Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Should I have gone to UBC?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
152 replies to this topic

#91 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

Well no, the problem was that I was stuck with a crappy enrolment time when all my other friends in my same year were able to enrol 3 or 4 days ahead of time...

And they have a Canucks club but I've NEVER heard anything from them since I signed up on my first day of school back in September 2011. NOTHING. No emails. Nothing.

Ya I'm in that club and they post events on Facebook but they're always at random pubs in downtown and it's just not worth going to. The ski and snowboard club is alright too but they only do like one ski trip to big white and that's it. I can't believe there's no ball hockey club. That would be one I would definitely be in to.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#92 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

You should be taking as many courses as you can during the summer at SFU. It's the one semester where it doesn't feel like a prison. The campus is so beautiful during that time and the school has such a positive vibe.

As for transferring, not all of your credits are likely to transfer so be ready to re take some classes. If you feel completely miserable at that school and feel like a change is necessary then do it.

I did take one class last summer, and while I agree it's much brighter it still limits what you can and can't do in the summer.

(Sig removed by mod)

#93 avirji

avirji

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Shameless plug: SFU has a really robust social media networking club known as SFUSMN if you're into that type of thing (started in Fall 2011). They hold speaker sessions over the course of the semester, and you can join the 'Recultured' blogging project if you enjoy blogging and working on a team. I joined in my third year and it was a great way to meet new people and be part of something that might help you in your future career. They also hold socials throughout the semester so you can meet people who you might not be able to normally outside of class.

http://thesocialmedi...ser-university/

#94 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Ya I'm in that club and they post events on Facebook but they're always at random pubs in downtown and it's just not worth going to. The ski and snowboard club is alright too but they only do like one ski trip to big white and that's it. I can't believe there's no ball hockey club. That would be one I would definitely be in to.

Really? I never see those event invites... Maybe we should start the ball hockey club..

Shameless plug: SFU has a really robust social media networking club known as SFUSMN if you're into that type of thing (started in Fall 2011). They hold speaker sessions over the course of the semester, and you can join the 'Recultured' blogging project if you enjoy blogging and working on a team. I joined in my third year and it was a great way to meet new people and be part of something that might help you in your future career. They also hold socials throughout the semester so you can meet people who you might not be able to normally outside of class.

I joined in my first year but I never actually did anything with them.. I was gonna start a blog but that never panned out.

#95 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Really? I never see those event invites... Maybe we should start the ball hockey club..

They sometimes have drop-in ball hockey once a week in the gym, but this semester it was during my class. I was hoping to be able to drop in during the summer term, but if you look at the drop-in sports schedule, it's all Badminton and basket ball.

https://students.sfu...p-In Sports.pdf

Edited by Doug The Thug Glatt, 16 April 2013 - 02:03 PM.

(Sig removed by mod)

#96 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

See I've never even heard of them. SFU needs to do a better job at communicating potential involvement opportunities to students. And when you do want to volunteer like for the SFSS, they make you do a resume and cover letter which I just don't have the time or motivation to do especially when I'm willing to volunteer my time for free.

Edited by Doug The Thug Glatt, 16 April 2013 - 01:59 PM.

(Sig removed by mod)

#97 avirji

avirji

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

See I've never even heard of them. SFU needs to do a better job at communicating potential involvement opportunities to students. And when you do want to volunteer like for the SFSS, they make you do a resume and cover letter which I just don't have the time or motivation to do especially when I'm willing to volunteer my time for free.

That's definitely true. I'm on the incoming team, and we're thinking of ways for the club to become more known around SFU as not that many people know about it (as you demonstrated). However, the blogging team is very casual and doesn't need a resume or cover letter or anything, just some of your time and passion for writing about topics that interest you. There's also a sign-up form to be on the mailing list which I can PM to you if you want.

Additionally, there's also the Student Marketing Association (SMA). They have a range of divisions such as Promotions, Business Development, and so forth. They're more of a business-oriented club, but anyone's welcome to join to gain some experience and work on real projects.

#98 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

I go to SFU, and turned down UBC to come here. Not sure what faculty you're in but I have had some of the most incredible experiences of my life here and made some life long friends. I feel like I have TOO much to do and too many things to attend within the SFU community and outside with SFU friends.

I'm sorry the experience isn't as fun as you hoped it would be but I really hope it turns around for you. Getting involved in clubs, played rec sports, or maybe meeting a different group of friends will help open you up to some new things.

I do agree though that SFU has a weird sort of vibe. There aren't that many people who regularly live up here so you don't get to meet as many people. I lived on the mountain for my first year and probably partied harder than I ever have in any period of my life and made a lot of friends that way. Then again I'm pretty extroverted so approaching new people isn't very difficult for myself.

And to add to everyones views in this thread- there are WAY too many international students at SFU. I have been stuck doing many group projects with people who cannot speak/read/write fluent english and its beyond frustrating.

As for reputation, it's your undergrad. It's pretty much the same everywhere. I know Beedie is an extremely prestigious business school. (faculty bias... :))

And it's a post secondary education. Everyone is somewhat intellectual so don't thing too heavily on that. Both UBC and SFU are great schools. I've met a lot of industry professionals who are EXTREMELY successful ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) and graduated from SFU.

Really? Just make them do the project. Your contribution will be translating their English into actual English.

If they don't like it threaten to do nothing and let them all fail.

It will be good practice for how their actual careers will turn out. Don't fail to point that out to them.

#99 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Really? Just make them do the project. Your contribution will be translating their English into actual English.

It will be good practice for how their actual careers will turn out. Don't fail to point that out to them.

Haha that's what I did for one of my projects last semester.. I made them do everything... Interviewing, writing the script, etc. and then all I had to was edit and put the clips together.

#100 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Post-secondary is all the same regardless of where you go. All undergrad has the same value, unless you're getting it from MIT, Oxford, Princeton, etc. UBC and SFU aren't even uttered in the same sentence. Graduate studies is when where you get your education matters a bit more. A MBA from UBC will obviously be more prestigious than say from University of Vancouver Island (with all due respect to those who got one from there).

I dunno what's your major, but most likely you'll need additional accreditation and those trump any degree you will get. Eg. A CA from Langara is equivalent to a CA from SFU. Companies can care less where you went to school, they just want to know if you got your accreditation or not.

The only real advantage a more "prestigious" school has would be networking events. Not say other schools don't have any, but they're not offered on a platter like some universities. But if you don't network, then it's a waste anyways.

As for your campus life, I have no idea about. I chose the college route. That being said, if you're expecting stuff from the movies, like American Pie or such, it's very unlikely as they're more States phenomenon. Plus, most of the crazy party schools are supposedly back East, like UWO and such.

The US drinking age is 21 and the law is much more rigorously enforced there. I went to plenty of US schools during my time there and the perception is much different than the reality. Though some places would still be better than SFU but that's not hard.

#101 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

ah yes the hot chic in tutorial. Unfortunately I'm too miserable to make a move let alone strike up a conversation so I end up doing nothing and never see her again after the semester is done. Just adds to the sadness :sadno:

This is why God invented alcohol.

If your that shy suggest the whole tutorial continue their studies at the bar. If no bar is available bring one with you.

No I am not kidding.

#102 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

That's definitely true. I'm on the incoming team, and we're thinking of ways for the club to become more known around SFU as not that many people know about it (as you demonstrated). However, the blogging team is very casual and doesn't need a resume or cover letter or anything, just some of your time and passion for writing about topics that interest you. There's also a sign-up form to be on the mailing list which I can PM to you if you want.

Additionally, there's also the Student Marketing Association (SMA). They have a range of divisions such as Promotions, Business Development, and so forth. They're more of a business-oriented club, but anyone's welcome to join to gain some experience and work on real projects.

Yea sure, I wouldn't mind looking into it while I'm still here.

(Sig removed by mod)

#103 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

I graduated in four years. Work harder.

I graduated in six. Drink harder.

#104 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

This is why God invented alcohol.

If your that shy suggest the whole tutorial continue their studies at the bar. If no bar is available bring one with you.

No I am not kidding.

I wouldn't say I'm shy, it's that no one seems to want to make friends up at SFU, so I'm like why should I even bother.

(Sig removed by mod)

#105 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Make one then. Better yet make it co-ed so that you can solve your girl problem at the same time.

Also be sure to bring beers for after the game.

#106 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I wouldn't say I'm shy, it's that no one seems to want to make friends up at SFU, so I'm like why should I even bother.

Well, here's a reality I figured out even before I got to UBC.

It was a hand-out they sent as a welcome guide for people. Basically it pointed out that all the keeners from school would now be the majority and you would fit right in.

As such, you can't really expect people to take the imitative and do things on their own. Work on the life skill of corrupting others.

You might be surprised where it takes you. Go out and rent the Will Ferrel movie old school. Then pretend it's a documentary and live it out. You would be shocked how well it does.

#107 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

They will spend most of their careers back in their country of origin. A lot of students come to Canada for the University education but don't stick around for the jobs.

Shiznak at his best: 

Considering their cap hit and age, I'd still take Bonino over Kesler. 

#108 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

It is probably better if you stop thinking about the past. What's done is done. Move on. If you keep dwelling on all of the things you think you should have done, you're going to feel frustrated and sad.

No one? I doubt that. Why should you even bother? It seems like you're giving up without even trying. If you want friends, go out and show them that you'd make a good friend. There are some amazing people that are very outgoing and will talk to anyone, but then there are the majority of people that don't care too much to engage with people they don't know for no reason. However, if you show some interest and put in a tiny bit of effort, a lot of people will be friendly. If you want to make friends, you may have to take a chance instead of waiting for the few outgoing people that will engage you first.

When I was in my first two years at ubc, I made my best friends in rez. I did find that it was a bit harder to make friends in class though.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 16 April 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#109 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

I want a seperate thread with regular updates on how Doug The Thug Glatt is getting on with pretty tutorial girl.

Come on dude. Just strike up a conversation. Don't be like me and waste your first three years talking to next to nobody. I've met so many people this year that I really like. Which is typical because now I've only got a month of uni left and I wish I'd done it sooner.

#110 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

I want a seperate thread with regular updates on how Doug The Thug Glatt is getting on with pretty tutorial girl.

Come on dude. Just strike up a conversation. Don't be like me and waste your first three years talking to next to nobody. I've met so many people this year that I really like. Which is typical because now I've only got a month of uni left and I wish I'd done it sooner.

Haha well that ship has sailed, it's already been 3 years and its exam time so no more tutorials. Fortunately I don't put all my eggs in one basket. I've still got 47 units to go so who knows there may be another pretty girl in a future tutorial.

Edited by Doug The Thug Glatt, 16 April 2013 - 05:34 PM.

(Sig removed by mod)

#111 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Just keep trying and stir up a conversation. If they give you a weird look then you can just ignore them and tell them to go **** themselves (in your head of course, you don't want to cause a scene :lol: ). Gradually just keep talking more and more with people and the next thing you know, you'll be out at the pub hanging out with them.

Despite my suggestions, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are. You're probably better off though because I'm just naturally really picky with people. But don't just assume everyone out there is antisocial, take the initiative, a lot of people like that. When things don't work out, you'll know what to fix and gain a good grasp on how this whole game of "getting friends" works. I messed up so much in first year and even this year when it came to talking to people. I've done some little things that make others awkward, but I know what I did wrong now and hopefully things will turn around!

Oh, and a little bit of luck always helps.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan, 16 April 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#112 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Haha well that ship has sailed, it's already been 3 years and its exam time so no more tutorials. Fortunately I don't put all my eggs in one basket. I've still got 47 units to go so who knows there may be another pretty girl in a future tutorial.

I TAed this guy who came to my office hours for some help. He randomly told me that he found a girl in his tutorial attractive. The next time students were required to get into groups in tutorial I forced them to be in a group together. You could always try to get your TA to wingman for you next time you feel a little shy or apprehensive.

Shiznak at his best: 

#113 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I TAed this guy who came to my office hours for some help. He randomly told me that he found a girl in his tutorial attractive. The next time students were required to get into groups in tutorial I forced them to be in a group together. You could always try to get your TA to wingman for you next time you feel a little shy or apprehensive.

that's awesome. What class do you TA? :bigblush:

(Sig removed by mod)

#114 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Please come to UBC, be my TA.

#115 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

that's awesome. What class do you TA? :bigblush:

TA/TM A lot of different Criminology classes.

Shiznak at his best: 

#116 Suits

Suits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

I actually was recently admitted into UBC's Bachelor of Commerce program :). Can anyone tell me some stuff about UBC I should know about before I enter? Of course, stuff that can't be found on their website.

#wwhd

#117 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

you know what else sucks about SFU? The only parties they have are at the end of the semester right in the middle of exams. Like the beach party is this friday and I have an exam saturday at 8:30am. At least UBC's block party is a week before. SFU my man... you're breaking my balls :wacko:

Edited by Doug The Thug Glatt, 16 April 2013 - 08:28 PM.

(Sig removed by mod)

#118 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

TA/TM A lot of different Criminology classes.

How did you end up in criminology from chem eng? I guess I can ask you next weekend.

#119 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

I just don't like school in general and am only going because it's what society expects of us: go to school and get a job

There's your problem. You're not going to school to learn, you're going to school because you think society expects you to go. You can find a job without a degree surprisingly enough. Maybe you need to re-think about school. I'm at SFU, and I dont' mind it at all.

Bachelor degree doesn't really matter tbh. It's all about how you apply yourself and get connections in uni.

#120 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

I actually was recently admitted into UBC's Bachelor of Commerce program :). Can anyone tell me some stuff about UBC I should know about before I enter? Of course, stuff that can't be found on their website.

You're going to be in Sauder. You're set, nothing more to say.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.