The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should I have gone to UBC?

Tangelos

I went to UBC and absolutely loved every year of it. The place is gorgeous, has a nude beach, somewhat nearby downtown, and so many event/parties going on every week. The only time I had trouble getting into a class was 1st year English. If there is better prestige for UBC it's because our alumni networks are much larger, not necessarily because the quality is better.

I owe a lot to the school for getting me into a law program. There was so much support out there with pre-law clubs, a pre-law fraternity, networking events, volunteer opportunities downtown, and adcomms come down every year from different schools to talk about the admission process around Canada. I can't help but feel like I wouldn't have had this support at SFU.

The other huge difference that most people don't know (including a lot of UBCers) is that there is more information out there about the courses for UBC. Like to the point that there are statistical breakdowns of every class ever taken at UBC over the last 10ish years in terms of their class average, SD, and a closer look at how everyone in the classes did (EX How many kids got between 80-85%). This is EXTREMELY helpful for people who are trying to game for marks. As far as I know this doesn't exist for SFU.

Don't start studying stuff "for the money." You're never going to be successful like that, no offense. I wanted to go into engineering too, but when I started having an interest in History and Politics I just applied for UBC Arts. You're going to be making money if you're doing what you're best at.

I would have gone into engineering, but they require chem 11 and 12 and I only took Physics in high school since I didn't really do much research into the requirements. Physics was really the only science I was interested in at the time but hey, what are you gonna do. Maybe it will end up being one of my biggest mistakes/regrets, only time will tell.

UBC sucks. you kn ow why? Because SFU Dining Hall is the best...

Literally go there at like 9am or something. Sit beside a power outlet. All you do is pay $5. And you can stay there for the entire day and eat as much food as you want until 9pm or whenever you want to leave. Only drawback is that once you leave, you have to pay again to enter but for $5 in the morning, that's a sick deal. And you can eat breakfast lunch and dinner. For $5.. With a waffle maker..

No. Extremely overrated.....better then SFU (I went there too) but its nothing spectacular.

I find their old and long reputation is resulting in a decrease in actual quality these days.

Had the choice to go to SFU, UBC, UVIC and chose SFU because of the department and the size of the uni. UBC just never appealed to me. Had a great time there (study and leisure) and made a lot of friends. The people I knew there also liked it a lot as well because of the quality of people you met . There is always lots to do at any university and its pretty hard not to meet good people.

Transferred out of UBC and went to SFU. Big improvement IMO, a lot of the people I met in the UBC Sciences programs were really uptight, competitive, and cocky. SFU on the other hand, I've made a lot more friends that are down to Earth.

Prestige doesn't matter when it comes down to UBC or SFU, both schools can get you that first, entry level job. The most important things are networking and recruiting. UBC probably has a better alumni network, but I would imagine the same employers come to UBC and SFU. If you have a strong GPA, good work experience, and a solid network, it doesn't matter which school you went to. This is all true for undergrad, but for a graduate degree I would definitely go to UBC over SFU.

Archived