The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should I have gone to UBC?

Tangelos

is it worth transferring at this point? After this semester I should have 73 credits out of the 120 needed. Could be doing a co-op work term in the fall as well. Should I just man up and finish my remaining 47 credits even if it means being miserable? I don't know, maybe a summer away from the prison will cheer me up.

is it worth transferring at this point? After this semester I should have 73 credits out of the 120 needed. Could be doing a co-op work term in the fall as well. Should I just man up and finish my remaining 47 credits even if it means being miserable? I don't know, maybe a summer away from the prison will cheer me up.

You are better off in Kwantlen versus UBC or SFU in the long run. Once you graduate, you will gave a great GPA because Kwantlen is WAAAAAAAY easier to get high marks compared to either UBC or SFU. Retook one of my Biology 101 courses at Kwantlen and got an A+ which was much higher than the C+ I got at SFU. I know that it can depend on profs but Kwantlens smaller classrooms and helpful teachers and TAs make a big difference.

Ya that's another problem with SFU, every class is always full. This semester I had 5 hour gaps between classes on tuesdays and thursdays. And obviously, there's nothing ever going on up there except for stupid clubs I don't care about like the Anime club or all those religious clubs I see popping up so I just went home for a couple hours and went back for my afternoon class.

Well no, the problem was that I was stuck with a crappy enrolment time when all my other friends in my same year were able to enrol 3 or 4 days ahead of time...

And they have a Canucks club but I've NEVER heard anything from them since I signed up on my first day of school back in September 2011. NOTHING. No emails. Nothing.

You should be taking as many courses as you can during the summer at SFU. It's the one semester where it doesn't feel like a prison. The campus is so beautiful during that time and the school has such a positive vibe.

As for transferring, not all of your credits are likely to transfer so be ready to re take some classes. If you feel completely miserable at that school and feel like a change is necessary then do it.

Shameless plug: SFU has a really robust social media networking club known as SFUSMN if you're into that type of thing (started in Fall 2011). They hold speaker sessions over the course of the semester, and you can join the 'Recultured' blogging project if you enjoy blogging and working on a team. I joined in my third year and it was a great way to meet new people and be part of something that might help you in your future career. They also hold socials throughout the semester so you can meet people who you might not be able to normally outside of class.

http://thesocialmedianetwork.ca/simon-fraser-university/

Ya I'm in that club and they post events on Facebook but they're always at random pubs in downtown and it's just not worth going to. The ski and snowboard club is alright too but they only do like one ski trip to big white and that's it. I can't believe there's no ball hockey club. That would be one I would definitely be in to.

Shameless plug: SFU has a really robust social media networking club known as SFUSMN if you're into that type of thing (started in Fall 2011). They hold speaker sessions over the course of the semester, and you can join the 'Recultured' blogging project if you enjoy blogging and working on a team. I joined in my third year and it was a great way to meet new people and be part of something that might help you in your future career. They also hold socials throughout the semester so you can meet people who you might not be able to normally outside of class.

http://thesocialmedi...ser-university/

See I've never even heard of them. SFU needs to do a better job at communicating potential involvement opportunities to students. And when you do want to volunteer like for the SFSS, they make you do a resume and cover letter which I just don't have the time or motivation to do especially when I'm willing to volunteer my time for free.

I go to SFU, and turned down UBC to come here. Not sure what faculty you're in but I have had some of the most incredible experiences of my life here and made some life long friends. I feel like I have TOO much to do and too many things to attend within the SFU community and outside with SFU friends.

I'm sorry the experience isn't as fun as you hoped it would be but I really hope it turns around for you. Getting involved in clubs, played rec sports, or maybe meeting a different group of friends will help open you up to some new things.

I do agree though that SFU has a weird sort of vibe. There aren't that many people who regularly live up here so you don't get to meet as many people. I lived on the mountain for my first year and probably partied harder than I ever have in any period of my life and made a lot of friends that way. Then again I'm pretty extroverted so approaching new people isn't very difficult for myself.

And to add to everyones views in this thread- there are WAY too many international students at SFU. I have been stuck doing many group projects with people who cannot speak/read/write fluent english and its beyond frustrating.

As for reputation, it's your undergrad. It's pretty much the same everywhere. I know Beedie is an extremely prestigious business school. (faculty bias... :))

And it's a post secondary education. Everyone is somewhat intellectual so don't thing too heavily on that. Both UBC and SFU are great schools. I've met a lot of industry professionals who are EXTREMELY successful ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) and graduated from SFU.

Really? Just make them do the project. Your contribution will be translating their English into actual English.

If they don't like it threaten to do nothing and let them all fail.

It will be good practice for how their actual careers will turn out. Don't fail to point that out to them.

Post-secondary is all the same regardless of where you go. All undergrad has the same value, unless you're getting it from MIT, Oxford, Princeton, etc. UBC and SFU aren't even uttered in the same sentence. Graduate studies is when where you get your education matters a bit more. A MBA from UBC will obviously be more prestigious than say from University of Vancouver Island (with all due respect to those who got one from there).

I dunno what's your major, but most likely you'll need additional accreditation and those trump any degree you will get. Eg. A CA from Langara is equivalent to a CA from SFU. Companies can care less where you went to school, they just want to know if you got your accreditation or not.

The only real advantage a more "prestigious" school has would be networking events. Not say other schools don't have any, but they're not offered on a platter like some universities. But if you don't network, then it's a waste anyways.

As for your campus life, I have no idea about. I chose the college route. That being said, if you're expecting stuff from the movies, like American Pie or such, it's very unlikely as they're more States phenomenon. Plus, most of the crazy party schools are supposedly back East, like UWO and such.

Archived