The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should I have gone to UBC?

Tangelos

That's definitely true. I'm on the incoming team, and we're thinking of ways for the club to become more known around SFU as not that many people know about it (as you demonstrated). However, the blogging team is very casual and doesn't need a resume or cover letter or anything, just some of your time and passion for writing about topics that interest you. There's also a sign-up form to be on the mailing list which I can PM to you if you want.

Additionally, there's also the Student Marketing Association (SMA). They have a range of divisions such as Promotions, Business Development, and so forth. They're more of a business-oriented club, but anyone's welcome to join to gain some experience and work on real projects.

Ya I'm in that club and they post events on Facebook but they're always at random pubs in downtown and it's just not worth going to. The ski and snowboard club is alright too but they only do like one ski trip to big white and that's it. I can't believe there's no ball hockey club. That would be one I would definitely be in to.

It is probably better if you stop thinking about the past. What's done is done. Move on. If you keep dwelling on all of the things you think you should have done, you're going to feel frustrated and sad.

I wouldn't say I'm shy, it's that no one seems to want to make friends up at SFU, so I'm like why should I even bother.

I want a seperate thread with regular updates on how Doug The Thug Glatt is getting on with pretty tutorial girl.

Come on dude. Just strike up a conversation. Don't be like me and waste your first three years talking to next to nobody. I've met so many people this year that I really like. Which is typical because now I've only got a month of uni left and I wish I'd done it sooner.

I want a seperate thread with regular updates on how Doug The Thug Glatt is getting on with pretty tutorial girl.

Come on dude. Just strike up a conversation. Don't be like me and waste your first three years talking to next to nobody. I've met so many people this year that I really like. Which is typical because now I've only got a month of uni left and I wish I'd done it sooner.

Just keep trying and stir up a conversation. If they give you a weird look then you can just ignore them and tell them to go **** themselves (in your head of course, you don't want to cause a scene :lol: ). Gradually just keep talking more and more with people and the next thing you know, you'll be out at the pub hanging out with them.

Despite my suggestions, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are. You're probably better off though because I'm just naturally really picky with people. But don't just assume everyone out there is antisocial, take the initiative, a lot of people like that. When things don't work out, you'll know what to fix and gain a good grasp on how this whole game of "getting friends" works. I messed up so much in first year and even this year when it came to talking to people. I've done some little things that make others awkward, but I know what I did wrong now and hopefully things will turn around!

Oh, and a little bit of luck always helps.

I TAed this guy who came to my office hours for some help. He randomly told me that he found a girl in his tutorial attractive. The next time students were required to get into groups in tutorial I forced them to be in a group together. You could always try to get your TA to wingman for you next time you feel a little shy or apprehensive.

I TAed this guy who came to my office hours for some help. He randomly told me that he found a girl in his tutorial attractive. The next time students were required to get into groups in tutorial I forced them to be in a group together. You could always try to get your TA to wingman for you next time you feel a little shy or apprehensive.

I actually was recently admitted into UBC's Bachelor of Commerce program :). Can anyone tell me some stuff about UBC I should know about before I enter? Of course, stuff that can't be found on their website.

you know what else sucks about SFU? The only parties they have are at the end of the semester right in the middle of exams. Like the beach party is this friday and I have an exam saturday at 8:30am. At least UBC's block party is a week before. SFU my man... you're breaking my balls :wacko:

I just don't like school in general and am only going because it's what society expects of us: go to school and get a job

There's your problem. You're not going to school to learn, you're going to school because you think society expects you to go. You can find a job without a degree surprisingly enough. Maybe you need to re-think about school. I'm at SFU, and I dont' mind it at all.

Bachelor degree doesn't really matter tbh. It's all about how you apply yourself and get connections in uni.

Archived