The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official NHL 14 Thread

Please Call 911

Seeing the large amount of NHL 14 threads already was wondering if we could just start one mega thread about the game instead of one thread for the screenshot, one thread for the announcement etc. etc. etc.

So the trailer has been released!

So it seems I was right - hitting looks to be the main focus of the game. After seeing the screenshot I had suspicions that this year's main focus was on hitting and after watching the trailer it seems to confirm this

EDIT: After reading the article on EA's main website, it seems it is true - hitting is the main focus

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news/article/vision-of-hockey-nhl-14

NHL 14 Features

• NHL® Collision Physics – Developed from the same core technology that powers EA SPORTS FIFA’s critically-acclaimed Player Impact Engine, NHL® Collision Physics introduces bigger, more thrilling hits, and truer-to-life collisions. A new left-stick control scheme makes delivering a game-changing hit simpler and more rewarding than ever.
  • Enforcer Engine – There is a code in hockey, when it's broken you have to respond. A first for the NHL franchise, Fight Night technology delivers a new 3rd person experience, physics-based punch targeting and player size differentiation to every fight, creating the most authentic and electrifying experience yet.
  • One-Touch Dekes – Experience what it feels like to be a superstar through a new, more responsive deking system controlled only with the left stick and one-button. From beginner to advanced gamers, the system allows for quicker reactive dekes and intuitive combination dekes, creating more moves than ever before.
  • True Performance Skating – Built on the breakthrough innovation that introduced physics-based skating and over 1,000 new skating animations to the EA SPORTS NHL franchise. The second year of the True Performance Skating features improved acceleration, explosive first-strides, quicker pivots and enhanced lateral skating, resulting in greater player responsiveness and unprecedented control.
  • Live the Life – The new incarnation of the Be a Pro Career Mode, now you can truly Live the Life of an NHL player. On or off the ice, every decision you make shapes your legacy as an athlete. Interact with teammates outside of the rink. Take part in media interviews. Each choice you make will affect your relationship with fans, teammates and management, influencing your skills and progression.
  • EA SPORTS NHL Online Seasons NHL 14 adds the best-in-class promotion and relegation system in the sports category to the Hockey Ultimate Team & EA SPORTS Hockey League modes. Win games and advance to the next division to face tougher competition, fall short and see your team bumped down. Teams will be able to track their progress across multiple seasons.

Some thoughts:

One touch deking could be a disaster, considering how long it's been the LB dekes. now everyone has to learn all over again. Happy that they added new dekes though, it's been the same stuff over and over again for the last few years

NHL Collision Physics could be fun - but it could also be a disaster. One thing we know and that's there shouldn't be anymore hercules checks.

Live the Life - THEY ARE FINALLY MAKING BE A PRO BETTER!!!! Finally!!! Now it's looking more and more like the NBA 2K My Career that I love to play! Media interviews - hell yea!

EA Sports Online Seasons - Now this seems like a blatant rip off of NBA 2K's My Team mode, but I don't mind - nice to have some variety. HUT should be even better now.

I've had every single ea sports hockey game since 03, and even some 2k & Gretzky brand hockey games. No way in hell am I buying this one. I've played nhl13 only a handful of times since buying it on release day.

To quote JR, "Wake up EAsports, Wake up"

Guest Gumballthechewy

Live the Life - THEY ARE FINALLY MAKING BE A PRO BETTER!!!! Finally!!! Now it's looking more and more like the NBA 2K My Career that I love to play! Media interviews - hell yea!

I nearly play BAP exclusively so this is huge and wonderful news to me!!

I'm actually excited for a new NHL game for the first time in a long time!

I wonder if they'll finally add injurys and suspensions to BAP?

Guest Gumballthechewy

That enforcer engine sounds neat. So if you mess with the stars you'll have the goons come after you?

That enforcer engine sounds neat. So if you mess with the stars you'll have the goons come after you?

I doubt it, you'll still have to accept the fight, just means size comes into play. Will be tough for a 5'8 forward to beat up a 6'5 defenseman in eashl now

Guest Gumballthechewy

I doubt it, you'll still have to accept the fight, just means size comes into play. Will be tough for a 5'8 forward to beat up a 6'5 defenseman in eashl now

Ahh, ok.

I would love it if they made it so if you harass their starts you'll be targeted more for hits and stuff.

And the fight initiation needs a little change, some fights you shouldn't be able to refuse, although I don't know how that could be implemented.

Only excitement I can see is the Be a Pro feature.. Finally upgraded it since they've introduced it.. Ever since, it's always been the same old story with no improvements

I wonder if they're allowed to have KHL rosters or if it clashes with some legal issues and all that stuff.... I really hope they remove Bill Clement and bring back Jim Hughson

Guest Gumballthechewy

Only excitement I can see is the Be a Pro feature.. Finally upgraded it since they've introduced it.. Ever since, it's always been the same old story with no improvements

I wonder if they're allowed to have KHL rosters or if it clashes with some legal issues and all that stuff.... I really hope they remove Bill Clement and bring back Jim Hughson

The improvements to BAP have got me so stoked, but chances are they'll dissapoint somehow, it is still EA. :P

I really don't think you'll ever see KHL teams in an NHL game, I hope I'm wrong though because I would love that, just don't bet on it. I would also love the IIHF in the game and in BAP you could participate in the WC the WJC and the Olympics. Again, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I wish 2k would come back.

Without competition there is no improvement.

Look how far technology has come in the last hundred years compared to the last hundred years before that, because of WWI, WWII, and especially the Cold War.

The same can be applied to anything even video games.

Archived