The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should I have gone to UBC?

Tangelos

I just don't like school in general and am only going because it's what society expects of us: go to school and get a job

There's your problem. You're not going to school to learn, you're going to school because you think society expects you to go. You can find a job without a degree surprisingly enough. Maybe you need to re-think about school. I'm at SFU, and I dont' mind it at all.

Bachelor degree doesn't really matter tbh. It's all about how you apply yourself and get connections in uni.

is it worth transferring at this point? After this semester I should have 73 credits out of the 120 needed. Could be doing a co-op work term in the fall as well. Should I just man up and finish my remaining 47 credits even if it means being miserable? I don't know, maybe a summer away from the prison will cheer me up.

Ahh jabroskie... I get that you're unhappy with the whole experience at SFU, I feel you B. But you're getting close, and to transfer now (not all your credits will even transfer through), is gonna be a big setback. I'd recommend manning it up :( Props to you for even getting that far. What is your major btw?

NOW, more important issues.. SOMEONE MAKE A BALL HOCKEY THINGY AT SFU KKPLZTHXX

I graduated from SFU back in '03. I can tell you that your experiences are not unique. The first 2-3 years was tough, missing your old friends, having a tough time making new friends. I find that making acquantences is easy in SFU, but it is hard to make true friends as everybody is busy with their own school/work.

It took me a little over 5 years to finish my degree as I ended up doing 16 months of co-op. I made some good friends during co-op with other SFU students because for once you are actually together for more than an hour at a time. If you are looking into co-op, I prefer the ones where there are a few SFU students working with you, helps with the entire co-op and school experience.

I also found that towards the end of my third and fourth year, I was just more relaxed and able to enjoy the experience.

I also enjoyed the summer semester, I made a point of trying to take as many courses as I can during the summer and defer co-op to the dreary fall/winter semesters.

For the most part, a university is a university. I graduated from TWU back in '04. Two years after graduating, I went through a period where I thought that perhaps I should have made another decision on my schooling. However, that feeling quickly passed and realized that you have to put in your time. In the end, it's just important to get secondary education, where you go is not that important, at least in my case.

I have two older brothers, one went to McGill, while the other went to University of Manitoba for his undergrad and then law school in New Zealand. Financially, I'm doing a lot better than both of them, and all I did was a BA in Psychology and a minor in business.

Getting an undergrad is important, and then it's how you work your way up in your chosen field afterwards.

I also forget who said it on the first page of the thread, but school can be great experience or a terrible experience, regardless of where you go. If you make good friends right away, then it'll be a lot better. Lived in dorm for 3 years at TWU, and my next door dormmates are still my closest friends, and we all live in different provinces.

I went to UBC and absolutely loved every year of it. The place is gorgeous, has a nude beach, somewhat nearby downtown, and so many event/parties going on every week. The only time I had trouble getting into a class was 1st year English. If there is better prestige for UBC it's because our alumni networks are much larger, not necessarily because the quality is better.

I owe a lot to the school for getting me into a law program. There was so much support out there with pre-law clubs, a pre-law fraternity, networking events, volunteer opportunities downtown, and adcomms come down every year from different schools to talk about the admission process around Canada. I can't help but feel like I wouldn't have had this support at SFU.

The other huge difference that most people don't know (including a lot of UBCers) is that there is more information out there about the courses for UBC. Like to the point that there are statistical breakdowns of every class ever taken at UBC over the last 10ish years in terms of their class average, SD, and a closer look at how everyone in the classes did (EX How many kids got between 80-85%). This is EXTREMELY helpful for people who are trying to game for marks. As far as I know this doesn't exist for SFU.

I went to UBC and absolutely loved every year of it. The place is gorgeous, has a nude beach, somewhat nearby downtown, and so many event/parties going on every week. The only time I had trouble getting into a class was 1st year English. If there is better prestige for UBC it's because our alumni networks are much larger, not necessarily because the quality is better.

I owe a lot to the school for getting me into a law program. There was so much support out there with pre-law clubs, a pre-law fraternity, networking events, volunteer opportunities downtown, and adcomms come down every year from different schools to talk about the admission process around Canada. I can't help but feel like I wouldn't have had this support at SFU.

The other huge difference that most people don't know (including a lot of UBCers) is that there is more information out there about the courses for UBC. Like to the point that there are statistical breakdowns of every class ever taken at UBC over the last 10ish years in terms of their class average, SD, and a closer look at how everyone in the classes did (EX How many kids got between 80-85%). This is EXTREMELY helpful for people who are trying to game for marks. As far as I know this doesn't exist for SFU.

UBC sucks. you kn ow why? Because SFU Dining Hall is the best...

Literally go there at like 9am or something. Sit beside a power outlet. All you do is pay $5. And you can stay there for the entire day and eat as much food as you want until 9pm or whenever you want to leave. Only drawback is that once you leave, you have to pay again to enter but for $5 in the morning, that's a sick deal. And you can eat breakfast lunch and dinner. For $5.. With a waffle maker..

UBC sucks. you kn ow why? Because SFU Dining Hall is the best...

Literally go there at like 9am or something. Sit beside a power outlet. All you do is pay $5. And you can stay there for the entire day and eat as much food as you want until 9pm or whenever you want to leave. Only drawback is that once you leave, you have to pay again to enter but for $5 in the morning, that's a sick deal. And you can eat breakfast lunch and dinner. For $5.. With a waffle maker..

Archived