The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boston bombing thread. Please keep all talk here.

DonLever

To sum up...

WATERTOWN — The man that police believe is responsible for placing the bombs that struck the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing 3 and injuring more than 170, is in custody after a standoff lasting nearly two hours in Watertown.

Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, was taken into custody shortly before 8:45 p.m.

“They got him. He’s in custody,” a state trooper told the media gathered in the neighborhood. A crowd of onlookers broke into applause.

Tsarnaev had been pinned down in a boat in the backyard of a home in Watertown, just outside the city. He was rushed to a local hospital.

Officers are acting with caution because they remain concerned that the suspect might be wearing a suicide bomb vest, the source said.

The source said police had seen the suspect moving from a State Police helicopter flying over the scene.

A Globe photographer at the scene can hear police saying, “We know you’re in there. Come out on your own terms. Come out with your hands up.”

A Globe reporter saw police preparing a robot with a camera. Other Globe reporters at the scene heard numerous small popping sounds.

Neighbors said that police officers had told them the suspect was covered in blood. But as of about 8:30 p.m., about an hour and a half after the standoff had begun, another source said the suspect was still moving.

In yet another twist in a fast-breaking story, New Bedford police said this evening that three people had been taken into custody in their city as part of the bombing investigation.

New Bedford Police Lieutenant Robert Richard said his department assisted federal investigators in executing a search warrant at a home on Carriage Drive in New Bedford, about 10 minutes from the campus of the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth, where Tsarnaev was a student.

Richard said the FBI took two men and a woman into custody. “They appeared to be either fellow college students or fellow residents,” he said. Richard said Tsarnaev may have been affiliated with the home on Carriage Drive in some way – possibly having lived or visited the house.

Tsarnaev was located less than an hour after authorities announced that he had eluded a 19-hour search in Watertown by legions of heavily armed police. Tsarnaev had abandoned the car he was in and fled on foot.

Residents in the Franklin Street area described pandemonium outside their doors.

Lisa Bontempi said in a telephone interview, “There’s a lot of shooting. ... I’m really scared. I’ve got to go.”

“We’re seeing every officer rushing to the corner. We’ve heard gunshots. We’ve got cops in bulletproof vests and an ambulance is there, with someone carrying out a stretcher,’’ said Louise Harrison Lepera, another neighborhood resident.

“There’s a lot of cops outside,” said another resident, who declined to give her name. “Oh, my God, they’re just crouched down by the cars. But I heard a couple of pops, I’m not sure what they were exactly.”

Daniel Cantor, a resident of 84 Franklin Street, said he heard “a number of gunshots” in rapid succession just after 7:10 p.m.

He estimated it to be more than 30 gunshots but less than 50 to the west of his home, which is at 84 Franklin St., toward Washburn Street. “It was the kind that I did not want to be near,” Cantor said.

Cantor said he, his wife, and two kids were hiding under a bed when a reporter called just after 7:15 p.m.

Heavily armed police had been searching a 20-block area of Watertown since about 11 p.m. Thursday night.

Authorities say Tsarnaev is one of two suspects in the terror bombs that exploded near the Boston Marathon finish line Monday afternoon, killing three people and injuring more than 170.

The other suspect, Tsarnaev’s brother, was killed early this morning in a gun battle with police. An MIT police officer was also killed Thursday night and an MBTA Transit Police officer was seriously injured in a spasm of violence that shocked a region already reeling from the bomb attacks.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/18/mit-police-officer-hit-gunfire-cambridge-police-dispatcher-says/4UeCClOVeLr8PHLvDa99zK/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

To sum up...

WATERTOWN — The man that police believe is responsible for placing the bombs that struck the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing 3 and injuring more than 170, is in custody after a standoff lasting nearly two hours in Watertown.

Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, was taken into custody shortly before 8:45 p.m.

“They got him. He’s in custody,” a state trooper told the media gathered in the neighborhood. A crowd of onlookers broke into applause.

Tsarnaev had been pinned down in a boat in the backyard of a home in Watertown, just outside the city. He was rushed to a local hospital.

Officers are acting with caution because they remain concerned that the suspect might be wearing a suicide bomb vest, the source said.

The source said police had seen the suspect moving from a State Police helicopter flying over the scene.

A Globe photographer at the scene can hear police saying, “We know you’re in there. Come out on your own terms. Come out with your hands up.”

A Globe reporter saw police preparing a robot with a camera. Other Globe reporters at the scene heard numerous small popping sounds.

Neighbors said that police officers had told them the suspect was covered in blood. But as of about 8:30 p.m., about an hour and a half after the standoff had begun, another source said the suspect was still moving.

In yet another twist in a fast-breaking story, New Bedford police said this evening that three people had been taken into custody in their city as part of the bombing investigation.

New Bedford Police Lieutenant Robert Richard said his department assisted federal investigators in executing a search warrant at a home on Carriage Drive in New Bedford, about 10 minutes from the campus of the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth, where Tsarnaev was a student.

Richard said the FBI took two men and a woman into custody. “They appeared to be either fellow college students or fellow residents,” he said. Richard said Tsarnaev may have been affiliated with the home on Carriage Drive in some way – possibly having lived or visited the house.

Tsarnaev was located less than an hour after authorities announced that he had eluded a 19-hour search in Watertown by legions of heavily armed police. Tsarnaev had abandoned the car he was in and fled on foot.

Residents in the Franklin Street area described pandemonium outside their doors.

Lisa Bontempi said in a telephone interview, “There’s a lot of shooting. ... I’m really scared. I’ve got to go.”

“We’re seeing every officer rushing to the corner. We’ve heard gunshots. We’ve got cops in bulletproof vests and an ambulance is there, with someone carrying out a stretcher,’’ said Louise Harrison Lepera, another neighborhood resident.

“There’s a lot of cops outside,” said another resident, who declined to give her name. “Oh, my God, they’re just crouched down by the cars. But I heard a couple of pops, I’m not sure what they were exactly.”

Daniel Cantor, a resident of 84 Franklin Street, said he heard “a number of gunshots” in rapid succession just after 7:10 p.m.

He estimated it to be more than 30 gunshots but less than 50 to the west of his home, which is at 84 Franklin St., toward Washburn Street. “It was the kind that I did not want to be near,” Cantor said.

Cantor said he, his wife, and two kids were hiding under a bed when a reporter called just after 7:15 p.m.

Heavily armed police had been searching a 20-block area of Watertown since about 11 p.m. Thursday night.

Authorities say Tsarnaev is one of two suspects in the terror bombs that exploded near the Boston Marathon finish line Monday afternoon, killing three people and injuring more than 170.

The other suspect, Tsarnaev’s brother, was killed early this morning in a gun battle with police. An MIT police officer was also killed Thursday night and an MBTA Transit Police officer was seriously injured in a spasm of violence that shocked a region already reeling from the bomb attacks.

http://www.bostonglo..._campaign=sm_tw

<p>

<br />

<span style="color: #333333"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif"><span style="background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245)"><br />

<a href='https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><strong>The Boston Globe</strong> &rlm;<span style='font-size: 12px;'><strike>@</strike><strong>BostonGlobe</strong></span></a><a href='

class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>1m</a></span></span></span><span style="color: #333333"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif"><span style="background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245)"><br />

Tsarnaev going to Mount Auburn Hospital Cambridge, same hospital where Transit Police officer is recovering from gunshot wound.</span></span></span><br />

<span style="color: #333333"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif"><span style="background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245)"><br />

??? I thought that officer died of his wounds or was there another Transit Police officer wounded?</span></span></span><br />

On the three other suspects taken into custody a short while ago:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/18/mit-police-officer-hit-gunfire-cambridge-police-dispatcher-says/4UeCClOVeLr8PHLvDa99zK/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

And even more head shaking idiocy from the official Senate Twitter feed for United States Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina). YIKES

A US citizen committing crimes on US soil - sounds like a criminal to me.

Lindsey Graham@GrahamBlog10m

Now that the suspect is in custody, the last thing I want is for him to remain silent. #Boston

Lindsey Graham@GrahamBlog

10m

It is vital he be questioned for intelligence gathering purposes about possible future plots. #Boston

9m

We should be focused on preventing possible attacks over the coming hours and days. #Boston

8m

The least of my worries is a criminal trial which will likely be held years from now. #Boston

6m

The Law of War allows us to hold individual in this scenario as potential enemy combatant w/o Miranda warnings or appointment of counsel.

Lindsey Graham@GrahamBlog5m

The goal is to gather intelligence and protect our nation which is under threat from radical Islam. #Boston

5m

I hope the Obama Administration will seriously consider this option. #Boston

Is it a federal crime? I know federal authorities were involved, but wouldn't it necessarily fall under federal law unless he broke a federal law. The bombs were not made outside Boston, the guys were from Boston, they didn't cross state lines while performing the bombing, and the bombs were not dangerous to those outside the state at the time of the bombing. I just don't see how they've have juristiction.

I'm calling multiple life terms in prison. And I'd almost prefer to see him spend 60 years locked up. Preferably put to death shortly before his natural death would be ideal.

Archived