The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

trading Cory Schneider

I really do think its the best for our long term future. Besides, Luongo can handle going on a cup run. He just did one. This time with a lot less wear and tear on his body.

For those who want to trade Lui, I would like to hear a reasonable explanation as to how it plays out in the future. I think its going to suck and Schneider is going to ask for 7 mil.

Let's just say for the sake of arguement Luongo and Schneider are exactly equal as far as how well they play and what they can do for us.

Luongo gives us say 4 more years.

Schneider gives us 10 more years.

You trade Schneider you are taking an awful big risk we will have somebody of the same calibre to take over in 4 years. Before you say Lack is coming, just because Lack has done well in the AHL means nothing when it comes to making in the NHL. We've had plenty of other young goalies brought up through the system or that we have traded for that didn't pan out.

So if the options are buy-out Luongo and lose him for nothing or trade him for nothing just for the sake of trading him. or trade Schneider for something that will significantly improve our team, you would choose the former?

I'm glad you aren't our GM

Considering the fact that we should aim to win a Cup within the next 2 or 3 years and not in 5 or 6 years, we should keep Luongo. In 5 years, Schneider may still be playing well but oh boy is our defence going to suck, and our offence will be pathetic. There's honestly no point even trying once the Sedins are finished in 10.

This is why we should go all in NOW. Schneider gets us better return, and quite simply all we want to do is give our team the best chance to win a Cup.

Return for Schneider + Current Luongo play + Our current stars performance > Return for Luongo + Schneider peaking in 3 years + Our future team's performance

Possibly more importantly, we have Lack and Climie waiting in the wings. If we keep Schneider and trade Luongo, this whole debate will strike up again once Lack is NHL ready, which isn't too far off. However, with Luongo Lack is the perfect replacement in terms of age. Lack needs maybe 1 more solid year in the AHL, followed by a couple of years as a backup. That's 3 years away - perfect timing for replacing Luongo. Schneider on the otherhand will be hitting his prime in 3 years which is when ONCE AGAIN we'll have a starter goalie and an AHL star pushing for his position.

There is no guarantee whatsoever that Lack or whomever else in our farm will be an NHL caliber goaltender, you simply cannot count on that.

We have a sure-thing with Schneider for up to a decade if he's re-signed here, whereas with Luongo we know by history what he will provide in the playoffs. Hot and cold goaltending, the cold usually coming at the worst possible times.

Schneider should stay.

how's Schneider a sure-thing when this is really his first season playing majority of the game?? was Mason or Raycroft a sure thing when they won the calder? they both definitely have the skill.. but it never fully developed. Schneider have all the tools and potential.. but he's far from being a sure thing until he plays multiple 82 game seasons.

Let's just say for the sake of arguement Luongo and Schneider are exactly equal as far as how well they play and what they can do for us.

Luongo gives us say 4 more years.

Schneider gives us 10 more years.

You trade Schneider you are taking an awful big risk we will have somebody of the same calibre to take over in 4 years. Before you say Lack is coming, just because Lack has done well in the AHL means nothing when it comes to making in the NHL. We've had plenty of other young goalies brought up through the system or that we have traded for that didn't pan out.

After winning it all...

Flor gets: Schneids, Burrows, Edler Van: Bjustad, Gudbranson, Markstrom, 2014 1st rounder

-Burr will ALWAYS get the reff-hate. Love the guy, but...

-Gudbranson toughness/potential over Edler. He's what we need, in a RH d

-This would save 7 or 8 mill, next yr's cap

Also...

Philly gets: Luongo, Kesler, Ballard Van:Bryzgalov, Simmonds, Couturier, 2015 1st rounder

-After Schneids is gone, Philly jumps for this

-Sign derek Roy(don't waste as rental)

-Bjustad, Couturier, Simmonds, Kassian, Gudbranson...Sorry to our excellent older "core"-but I want a BIG, tough team.

Bryz, Markstrom, Lack, Cannata(someone will emerge as the answer)..Sometimes you gotta' sell high, & take a chance.

After winning it all...

Flor gets: Schneids, Burrows, Edler Van: Bjustad, Gudbranson, Markstrom, 2014 1st rounder

-Burr will ALWAYS get the reff-hate. Love the guy, but...

-Gudbranson toughness/potential over Edler. He's what we need, in a RH d

-This would save 7 or 8 mill, next yr's cap

Also...

Philly gets: Luongo, Kesler, Ballard Van:Bryzgalov, Simmonds, Couturier, 2015 1st rounder

-After Schneids is gone, Philly jumps for this

-Sign derek Roy(don't waste as rental)

-Bjustad, Couturier, Simmonds, Kassian, Gudbranson...Sorry to our excellent older "core"-but I want a BIG, tough team.

Bryz, Markstrom, Lack, Cannata(someone will emerge as the answer)..Sometimes you gotta' sell high, & take a chance.

Considering that Getzlaf and Perry re-signed for $8M with Anaheim...a #1 goalie would fetch around $6-7M on the open market I would think. You can't always count that everyone will give a discount to resign with their current team.

I read somewhere that with the salary cap going down...the elite will get their money. It's the middle pack (lower end) that will get squeezed out (ie. reduced salary).

Given the current situation...I'm all for trading Schneider as long as the return is good-great (not average). At least a young top 6 roster player, prospect, and 1st round pick.

Canucks will be rebuilding within a couple of years. To start, you need a good young goalie (Schneids) then you start to build a strong defensive corp. As you slide down the standings, you also pick up some higher draft picks and you build solid forward lines.

It makes no sense to trade one of the best young goalies in the league.

Why is everyone so high on Lack? its not like he's some young stud, he's 25 only 2 years younger then cory. If luongo plays another 5 years. Lack then takes over as a 30 year old? seriously give your head a shake. On top of that what makes everyone think he will be so good, because john garret has mentioned his name a few times. take a look what cory accomplished before he made the jump. now compare that to lack, wait what has lack accomplished? I'm not saying someday he wont be a NHL goalie but how can you have so much faith in someone with so little to show for it.

So tell me again why people think we should trade a young cheaper goalie who's already showing how good he can be in the NHL. Makes no sense to me.

Archived