Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Boston bombing thread. Please keep all talk here.

• Please log in to reply
1528 replies to this topic

#211 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

lots of self righteousness in this thread.........no one seems to make threads about the daily bombings and loss of limb and life at the hands of american weapons all over the world.

Obviously when something hits close to home, it's more prevalent here....it's nothing suspect or worth condemning. Nor is it anything to do with self righteousness, it's just how it is.

It's a current issue that's based "at home" so of course it'll make the news in a "breaking" way. It affects us and, sadly, that's how most people respond. But to diminish the capacity or magnitude of the event because "it happens elsewhere" is wrong. Do we ignore something currently going down in our backyard because we don't have daily reports of other similar world events posted?

Posted Image

#212 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

I don't see any problems with 'guessing' this the work of more Muslim extremists. That was my first thought. Secondly domestic terrorism however a bit sophisticated for that perhaps.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#213 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

I don't see any problems with 'guessing' this the work of more Muslim extremists. That was my first thought. Secondly domestic terrorism however a bit sophisticated for that perhaps.

What purpose does "guessing" serve? You work from the evidence to the conclusion. Not the other way around.
Posted Image

#214 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

? You think its fine for people to automatically assume that this is work of Muslims?

ahmet-maranki-kayisi-yagi.jpg

Previously known as CanucksRuleAll, CRA or Cantaloupe.

RIP RR, LB, PD. Forever in our hearts <3

#215 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

NBC News@NBCNews 1m
Law enforcement official confirms that one of two people killed in today's explosions was eight years old.

:sadno:

#216 trek

trek

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

CNN TV - 8 year old child among the fatalities...

#217 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

So completely baseless speculation. Given what we see on this forum, that is not surprising, I suppose.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#218 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'm just shocked and saddened to hear about this happening at the Boston Marathon. Prayers are with Boston and with all those injured.
Posted Image

#219 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,391 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

NBC News &rlm;@NBCNews 1m
Law enforcement official confirms that one of two people killed in today's explosions was eight years old.

that was it. That was my break point teared me up

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#220 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,408 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

not surprising, you're one of the biggest blowhard Islamophobes on this forum

121f1930-9c2f-4a76-81c7-d533bed290ba.jpg

#221 Wedge-tailed Eagle

Wedge-tailed Eagle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Thoughts are with everyone in Boston today. Tragic day for what FBI says is a terrorist attack at finish line of Boston Marathon.
Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for awesome sig

#222 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

"Special Ed" is right :picard:
I'd point out the many problems with "guessing" that it was Muslims without any evidence, but I'm sure my argument would fall on deaf ears.
And there are more than enough cases of domestic terrorism as sophisticated or even more sophisticated than this.

Edited by Jägermeister, 15 April 2013 - 03:41 PM.

Posted Image

#223 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

that was it. That was my break point teared me up

I broke that barrier a long time ago. Its hard not to cry.

#224 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

Saw this Facebook post by Paton Oswalt referenced in a TSN tweet and thought I'd share it here for anyone needing a dose of hope....

Boston. F*cking horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#225 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

And not people pushing their anti-American ideologies. Personally I support America and its fight against terrorism. Which is a far cry from attacking a marathon purposefully. People will spin it how they want I guess.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#226 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Seriously, can we all have an explanation as to why you think its okay to guess its Muslims?

#227 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,687 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

RIP victims of yet another vaguely-motivated senseless act of aggression.

During the Connecticut gun massacre i was quick to be misinformed via twitter. Not so willing to be as quickly misinformed this time.
Posted Image

#228 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

not surprising, you're one of the biggest blowhard Islamophobes on this forum

Yup because Islamic extremists have never ever purposefully attacked innocent civilians this day in age. Why would I have any reason to think they may have done it again.

#229 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Yup because Islamic extremists have never ever purposefully attacked innocent civilians this day in age. Why would I have any reason to think they may have done it again.

Innocent, until proven guilty. It's an important rule in our society. This could just as easily have been domestic terrorists, crazy people, or someone else entirely.

#230 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Seriously, can we all have an explanation as to why you think its okay to guess its Muslims?

Well actually my first guess was domestic terrorism. Until there were multiple bombs involved then my thought shifted to Islamic extremists. Just going by current events on who has gone out if their way to attack innocent people.

#231 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

While Massachusetts do not have the death penalty, under Federal Law, the bomber CAN get the death penalty. I hope he gets it.

#232 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Well actually my first guess was domestic terrorism. Until there were multiple bombs involved then my thought shifted to Islamic extremists. Just going by current events on who has gone out if their way to attack innocent people.

You're an idiot. I'm not even going to waste my time talking to you.

#233 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

No one will ever understand the mindset of people who do these kinds of things.

canucks141.png

#234 JS40

JS40

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

NBC News@NBCNews 1m

:(
Posted Image
Credit goes to -Vintage Canuck-

#235 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

Religious extremists don't represent that majority of religious people. Muslim extremists do not represent the majority of Muslims. A point many people don't think about.

So sad to hear of this today though. I still can't believe that people are actually capable and willing to do crap like this. How twisted does ones mind have to be? It's so shocking I can't even believe it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#236 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

wow, scary stuff. I think either North Korea or Al Qaeda

#237 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

POPULAR

You mean like those Muslims Adam Lanza, James Holmes, and Wade Michael Page? (Just for you I thought I should add that none of those men were Muslim)
I'm curious to hear what current events where innocent people have been killed in the US you have been hearing about?

Regardless, I'm sure for whatever faulty reasoning you have you have made up your mind that anything bad is a result of Muslims, and I'm really not inclined to waste any more time pointing out those flaws to you.

Edited by Jägermeister, 15 April 2013 - 03:55 PM.

Posted Image

#238 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Because it's stupid to guess anyway. Why do it? Especially when It could be other groups or individuals as well.
Posted Image

#239 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Innocent, until proven guilty. It's an important rule in our society. This could just as easily have been domestic terrorists, crazy people, or someone else entirely.

Yup that's true. I'm not saying 100% Islamic extremists but I sure wouldn't be surprised. They will target innocent civilians deliberately like this and try to kill as many as possible. Funny thing here are the anti-Americans comparing Islamic extremists to America. Yet I know who I would much rather give the nukes and weapons technology to.

#240 Believe-in-blue23

Believe-in-blue23

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

This is so sickening. What kind of sick person does this to innocent people? I send thoughts and prayers to all those affected.

Things are so chaotic in the States. There was that awful tradegy at Sandy Hook where 20 children and 8 adults were killed by a lunatic gunman, and now this....
What a sick world we live in.
Posted Image

Go Canucks Go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.