The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boston bombing thread. Please keep all talk here.

DonLever

CNN Anchor and Chief Washington Correspondent Jake Tapper@jaketapper

4m

DOJ: no Miranda rights to suspect now; govt invoking public safety exception to question him. High Value Detainee Interr. Grp will be used.

Interesting twist - maybe Graham is not as wacky as many claim.

In Canada this would not be possible as even invocation of the Emergency Measures Act (the successor to the War Measures Act invoked by Trudeau during the FLQ October Crisis) specifically continues the Charter even in time of war or any other emergency.

Emergencies Act

R.S.C., 1985, c. 22 (4th Supp.)

An Act to authorize the taking of special temporary measures to ensure safety and security during national emergencies and to amend other Acts in consequence thereof

Preamble

AND WHEREAS the Governor in Council, in taking such special temporary measures, would be subject to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Canadian Bill of Rights and must have regard to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, particularly with respect to those fundamental rights that are not to be limited or abridged even in a national emergency

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/E-4.5/FullText.html

Is it a federal crime? I know federal authorities were involved, but wouldn't it necessarily fall under federal law unless he broke a federal law. The bombs were not made outside Boston, the guys were from Boston, they didn't cross state lines while performing the bombing, and the bombs were not dangerous to those outside the state at the time of the bombing. I just don't see how they've have juristiction.

I'm calling multiple life terms in prison. And I'd almost prefer to see him spend 60 years locked up. Preferably put to death shortly before his natural death would be ideal.

Archived