The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should I have gone to UBC?

Tangelos

You are better off in Kwantlen versus UBC or SFU in the long run. Once you graduate, you will gave a great GPA because Kwantlen is WAAAAAAAY easier to get high marks compared to either UBC or SFU. Retook one of my Biology 101 courses at Kwantlen and got an A+ which was much higher than the C+ I got at SFU. I know that it can depend on profs but Kwantlens smaller classrooms and helpful teachers and TAs make a big difference.

Post-secondary is all the same regardless of where you go. All undergrad has the same value, unless you're getting it from MIT, Oxford, Princeton, etc. UBC and SFU aren't even uttered in the same sentence. Graduate studies is when where you get your education matters a bit more. A MBA from UBC will obviously be more prestigious than say from University of Vancouver Island (with all due respect to those who got one from there).

I dunno what's your major, but most likely you'll need additional accreditation and those trump any degree you will get. Eg. A CA from Langara is equivalent to a CA from SFU. Companies can care less where you went to school, they just want to know if you got your accreditation or not.

The only real advantage a more "prestigious" school has would be networking events. Not say other schools don't have any, but they're not offered on a platter like some universities. But if you don't network, then it's a waste anyways.

As for your campus life, I have no idea about. I chose the college route. That being said, if you're expecting stuff from the movies, like American Pie or such, it's very unlikely as they're more States phenomenon. Plus, most of the crazy party schools are supposedly back East, like UWO and such.

I go to SFU and while I've never had a problem of finding something to do on campus because I live in Rez, I am transferring.

As far as school prestige, I think SFU is more worried about their brand than their product. They hype up being the most "comprehensive" school in Canada, but they only get that because classes relating to majors are always full so people have to take classes from other departments that they often don't care about just to fill up the schedule. This leads to the nickname of Stay Forever University, as graduating in 5 or more years is the rule, not the exception. While another year at 6k tuition usually isn't a big deal for bc residents, for "international" students like myself and others, tuition plus room and board is easily 25k and an extra year at that price is pretty steep for what you get.

I came in here as a Biz student as it seems to be well respected, but I've found out in my time here that it really is only hard to get into, once you get in the classes aren't anything special, Sciences seem much harder and get less press.

I hope you find the right path for you, OP whether its at SFU, another university, or a different path all together as I've been struggling with the same problem as you have for the 2 years I've been here, and finally decided that I needed to leave before going past the point of no return.

The nice thing about Canadian universities is that they are all pretty good. You can go to a small school like Guelph or UNBC and get pretty much the same undergrad education as you would at UofT or UBC. So, education-wise, there is probably no advantage or disadvantage in going to SFU over UBC.

For the social aspect, sure, UBC is probably better for it, but honestly, it is what you make of it. You could have a terrible social life at UBC, or a great one at SFU. It's not about just showing up to some big party, it's about getting involved and doing things on your own.

I'm intending on being a Crim major, and due to my late registration date both semesters in my 1st year I was only able to take 1 required course. It's a horrible system they run up there.

Luckily I faired slightly better this year and salvaged some hope that I can finish up my undergrad in 8 semesters. In all likelihood I'm going to need to take a couple summer courses, but thats assuming I can even get into any...

For me, my enrolment date and time has been stuck with the first years for the past two semesters now and I'm in my 2nd year. Classes I want are always full and it frustrates me... But I do get lucky because every time I've been on the waitlist for a class, I've gotten in

Are UBC wait lists as much of a joke as UFV?

Here I'm trying to take prerequisite garbage completely unrelated to my degree, so I can take those courses that are actually relevant towards my degree. However, these prerequisite courses are run once a year, one class, and I'm currently 70th on the wait list. There are literally four classes that can be made given the number of students yet they have ONE class ONCE a year. Every time this happens, I fall further behind, as do other students.

It's going to take 6 years to complete a 4 year degree.

I should have went to a private school, paid through the nose, and at least I would be done by the end of next year.

Are UBC wait lists as much of a joke as UFV?

Here I'm trying to take prerequisite garbage completely unrelated to my degree, so I can take those courses that are actually relevant towards my degree. However, these prerequisite courses are run once a year, one class, and I'm currently 70th on the wait list. There are literally four classes that can be made given the number of students yet they have ONE class ONCE a year. Every time this happens, I fall further behind, as do other students.

It's going to take 6 years to complete a 4 year degree.

I should have went to a private school, paid through the nose, and at least I would be done by the end of next year.

Archived