152 replies to this topic

#121 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

I just don't like school in general and am only going because it's what society expects of us: go to school and get a job

There's your problem. You're not going to school to learn, you're going to school because you think society expects you to go. You can find a job without a degree surprisingly enough. Maybe you need to re-think about school. I'm at SFU, and I dont' mind it at all.

Bachelor degree doesn't really matter tbh. It's all about how you apply yourself and get connections in uni.

Well I think a lot of people would say they don't like school. I bet if anyone here won the lottery, they would drop out in a heartbeat.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#122 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

is it worth transferring at this point? After this semester I should have 73 credits out of the 120 needed. Could be doing a co-op work term in the fall as well. Should I just man up and finish my remaining 47 credits even if it means being miserable? I don't know, maybe a summer away from the prison will cheer me up.

Ahh jabroskie... I get that you're unhappy with the whole experience at SFU, I feel you B. But you're getting close, and to transfer now (not all your credits will even transfer through), is gonna be a big setback. I'd recommend manning it up :( Props to you for even getting that far. What is your major btw?

NOW, more important issues.. SOMEONE MAKE A BALL HOCKEY THINGY AT SFU KKPLZTHXX

Posted Image

#123 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ahh jabroskie... I get that you're unhappy with the whole experience at SFU, I feel you B. But you're getting close, and to transfer now (not all your credits will even transfer through), is gonna be a big setback. I'd recommend manning it up :( Props to you for even getting that far. What is your major btw?

NOW, more important issues.. SOMEONE MAKE A BALL HOCKEY THINGY AT SFU KKPLZTHXX

hey yea thanks for the friendly words of wisdom. I'm an econ major with a possible math minor. Hopefully it's a good undergrad degree in terms of job prospects, but we'll soon find out with co-op...

And yes we definitely need a ball hockey club! They got rid of the drop-in ball hockey for the summer term for badminton EVERYDAY :sick:

It would be a pretty difficult club to start and maintain, since you need to book a time to use the gym, hope that at least 10 ppl can/will make that time so we get a 5 on 5 game (we'd probably need more than that since I don't think my cardio is good enough to play 2 hours of non stop ball hockey), provide hockey sticks and goalie equipment, and make rules so that people aren't just doing whatever.

Edited by Doug The Thug Glatt, 17 April 2013 - 11:06 AM.

(Sig removed by mod)

#124 vavoom

vavoom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

I graduated from SFU back in '03. I can tell you that your experiences are not unique. The first 2-3 years was tough, missing your old friends, having a tough time making new friends. I find that making acquantences is easy in SFU, but it is hard to make true friends as everybody is busy with their own school/work.

It took me a little over 5 years to finish my degree as I ended up doing 16 months of co-op. I made some good friends during co-op with other SFU students because for once you are actually together for more than an hour at a time. If you are looking into co-op, I prefer the ones where there are a few SFU students working with you, helps with the entire co-op and school experience.

I also found that towards the end of my third and fourth year, I was just more relaxed and able to enjoy the experience.

I also enjoyed the summer semester, I made a point of trying to take as many courses as I can during the summer and defer co-op to the dreary fall/winter semesters.

#125 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

BCIT.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#126 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Well I think a lot of people would say they don't like school. I bet if anyone here won the lottery, they would drop out in a heartbeat.

I'm pretty sure everyone would do it. I would do it too to be honest. I would rather go travelling and do things I wouldn't be able to do with all the money I have, but after all that, I'd definitely go back to school and finish my degree.

#127 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,972 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

never experienced any issues with taking classes at UBC. that sucks man.

Definitely.

At least I got into a couple other classes.. finally.

But a wait list of 70 is a joke.
Posted Image

#128 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

For the most part, a university is a university. I graduated from TWU back in '04. Two years after graduating, I went through a period where I thought that perhaps I should have made another decision on my schooling. However, that feeling quickly passed and realized that you have to put in your time. In the end, it's just important to get secondary education, where you go is not that important, at least in my case.

I have two older brothers, one went to McGill, while the other went to University of Manitoba for his undergrad and then law school in New Zealand. Financially, I'm doing a lot better than both of them, and all I did was a BA in Psychology and a minor in business.

Getting an undergrad is important, and then it's how you work your way up in your chosen field afterwards.

I also forget who said it on the first page of the thread, but school can be great experience or a terrible experience, regardless of where you go. If you make good friends right away, then it'll be a lot better. Lived in dorm for 3 years at TWU, and my next door dormmates are still my closest friends, and we all live in different provinces.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#129 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Definitely.

At least I got into a couple other classes.. finally.

But a wait list of 70 is a joke.

lol I have a friend taking 300/400 level business courses and the class size is full at 25 but the waitlist for that class is 50

#130 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,972 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

lol I have a friend taking 300/400 level business courses and the class size is full at 25 but the waitlist for that class is 50

Probably. It's stupid. Universities KNOW students want to take these courses, they NEED to take them, yet they never have enough room so they end up jerking dozens of students around.

The goal of university is to learn, get your certifications and such and get out in the real world to make money. Not piss around, getting nowhere, waiting months to take a class that you need.
Posted Image

#131 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Some courses do open up more seats if they realize it's maxing out quickly The reason why seats are low is probably because there aren't enough qualified TAs to help with that course.

#132 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

It's like that when you're there. But having been out of it for over a decade now you might look back at the good parts.

If I won the lottery I would go back and get an Arts degree in French/German and spend a couple months each year there to practice up. Of course too old to hang out with the people there but at least I would get to look at all the women.

#133 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

BCIT.

No. Extremely overrated.....better then SFU (I went there too) but its nothing spectacular.

I find their old and long reputation is resulting in a decrease in actual quality these days.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#134 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

In my books, if a school can give you one of these

Posted Image

then it is a good school. Therefore, SFU seems good to me.

Also, Arthur Erickson is a G. Has anyone seen Eppich house? Lots of AE in this.

#135 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

No. Extremely overrated.....better then SFU (I went there too) but its nothing spectacular.

I find their old and long reputation is resulting in a decrease in actual quality these days.

Really? Because I was planning on going to BCIT for a couple years for more intensive studies in my future career

#136 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

I went to UBC and absolutely loved every year of it. The place is gorgeous, has a nude beach, somewhat nearby downtown, and so many event/parties going on every week. The only time I had trouble getting into a class was 1st year English. If there is better prestige for UBC it's because our alumni networks are much larger, not necessarily because the quality is better.

I owe a lot to the school for getting me into a law program. There was so much support out there with pre-law clubs, a pre-law fraternity, networking events, volunteer opportunities downtown, and adcomms come down every year from different schools to talk about the admission process around Canada. I can't help but feel like I wouldn't have had this support at SFU.

The other huge difference that most people don't know (including a lot of UBCers) is that there is more information out there about the courses for UBC. Like to the point that there are statistical breakdowns of every class ever taken at UBC over the last 10ish years in terms of their class average, SD, and a closer look at how everyone in the classes did (EX How many kids got between 80-85%). This is EXTREMELY helpful for people who are trying to game for marks. As far as I know this doesn't exist for SFU.

#137 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

Really? Because I was planning on going to BCIT for a couple years for more intensive studies in my future career

Well depends what you want out of it. It's definitely better then the bigger post secondary institutions around here, but nothing too impressive as far as I am concerned.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#138 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

I went to UBC and absolutely loved every year of it. The place is gorgeous, has a nude beach, somewhat nearby downtown, and so many event/parties going on every week. The only time I had trouble getting into a class was 1st year English. If there is better prestige for UBC it's because our alumni networks are much larger, not necessarily because the quality is better.

I owe a lot to the school for getting me into a law program. There was so much support out there with pre-law clubs, a pre-law fraternity, networking events, volunteer opportunities downtown, and adcomms come down every year from different schools to talk about the admission process around Canada. I can't help but feel like I wouldn't have had this support at SFU.

The other huge difference that most people don't know (including a lot of UBCers) is that there is more information out there about the courses for UBC. Like to the point that there are statistical breakdowns of every class ever taken at UBC over the last 10ish years in terms of their class average, SD, and a closer look at how everyone in the classes did (EX How many kids got between 80-85%). This is EXTREMELY helpful for people who are trying to game for marks. As far as I know this doesn't exist for SFU.

k thanks... I think it's pretty obvious at this point that I made the wrong choice :(

(Sig removed by mod)

#139 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

UBC sucks. you kn ow why? Because SFU Dining Hall is the best...

Literally go there at like 9am or something. Sit beside a power outlet. All you do is pay $5. And you can stay there for the entire day and eat as much food as you want until 9pm or whenever you want to leave. Only drawback is that once you leave, you have to pay again to enter but for $5 in the morning, that's a sick deal. And you can eat breakfast lunch and dinner. For $5.. With a waffle maker..

#140 Trade Deadline

Trade Deadline

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

Literally go there at like 9am or something. Sit beside a power outlet. All you do is pay $5. And you can stay there for the entire day and eat as much food as you want until 9pm or whenever you want to leave. Only drawback is that once you leave, you have to pay again to enter but for $5 in the morning, that's a sick deal. And you can eat breakfast lunch and dinner. For $5.. With a waffle maker..

So UBC sucks because SFU has $5 dollar meals and a waffle maker?

Strong everything.

Posted Image

#141 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

It does exist, some students told me about it but I have no idea where to access this information.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#142 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

Don't start studying stuff "for the money." You're never going to be successful like that, no offense. I wanted to go into engineering too, but when I started having an interest in History and Politics I just applied for UBC Arts. You're going to be making money if you're doing what you're best at.

I am not entirely sure what you mean in the bolded part. I chose a field for the money and I didn't find it particularly interesting. I have been working for almost a year now.

In my final year of high school, I didn't find myself particularly "good" at any particular subject nor did I find anything particularly interesting aside from video games and girls. I scored in the 90s in all my classes but that was mostly through hard work. Sure, I suppose I could have tried to become a professional gamer or a Playboy photographer but that didn't seem very likely. I had no idea what I wanted to do.

I chose engineering at UBC because it had some of the best chances for employment after graduation due to the highly specialized nature of the work and the required accreditation. I went in with a fairly open mind and I found that the skill and interest grew as I went along. What I was "best at" came through endless learning and practice.

It really depends on attitude and mindset. If you go into college in a program thinking that you are going to not like it and that you are only there for the money, its probably going to result in failure. However, if you go to college with an open mind and ready to learn, the interest and skill will come naturally. I think that is why young children often become successful at things they are exposed to a young age. When they are very young, they are very open minded and ready to learn and soak in information. Young children learn, they become better, interest grows and it snowballs. Many schools unfortunately turn learning into a chore. So my point is that if even if you don't completely like something at first, if you have the right mindset and are willing to put in effort, it will become more interesting and you will become better at it. The interest and skill doesn't necessarily have to come first.

Sorry for the long post, I wasn't expecting to type that much.

Edited by The Situation, 04 May 2013 - 12:06 AM.

Posted Image

#143 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

I would have gone into engineering, but they require chem 11 and 12 and I only took Physics in high school since I didn't really do much research into the requirements. Physics was really the only science I was interested in at the time but hey, what are you gonna do. Maybe it will end up being one of my biggest mistakes/regrets, only time will tell.

(Sig removed by mod)

#144 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:45 AM

I agree that many people don't like school but I wouldn't have dropped out even if I had won the lottery. I think that is the kind of attitude that results in a lot of people not enjoying their time in college or burning out. Go in with a desire to learn. Sure, let the desire to make money influence your choice of what department to apply into but don't let it be the sole reason you are there once you are in.

In fact, if I won the lottery, I would probably go back into school with all the extra time on my hands. Although, if I had won, I might have taken another year or two because the pace in engineering is intense! I kind of went at full pace because of growing student loan debt.

I would have gone into engineering, but they require chem 11 and 12 and I only took Physics in high school since I didn't really do much research into the requirements. Physics was really the only science I was interested in at the time but hey, what are you gonna do. Maybe it will end up being one of my biggest mistakes/regrets, only time will tell.

My advice is not to regret something like this. Its not healthy going forward. That isn't to say, have no regrets because if you did something to harm someone else, obviously you should regret that.

Edited by The Situation, 04 May 2013 - 12:50 AM.

Posted Image

#145 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

I'd still go to school even if I had won a lottery.

Posted Image

#146 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:27 AM

You must be related to this guy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#147 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

How can you compare BCIT to SFU??

BCIT is a trades school while SFU is a comprehensive university. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Posted Image

#148 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

South Harmon Institute of Technology.

/=S=/

#149 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:54 AM

Had the choice to go to SFU, UBC, UVIC and chose SFU because of the department and the size of the uni. UBC just never appealed to me. Had a great time there (study and leisure) and made a lot of friends. The people I knew there also liked it a lot as well because of the quality of people you met . There is always lots to do at any university and its pretty hard not to meet good people.

#150 TheHitman

TheHitman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:44 AM

Transferred out of UBC and went to SFU. Big improvement IMO, a lot of the people I met in the UBC Sciences programs were really uptight, competitive, and cocky. SFU on the other hand, I've made a lot more friends that are down to Earth.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.