The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boston bombing thread. Please keep all talk here.

DonLever

Deosn't look like it to me.

I would expect a "military op" to be a bit (and by a bit, I mean a lot) more well planned and carried out.

Few people in the vicinity of the explosion...two hours after the marathon winner crossed the finish line...second explosion not in an area, or at a time where first responders would have been targeted...

It looks to me like a Timothy McVeigh type nutjob...

Seth MacFarlane calls Family Guy hoax clip 'abhorrent' after episode pulled

Network cancels Turban Cowboy episode after mix of clips posted on internet appeared to depict scenes from attacks

"Rupert Murdoch's Fox network has pulled an episode of animated series Family Guy, after a series of clips from the show were edited and put online that appeared to depict parallels with the fatal attacks at Monday'sBoston Marathon.

In the episode, called Turban Cowboy, main character Peter Griffin is seen crashing into runner in a car in order to win the race.

When asked by sports announcer Bob Costas about his performance he says: "I'll tell ya, Bob, I just got in my car and drove it," Griffin says. "And when there was a guy in my way, I killed him."

Later in the show in an unconnected incident he is seen befriending a terrorist who is plotting to blow up a bridge. The terrorist gives Griffin a mobile phone, which he uses to accidentally detonate the bomb.

Fox spokeswoman Gaude Paez said the episode, which was broadcast on TV in the US last month, has been removed from Fox.com and Hulu.com.

Fox moved to pull the episode after an internet mash-up of the two scenes from the show appeared online on Tuesday which made it look as if the explosions happened at the marathon.

Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy, said on Tuesday that the hoax clip currently circulating is "abhorrent".

"The edited Family Guy clip currently circulating is abhorrent," he tweeted. "The event was a crime and a tragedy, and my thoughts are with the victims."

Paez said that Fox officials were working with YouTube to take down the edited clips.

Channel 4's movie station, Film4, has taken the film Four Lions out of its schedule next week after the Boston Marathon bombings.

The comedy is about a group of British Muslims planning a bomb attack at the London Marathon.

In a statement, the channel said: "In light of recent tragic events, Film4 has decided not to proceed with the planned broadcast of Four Lions which was scheduled for Monday 22 April."

A previous episode of Family Guy was pulled after last December's Sandy Hook school shooting in which 20 children were killed in Newtown, Connecticut."

http://www.guardian....boston-marathon

I dont know how this thread turned into flaming Alex Jones.

When you keep in mind all major media is owned by like 3 conglomerates, with very controlled sources of information of news. Its nice to have a source of media that challenges popular opinion, and or raises valid points or questions.

And know as per always the truth lies somewhere in between.

I dont know how this thread turned into flaming Alex Jones.

When you keep in mind all major media is owned by like 3 conglomerates, with very controlled sources of information of news. Its nice to have a source of media that challenges popular opinion, and or raises valid points or questions.

And know as per always the truth lies somewhere in between.

Here is a report from the NY Times of the gun battle in Watertown and may be related to an earlier shooting of a police officer at MIT.

The Boston Globe ‏@BostonGlobe

One Marathon bombing suspect has been caught, and another is on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with police, officials said.

Explosives Detonated in Massachusetts Standoff

Two young men, armed with guns and explosives in what appeared to be backpacks, engaged in a violent standoff with dozens of police on a street in Watertown, Mass., Thursday night, a resident said.

Andrew Kitzenburg, 29, said he looked out of this third floor window to see two young men of slight build in jackets shooting at dozens of police officers from behind a black Mercedes SUV. The officers and the men were 70 yards apart, he said, and engaged in “constant gunfire.”

A police SUV “drove towards the shooters,” he said, and was shot at until it was severely damaged. It rolled out of control, Mr. Kitzenberg said, and crashed into two cars in his driveway.

The two shooters, he said, had a large and unwieldy bomb. “They lit it, still in the middle of the gunfire, and threw it. But it went 20 yards at most.” It exploded, he said, and one of the two men ran towards the gathered police officers. He was tackled, but it was not clear if he was shot, Mr. Kitzenberg said.

The other, he said, got back into the SUV, turned it toward the officers and “put the pedal to the metal.” The car “went right through the cops, broke right through and continued west.”

The two men left “a few backpacks right by the car, and there is a bomb robot out there now.” Police had told residents to stay away from their windows, he said.

The standoff came within hours of an incident at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in which a campus police officer was shot and killed.

The officer, who was not named, responded to a report of a disturbance near Vassar and Main Streets, the Middlesex County District Attorney Michael Pelgro said in a statement early Friday. He was found, the statement said with “multiple gunshot wounds” and taken to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

M.I.T. said in an update on its campus alert Web site after midnight that the “shooter remains at large, police continue to search the campus,” and asked students to stay indoors until further notice.

At the campus, helicopters whirred overhead, and police cars were dotted through the streets. A crime scene was cordoned off, and at least one dog unit was on the scene.

The two incidents came as the area was already on edge following the bombings at the Boston Marathon on Monday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/us/explosives-detonated-in-massachusetts-standoff.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=1&

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/18/mit-police-officer-hit-gunfire-cambridge-police-dispatcher-says/4UeCClOVeLr8PHLvDa99zK/story.html

One suspect in custody, another remains on the loose

By Wesley Lowery, Akilah Johnson, Eric Moskowitz and Lisa Wangsness

| GLOBE STAFF

APRIL 19, 2013

WATERTOWN — One suspect in Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings has been captured, according to an official with knowledge of the investigation. Another remains on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with police. Authorities have established a 20-block perimeter as they search for him.

A scene of chaos descended on Cambridge and Watertown late Thursday night and early Friday morning, as police confirmed an MIT police officer was shot and killed, and an apparent carjacking led police on a wild chase into Watertown.

Witnesses in Watertown said they heard explosions. Police officers were screaming about improvised explosive devices.

Authorities would not comment on whether the events were connected to Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings. At least one of the suspects in Watertown appeared to be a man in his 20s.

FBI agents were on the scene in Watertown.

“We are aware of the situation, we are being involved, and we are monitoring,” said an FBI representative who requested anonymity because of not being authorized to speak publicly. The FBI source said early Friday it is “too early to speculate” on a relation to the Marathon bombing.

Dozens of police officers descended on Watertown Square after midnight.

“This is still extremely dangerous,” an FBI agent said. The Cambridge bomb squad arrived in Watertown shortly after 1:30 a.m.

A man in handcuffs was being questioned by the FBI in the back of an ambulance.

At Arsenal Court and Arsenal Street in Watertown, an officer bellowed: “Ya gotta get outta here. There’s an active shooter here with an active explosive. Go!”

Peter Jennings, 33, said he was sleeping just before 1 a.m. in his home on Prentiss Street in Watertown when he was awakened by a huge boom.

“It sounded like a stick of dynamite went off,” he said. “I looked out the window, and it was like nothing I’ve ever seen – blue light after blue light after blue light.”

He said more than three dozen emergency vehicles with sirens blaring were heading down Rt. 16 West. He went to the end of his street, where some neighbors were gathering. The air, he said, smelled like “at the end of a fireworks show, like a wick smell.”

“I had a bad feeling because of what happened on Monday,” he said.

John Antonucci’s 79-year-old mother called him hysterical from her home in Laurel Street. She heard about five gun shots and didn’t know what to do.

“She was saying they’re running down the street shooting,” Antonucci said standing outside if yellow police tape. “She was crying so hard I couldn’t understand what she was talking about.”

So he told her: Stay inside the house.

Residents describe the neighborhood as safe and family oriented, where they leave open doors and windows and feed stray cats.

Standing on the corner of Quincy and Nichols as police officers hastily strung up caution tape, Lindsay Gaylord, 25, and Collin Ausfeld, 26, peered over the scene to get a glimpse of their apartment about a block away on Dartmouth Street.

“I was buying ice cream right there” -- Gaylord pointed to a structure a few steps away, behind the caution tape “just this afternoon.”

Ausfeld stared at the crime scene in front of him, trying to make sense of what he was seeing. As an afterthought, he muttered, “I hope the apartment doesn’t blow up.”

The couple said they moved to the neighborhood in January, leaving behind their Belmont place, because Watertown was closer to the city, and their block was quiet, safe, and friendly.

“After this, I still feel safe on this street,” Gaylord said. “I mean, you just never know with these things.”

Adam Healy, 31, said he stepped outside for a cigarette near one of the shooting scenes in Watertown, when he heard gunfire.

“I just heard tons of gunshots,” he said. “Gunshot, gunshot, gunshot, gunshot. Then I saw an explosion and saw a burst of light in the sky.”

Imran Saif, a cab driver, was parking his car for the night near Dexter and School streets and was preparing to bike home from Cambridge when he heard a series of loud noises that he said “sounded like fireworks.” He said he biked toward the sounds, thinking they fireworks, when people in nearby houses began waving him back, telling him it was gunfire.

“It just sounded like there was automatic weapons going off, and I heard a few explosions,” he said. “They sounded like fireworks, mostly, big fireworks going off -- tons, I’d say. I’m really scared. When I found out it was gunshots, that just knocked the wind out of me.”

Police were demanding that cellphones be turned off.

The MIT officer, who has not been identified, was shot multiple times at 10:48 p.m., according to the Middlesex district attorney’s office. No one else was hurt, and no ­arrests had been made by early Friday.

The manhunt fanned out from ­Kendall Square over an area that has endured a tragic and tumultuous week, in the aftermath of the fatal explosions at Monday’s Boston Marathon. There was no report of a connection between the two events, but the swarm of sirens and circling helicopters rattled a region already on edge.

Police from several agencies were conducting a manhunt for the gunman across the school campus and on the T’s Red Line, according to authorities.

MIT and Cambridge police responded to a report of shots fired at 10:48 p.m. Thursday near Main and Vassar streets, according to the university.

Police officers and canine units swept the campus, and a big swath of Vassar Street was blocked.

The university issued an alert to students and faculty to remain inside.

An eerie quiet descended on the campus as teams of ­police officers combed the campus block by block. SWAT teams were present.

Police checked bushes and alleys and yanked on doors.

Officers from the MIT and Harvard departments, as well as Cambridge and State Police, were present.

Siddhartha Varshney was walking home from dinner with two friends when they were stopped at the police cordon.

“Initially, we thought they had caught the suspect in the bombing,” the 28-year-old said. But they then learned it was a shooting involving an MIT officer.

“Well, I — honestly — I mean, I can’t think what I make of it. The situation is a little tense,” he said. “And I hope that whoever he is gets caught.”

Few seemed to be out on the campus at the time of the shooting. One professor, standing feet from the police tape, said he came out of his office when he heard a commotion of sirens and saw police lights.

At around midnight, a frantic scene was unfolding at Massachusetts General Hospital, where a dozen police cars arrived with sirens on and several women were brought in by police, looking deeply ­upset.

Archived