The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Firing] Tambo done in Oil Town

I didn't think it was realistic they would be a playoff this year but were really building towards making an impact next year, but I guess you could argue that Tambellini was expected to have done more to build a complete team than rely on high draft picks and a marquee UFA signing.

Honestly, what did Tambo do? He signed Justin Schultz, which any idiot would've realized was a good idea. And he traded Gilbert for the other Schultz. Did he do anything else?

He definitely hasn't been building a team. He's been amassing talent. Their roster has no balance. They have an abundance of smallish, softish but exceptionally talented top-6 forwards. But there's not a single player in their top-6 who is tough to play against. And their bottom-6 is ineffective. And their defense blows. And their goaltending is dubnious at best.

MacT needs to man up and decide which of the young core he wants to keep, and which he wants to trade away to address areas of need. At the beginning of the season, when PK Subban was still unsigned, I suggested that Edmonton trade Yakupov for Subban + (Subban + Eller was what I suggested). Obviously, that'd be off the cards now. But that's the sort of move they need to make.

Generally, it holds true that the team who gets the best player in a given trade wins that trade. But Edmonton is set-up such that trading Yakupov for a solid, top-9 centre and a good two-way defenseman would substantially improve their team.

Or how about trading Gagner while his value is up. Trade him for a 2008 version of Ryan Kesler plus a little something else.

Essentially, the Oilers need to do a mini rebuild.

Archived