The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau Becomes Liberal Leader & Possible PM

DonLever

What hockey forum? The last time i checked this was the Off-Topic Forum where such subjects are regularly discussed.

And it is only your opinion that the subject is a dead horse. All the responses in the thread seem to provide compelling evidence to the contrary.

Here is an editorial from the LPC friendly Globe and Mail which is generally considered a pro LPC newspaper historically while the National Post has a CPC friendly editorial slant.

To me the editorial pretty much sums it up and highlights the problem with Justin Trudeau's lack of experience and lack of intellect, not to mention his lack of political savvy. Justin is simply lacking.

“We have to look at the root causes,” Mr. Trudeau said the day after the bombings. “Now, we don’t know now if it was terrorism or a single crazy or a domestic issue or a foreign issue.

“But there is no question that this happened because there is someone who feels completely excluded. Completely at war with innocents. At war with a society. And our approach has to be, where do those tensions come from?”

Contrary to what Mr. Trudeau claimed, there is, in fact, a great deal of question as to whether the bomber or bombers felt “excluded,” a word that implies the perpetrators were victims of society. Is Mr. Trudeau saying that, if the world made everyone feel included, there would be no such acts? Being “completely at war with innocents,” as he put it, is not the necessary outcome of marginalization. In the case of terrorism, the willingness of a non-state actor to murder innocent people can be the result of many other factors, including calculated political ambition.

The term “root causes” is also problematic. In one sense, Mr. Trudeau is correct. Societies should always try to understand the root causes of the problems they face. But terrorism is not an internal societal ill; it is a political ill, and often external, at that. The Boston bombers likely did not have a more complicated motive than the criminal desire to see people die and/or be maimed, but like all terrorists they could undoubtedly come up with a long list of grievances if asked.

Mr. Trudeau should have known that, in the absence of any information about who had carried out the bombings, his words would come across as an ill-timed scold. He did not display much sensitivity or diplomatic maturity. More problematically, his use of the term “root causes” raises the question of what he thinks those root causes are. Is he referring to American foreign policy? We need to hear more from Mr. Trudeau on this issue.

Yes, but you see this is a hockey forum. People come to this site for hockey information and there is an off-topic forum for discussing everything else. It's right there in the title, 'off-topic'.

So you go ahead and cut and paste your heart out.

I think the key difference between the effectiveness of this ad compared to the attack ads for the last two Liberal leaders is that Trudeau feeds off of attention. I was watching CBC a few days ago with a couple lady friends (they don't care about politics) and when that ad popped up their first comments were "wow he's actually hot".

CDC is a very popular message board. All sorts use it as a platform to send out important messages to all sorts of people. If a person wants to visit, frequent the off-topic forum, and not say a darn thing about hockey, then he/she is welcome to do so.

I don't mind it. I appreciate all the useful information being filtered for me and sent to this forum. For educational and entertainment purposes, definitely.

On this forum we can discuss everything that is not hockey. From JT to the Boston bombings to Daft Punk. What EXACTLY is the problem with that?

CDC is a very popular message board. All sorts use it as a platform to send out important messages to all sorts of people. If a person wants to visit, frequent the off-topic forum, and not say a darn thing about hockey, then he/she is welcome to do so.

I don't mind it. I appreciate all the useful information being filtered for me and sent to this forum. For educational and entertainment purposes, definitely.

On this forum we can discuss everything that is not hockey. From JT to the Boston bombings to Daft Punk. What EXACTLY is the problem with that?

Archived