The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

trading Cory Schneider

I know there has been a lot of talk about trading Lui, and the difficulty finding a buyer because of his contract. We have an 'official' trade Luongo thread. How about a trade Schneider thread?

It think Cory is younger, slightly better now, and has a great contract. The problem is asset management. Here is my theory.

1) We trade Luongo and get virtually nothing for him, unless it include buyout salary back at us. So assuming we dont take on more salary, we can hope to get a second rounder and mid level prospect. Nonis already said no to his AHL Schrivens and 2 second rounders, so my offer is slightly less.

We have a 4 mil Schneider at age 27, but at age 29 he will want 7mil a year . This is even a bigger cap hit than luongo and there is no more loopholes anymore.

Worse, is when Luongo retires we have to still eat 1/2 his cap hit $2.6mil until he retires. The team we traded him to eats the other half.

2) We trade Schneider for a fine young entry level forward and some other piece, like a grinding tweener . My suggestion is Couturier and Simmonds from the flyers or some team willing to offer up some kind of similar value.

Then we have a 5.3mil Luongo until ust before he retires then trade him i to a team that wants the 1/2 cap hit . Luongos last 4 years are 3 mil then 1 mil . A team can pay that at the deadline to purchase the 2.6m cap hit.

I say Luongo 4 more years, Couturier , Simmonds, and then the 1/2 cap hit for the final 3 years is far more than Schneider and his 7 mil cap it starting in 2 years.

What do you guys think?

Please explain your theories. I like good debates.

I know there has been a lot of talk about trading Lui, and the difficulty finding a buyer because of his contract. We have an 'official' trade Luongo thread. How about a trade Schneider thread?

It think Cory is younger, slightly better now, and has a great contract. The problem is asset management. Here is my theory.

1) We trade Luongo and get virtually nothing for him, unless it include buyout salary back at us. So assuming we dont take on more salary, we can hope to get a second rounder and mid level prospect. Nonis already said no to his AHL Schrivens and 2 second rounders, so my offer is slightly less.

We have a 4 mil Schneider at age 27, but at age 29 he will want 7mil a year . This is even a bigger cap hit than luongo and there is no more loopholes anymore.

Worse, is when Luongo retires we have to still eat 1/2 his cap hit $2.6mil until he retires. The team we traded him to eats the other half.

2) We trade Schneider for a fine young entry level forward and some other piece, like a grinding tweener . My suggestion is Couturier and Simmonds from the flyers or some team willing to offer up some kind of similar value.

Then we have a 5.3mil Luongo until ust before he retires then trade him i to a team that wants the 1/2 cap hit . Luongos last 4 years are 3 mil then 1 mil . A team can pay that at the deadline to purchase the 2.6m cap hit.

I say Luongo 4 more years, Couturier , Simmonds, and then the 1/2 cap hit for the final 3 years is far more than Schneider and his 7 mil cap it starting in 2 years.

What do you guys think?

Im all for trading schneider

we need one of 2 things.

1. a true number one D- one of the handful in the league

Chara, Weber, Suter, Keith, Seabrook...

none of these guys are available

2. An unquestionable future star forward- my choice would be a centerman, but with the Canucks shortage of wingers in the system, I'd be totally cool with a star winger

ex: Giroux, E.Kane, strome +, B. Schenn,

I'd do

To PHI

Schneider

Ballard

McNally

To VAN

Schenn Brothers

or

Simmonds

Couturier

2nd

or

Giroux

To NYI

Schneider

Ballard

To VAN

Strome

Martin

2nd

Let's just say for the sake of arguement Luongo and Schneider are exactly equal as far as how well they play and what they can do for us.

Luongo gives us say 4 more years.

Schneider gives us 10 more years.

You trade Schneider you are taking an awful big risk we will have somebody of the same calibre to take over in 4 years. Before you say Lack is coming, just because Lack has done well in the AHL means nothing when it comes to making in the NHL. We've had plenty of other young goalies brought up through the system or that we have traded for that didn't pan out.

I don't know where you've been the whole time, but there was one. Even then, there have been any number of threads talking about moving Schneider instead of Luongo, both rumours, proposals, and just general discussion of the possibility.

Schneider is not going anywhere. Luongo's got lit up in 50% of playoff series here other than in his first year. That's a large enough sample size to be reasonably confident improvement isn't imminent.

No amount of extra offense can help us if our goalie turns into a sieve.

I really do think its the best for our long term future. Besides, Luongo can handle going on a cup run. He just did one. This time with a lot less wear and tear on his body.

For those who want to trade Lui, I would like to hear a reasonable explanation as to how it plays out in the future. I think its going to suck and Schneider is going to ask for 7 mil.

What do you guys think?

Archived