152 replies to this topic

#61 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

You are better off in Kwantlen versus UBC or SFU in the long run. Once you graduate, you will gave a great GPA because Kwantlen is WAAAAAAAY easier to get high marks compared to either UBC or SFU. Retook one of my Biology 101 courses at Kwantlen and got an A+ which was much higher than the C+ I got at SFU. I know that it can depend on profs but Kwantlens smaller classrooms and helpful teachers and TAs make a big difference.

Very true. KPU's Nursing programs are better than UBC's anyway ( I heard from students that went to UBC and transferred.. not sure if true?)

#62 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

Post-secondary is all the same regardless of where you go. All undergrad has the same value, unless you're getting it from MIT, Oxford, Princeton, etc. UBC and SFU aren't even uttered in the same sentence. Graduate studies is when where you get your education matters a bit more. A MBA from UBC will obviously be more prestigious than say from University of Vancouver Island (with all due respect to those who got one from there).

I dunno what's your major, but most likely you'll need additional accreditation and those trump any degree you will get. Eg. A CA from Langara is equivalent to a CA from SFU. Companies can care less where you went to school, they just want to know if you got your accreditation or not.

The only real advantage a more "prestigious" school has would be networking events. Not say other schools don't have any, but they're not offered on a platter like some universities. But if you don't network, then it's a waste anyways.

As for your campus life, I have no idea about. I chose the college route. That being said, if you're expecting stuff from the movies, like American Pie or such, it's very unlikely as they're more States phenomenon. Plus, most of the crazy party schools are supposedly back East, like UWO and such.

#63 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

I feel bad for some of you in this thread. Posting about "fobs," not having the guts to start conversations in tutorials, and 'prestige'of UBC over SFU or vice versa, you guys need to grow up.

#64 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,918 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Nice to know nothing really changes...

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#65 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

I go to SFU and while I've never had a problem of finding something to do on campus because I live in Rez, I am transferring.

As far as school prestige, I think SFU is more worried about their brand than their product. They hype up being the most "comprehensive" school in Canada, but they only get that because classes relating to majors are always full so people have to take classes from other departments that they often don't care about just to fill up the schedule. This leads to the nickname of Stay Forever University, as graduating in 5 or more years is the rule, not the exception. While another year at 6k tuition usually isn't a big deal for bc residents, for "international" students like myself and others, tuition plus room and board is easily 25k and an extra year at that price is pretty steep for what you get.

I came in here as a Biz student as it seems to be well respected, but I've found out in my time here that it really is only hard to get into, once you get in the classes aren't anything special, Sciences seem much harder and get less press.

I hope you find the right path for you, OP whether its at SFU, another university, or a different path all together as I've been struggling with the same problem as you have for the 2 years I've been here, and finally decided that I needed to leave before going past the point of no return.

I graduated in four years. Work harder.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#66 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

The nice thing about Canadian universities is that they are all pretty good. You can go to a small school like Guelph or UNBC and get pretty much the same undergrad education as you would at UofT or UBC. So, education-wise, there is probably no advantage or disadvantage in going to SFU over UBC.

For the social aspect, sure, UBC is probably better for it, but honestly, it is what you make of it. You could have a terrible social life at UBC, or a great one at SFU. It's not about just showing up to some big party, it's about getting involved and doing things on your own.
Moo

#67 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,102 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Uvic. UBC is way too big for its own good.

#68 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

I feel bad for some of you in this thread. Posting about "fobs," not having the guts to start conversations in tutorials, and 'prestige'of UBC over SFU or vice versa, you guys need to grow up.

The fact that I've initiated the conversation with everyone I've met at SFU in the 3 years that I've been here except for maybe 2 people shows just how uninterested people are in being sociable and making friends. It takes 2 to tango and when only 1 person is interested in making new friends, it just doesn't work.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#69 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

I graduated in four years. Work harder.

I'd love to, but at best I can get 2 classes per semester relating to my major. SFU bottlenecks class registration with having 1 or 2 available times for a class required for 2 faculties in a school of 35,000

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#70 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

It's not about growing up. It's about trying to make friends and stating the cold hard truth

#71 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

To me the issue is that almost everybody in my classes are fobs.
Have you ever tried to converse with a fob?
A lot easier said than done :lol:

Jagermeister.jpg

#72 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

yes you made a very poor choice. if you wanted a true college experience, you should have gone to a state university....

sfu vs ubc prestige wise...means absolutely nothing. experience is key.

Edited by canucks.bradley, 15 April 2013 - 12:55 PM.

Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#73 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'd love to, but at best I can get 2 classes per semester relating to my major. SFU bottlenecks class registration with having 1 or 2 available times for a class required for 2 faculties in a school of 35,000

I should be less of a d-bag. For some students, you are right, it is simply not possible because of registration issues and the ridiculous WQB requirement that SFU initiated.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#74 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

I should be less of a d-bag. For some students, you are right, it is simply not possible because of registration issues and the ridiculous WQB requirement that SFU initiated.

I'm intending on being a Crim major, and due to my late registration date both semesters in my 1st year I was only able to take 1 required course. It's a horrible system they run up there.
Luckily I faired slightly better this year and salvaged some hope that I can finish up my undergrad in 8 semesters. In all likelihood I'm going to need to take a couple summer courses, but thats assuming I can even get into any...

Edited by Jägermeister, 15 April 2013 - 01:02 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#75 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm intending on being a Crim major, and due to my late registration date both semesters in my 1st year I was only able to take 1 required course. It's a horrible system they run up there.
Luckily I faired slightly better this year and salvaged some hope that I can finish up my undergrad in 8 semesters. In all likelihood I'm going to need to take a couple summer courses, but thats assuming I can even get into any...

For me, my enrolment date and time has been stuck with the first years for the past two semesters now and I'm in my 2nd year. Classes I want are always full and it frustrates me... But I do get lucky because every time I've been on the waitlist for a class, I've gotten in

#76 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

For me, my enrolment date and time has been stuck with the first years for the past two semesters now and I'm in my 2nd year. Classes I want are always full and it frustrates me... But I do get lucky because every time I've been on the waitlist for a class, I've gotten in

Ya that's another problem with SFU, every class is always full. This semester I had 5 hour gaps between classes on tuesdays and thursdays. And obviously, there's nothing ever going on up there except for stupid clubs I don't care about like the Anime club or all those religious clubs I see popping up so I just went home for a couple hours and went back for my afternoon class.

Edited by Doug The Thug Glatt, 15 April 2013 - 04:25 PM.

(Sig removed by mod)

#77 The Vancouver Connection

The Vancouver Connection

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

for people saying prestige doesn't matter are out to lunch. sure, it may be irrelevant within BC, however, outside of BC or Canada, companies are more likely to recognize UBC as opposed to SFU or Kwantlen, it's a fact.
Sig too big, 500 KB limit

#78 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Are UBC wait lists as much of a joke as UFV?

Here I'm trying to take prerequisite garbage completely unrelated to my degree, so I can take those courses that are actually relevant towards my degree. However, these prerequisite courses are run once a year, one class, and I'm currently 70th on the wait list. There are literally four classes that can be made given the number of students yet they have ONE class ONCE a year. Every time this happens, I fall further behind, as do other students.

It's going to take 6 years to complete a 4 year degree.

I should have went to a private school, paid through the nose, and at least I would be done by the end of next year.
Posted Image

#79 The Vancouver Connection

The Vancouver Connection

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

Are UBC wait lists as much of a joke as UFV?

Here I'm trying to take prerequisite garbage completely unrelated to my degree, so I can take those courses that are actually relevant towards my degree. However, these prerequisite courses are run once a year, one class, and I'm currently 70th on the wait list. There are literally four classes that can be made given the number of students yet they have ONE class ONCE a year. Every time this happens, I fall further behind, as do other students.

It's going to take 6 years to complete a 4 year degree.

I should have went to a private school, paid through the nose, and at least I would be done by the end of next year.

never experienced any issues with taking classes at UBC. that sucks man.
Sig too big, 500 KB limit

#80 HTania

HTania

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

It is a beautiful place so to be a student in UBC is kind of special.

#81 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

is it worth transferring at this point? After this semester I should have 73 credits out of the 120 needed. Could be doing a co-op work term in the fall as well. Should I just man up and finish my remaining 47 credits even if it means being miserable? I don't know, maybe a summer away from the prison will cheer me up.

(Sig removed by mod)

#82 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

is it worth transferring at this point? After this semester I should have 73 credits out of the 120 needed. Could be doing a co-op work term in the fall as well. Should I just man up and finish my remaining 47 credits even if it means being miserable? I don't know, maybe a summer away from the prison will cheer me up.

Some of the credits you have probably do not transfer over to UBC.
When I looked into transferring during my first year I found out that of the 9 courses I took, 2 of them would not have the credits carried over.

Edited by Jägermeister, 15 April 2013 - 11:06 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#83 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

I went to UBC for my undergrad and it was the best experience of my life!
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#84 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

for people saying prestige doesn't matter are out to lunch. sure, it may be irrelevant within BC, however, outside of BC or Canada, companies are more likely to recognize UBC as opposed to SFU or Kwantlen, it's a fact.

Almost nobody gets a job with just a bachelor's. My CGA worth just as much as your CGA.

#85 themcdeal

themcdeal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

You are better off in Kwantlen versus UBC or SFU in the long run. Once you graduate, you will gave a great GPA because Kwantlen is WAAAAAAAY easier to get high marks compared to either UBC or SFU. Retook one of my Biology 101 courses at Kwantlen and got an A+ which was much higher than the C+ I got at SFU. I know that it can depend on profs but Kwantlens smaller classrooms and helpful teachers and TAs make a big difference.

It varies really, I found some at SFU to be easier while others were harder. The smaller classes can make a huge difference depending on the type of student you are.

I went to both and I really preferred Kwantlen way more then SFU. SFU was such a robotic school. The second classes end you would just see a mass herd just walking towards each bus loop. No one at the school seems to wanna stick around longer then they need to. It's a really depressing school as well. Kwantlen has no school spirit as well but that's what you expect when you go to these colleges.

I kind of regret not going to UBC when I had the chance but I was not willing to make that commute and could not afford to live on res.

#86 themcdeal

themcdeal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Recognize? Sure
Will they base their decision off of it? Of course not
Your experience and accomplishments are what matter

#87 themcdeal

themcdeal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

You should be taking as many courses as you can during the summer at SFU. It's the one semester where it doesn't feel like a prison. The campus is so beautiful during that time and the school has such a positive vibe.

As for transferring, not all of your credits are likely to transfer so be ready to re take some classes. If you feel completely miserable at that school and feel like a change is necessary then do it.

#88 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

Almost nobody gets a job with just a bachelor's. My CGA worth just as much as your CGA.

Your CGA may be just as worthy as my CGA, but what I cannot stress enough is that - especially in Vancouver - it is not about what you know, but about who you know. You will get further in life by networking and creating strong connections than any other way.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#89 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

Ya that's another problem with SFU, every class is always full. This semester I had 5 hour gaps between classes on tuesdays and thursdays. And obviously, there's nothing ever going on up there except for stupid clubs I don't care about like the Anime club or all those religious clubs I see popping up so I just went home for a couple hours and went back for my afternoon class.

Well no, the problem was that I was stuck with a crappy enrolment time when all my other friends in my same year were able to enrol 3 or 4 days ahead of time...

And they have a Canucks club but I've NEVER heard anything from them since I signed up on my first day of school back in September 2011. NOTHING. No emails. Nothing.

#90 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Depends on the Bachelor. I'd say Econ, comp. sci, engineering, math, business and various science degrees are pretty good for the bachelor. Plus they wouldn't have co-op for undergrads if a bachelors degree was unemployable. I can't imagine doing more school after 5 years of high school and 4-6 years for a bachelor's.

(Sig removed by mod)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.