101. I dont think Kesler is going to generate much offense with or without good wingers. Put him as a shutdown 3rd line centre. Chipping in offensively, but mainly for match ups. Keep him on the PP. Put our next best wingers with Roy on the 2nd, and let them generate the next tier of offense behind the Sedins.

IMO. If we load up our 2nd line with Roy and Kesler. Our 3rd line is not even close to being an effective 3rd line in the playoffs. We will be eaten up by the stronger offensive teams. And I dont think Schroeder is ready for that, not Ebbett.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.