141 replies to this topic

#61 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

What can I do about it? Can I walk out onto the front line and place flowers in rifle barrels? The US has long been "Billy Badass" and until someone of equal stature bitch slaps them one good time they will never stop sticking their nose into ther countries' business, they will never stop invading places under false pretenses

I will say though, if the US electoral system would just favor a free thinking candidate like Ron Paul for once, we would see what we all would love to see, a peaceful, non-expansionist, non-interventionist USA

#62 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

I will say though, if the US electoral system would just favor a free thinking candidate like Ron Paul for once, we would see what we all would love to see, a peaceful, non-expansionist, non-interventionist USA

We have seen that USA before and it doesn't necessarily mean world peace and far from it. But I agree it would be nice to not be involved in any conflicts for a long time.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#63 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

A Third-Party candidate would be ideal...there's no questioning that....the problem is that the two party system has been a fixture in American politics for so long there don't exist enough Progressives to make something like that happen, unfortunately. You mention genocide...the Americans are doing to the culture in Assyria, Mesopotamia exactly what the Christian crusaders did to the Pagans. Forcing their way of life, their culture...onto those who already have established a thriving and viable culture on their own. Using buzzwords like "liberate" when they really mean "assimilate". It's repulsive.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#64 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

But we`ve not seen that USA in the unipolar era of full spectrum domination.

Big difference, when you`re the only wargame in town.

#65 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

A Third-Party candidate would be ideal...there's no questioning that....the problem is that the two party system has been a fixture in American politics for so long there don't exist enough Progressives to make something like that happen, unfortunately. You mention genocide...the Americans are doing to the culture in Assyria, Mesopotamia exactly what the Christian crusaders did to the Pagans. Forcing their way of life, their culture...onto those who already have established a thriving and viable culture on their own. Using buzzwords like "liberate" when they really mean "assimilate". It's repulsive.

The Christian crusaders did that to their fellow eastern Christians during the Crusades well. When the crusades began, Christians were a majority in the middle. When they left a century later, they had become a much resented minority, all thanks to the crusades.

#66 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Ok, so the religion debate's getting out of hand for no good reason already. Good thing I was here in time for that.

So, just to be clear, every time a bombing of this magnitude happens anywhere in the world, you're ready to create a thread to discuss it and how terrible it is? Or are you only now deliberately pointing out the Iraq bombings just due to the coverage in Boston?

You've already said you overreacted a bit, and it's not that the thread is a bad idea, but consider your motives.

Everytime something tragic happens, no matter where it is, someone has made a thread about it. No one had made a thread about this, so I thought I should. I know a lot of people who have made facebook statuses and tweets saying they have their thoughts and prayers to everyone in Boston. Why not tell people to leave some for the people in Iraq? Is that a wrong thing for me to do?

Edited by CanucksRuleAll, 15 April 2013 - 06:34 PM.

ahmet-maranki-kayisi-yagi.jpg

Previously known as CanucksRuleAll, CRA or Cantaloupe.

RIP RR, LB, PD. Forever in our hearts <3

#67 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

they were a majority in the middle east, that is

#68 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Everytime something tragic happens, no matter where it is, someone has made a thread about it. No one had made a thread about this, so I thought I should. I know a lot of people who have made facebook statuses and tweets saying they have their thoughts and prayers to everyone in Boston. Why not tell people to leave some for the people in Iraq? Is that a wrong thing for me to do?

This tragic story doesn`t get near enough coverage in the MSM. Thanks for this thread.

#69 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

The Christian crusaders did that to their fellow eastern Christians during the Crusades well. When the crusades began, Christians were a majority in the middle. When they left a century later, they had become a much resented minority, all thanks to the crusades.

This doesn't surprise me at all as there are different denominations of Christianity in this country..in the southeast..mostly the southern baptists but to a lesser extent the Methodists are the same way...it's either their way or no way. You ask a Southern Baptist "well, what happens if someone believes in god, reads the bible..but is a methodist, or an episcopalian, or a presbyterian or a lutheran..and their answer is "they're going to hell"...because that particular denomination is convinced that ONLY southern baptists are saved, only they are secured a place in the allegorical heaven and they teach their kids to be intolerant of OTHER denominations as well. It's actually all very amusing to read about and to observe...kind of like watching apes at the zoo.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#70 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Most people don`t realize that there are still practicing Gnostics left in the world. Iraq had a population of the last Gnostics left in the world. 70,000 Sabian-Mandeans. They revere John the Baptist and have been around since Biblical times. They speak their own dialect of Aramaic, Mandaic. They are facing extinction due to the American war.

http://www.genocidew...nual_Report.pdf

http://www.mandaeanu...N_HMRG_015.html

#71 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

Most people don`t realize that there are still practicing Gnostics left in the world. Iraq had a population of the last Gnostics left in the world. 70,000 Sabian-Mandeans. They revere John the Baptist and have been around since Biblical times. They speak their own dialect of Aramaic, Mandaic. They are facing extinction due to the American war.

http://www.genocidew...nual_Report.pdf

http://www.mandaeanu...N_HMRG_015.html

"Biblical times" is a highly debatable point. If I were to assume that any of the historical "narratives" I'll call them just for clarity...have any authenticity about them, which I highly doubt by the way...but I digress again...then revering "John the Baptist" may actually mean something to me. As I genuinely believe that the bible is a collection of cute stories with a moral lesson...even if they are completely fabricated..like Aesop's fables...and as such highly doubt that "John the Baptist" ever actually lived. Gnostic means "knowing" or "to know"..from the root word "gnosis"...and since no one actually "knows" anything about any subject that religion deals with..what happens after death, whether or not there's a heaven or hell (highly implausible)..that actually means nothing to me either. Sorry. It's very sad that they are facing extinction, and APPALLING that it is because of the US's involvement..but I honestly don't care what happens to a group of religious adherents. I just don't.
Posted Image

#72 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Iraq`s ancient pagan Yezidi sect also faces extinction inj the aftermath of the US invasion.

http://www.brussells...02#.UWyv7LXxHSw

#73 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

"Biblical times" is a highly debatable point. If I were to assume that any of the historical "narratives" I'll call them just for clarity...have any authenticity about them, which I highly doubt by the way...but I digress again...then revering "John the Baptist" may actually mean something to me. As I genuinely believe that the bible is a collection of cute stories with a moral lesson...even if they are completely fabricated..like Aesop's fables...and as such highly doubt that "John the Baptist" ever actually lived. Gnostic means "knowing" or "to know"..from the root word "gnosis"...and since no one actually "knows" anything about any subject that religion deals with..what happens after death, whether or not there's a heaven or hell (highly implausible)..that actually means nothing to me either. Sorry. It's very sad that they are facing extinction, and APPALLING that it is because of the US's involvement..but I honestly don't care what happens to a group of religious adherents. I just don't.

Well the have recorded their own history. It`s all in writing. Think of Christians and Gnostics in terms of being the indigenous equivalent of our native Indians, the pre-Arab, pre_Islamic ancient peoples of the land, with their own pre-Arabic, pre-Islamic languages, customs, and beliefs. I`m sorry you hate people for their beliefs Hartnell, I really am.

Here is a link to the Assyrian Christian early history, The Chronicle of Arbela, beginning 104 AD, translated to English from Aramaic

http://www.humanitie...cleofArbela.pdf:

http://www.humanitie...cleofArbela.pdf

#74 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Well the have recorded their own history. It`s all in writing. Think of Christians and Gnostics in terms of being the indigenous equivalent of our native Indians, the pre-Arab, pre_Islamic ancient peoples of the land, with their own pre-Arabic, pre-Islamic languages, customs, and beliefs. I`m sorry you hate people for their beliefs Hartnell, I really am.

Here is a link to the Assyrian Christian early history, The Chronicle of Arbela, beginning 104 AD, translated to English from Aramaic

http://www.humanitie...cleofArbela.pdf:

http://www.humanitie...cleofArbela.pdf

Again...putting words in my mouth...I have NEVER used the word "hate". I don't "hate" people because of their beliefs...I dislike the way the beliefs have been corrupted from their original philosophies into hate and fear mongering backed by greed and intolerance. That's what I "hate".
Posted Image

#75 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Sorry for my sloppy posts tonight-trying to watch the game over here.

#76 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

Again...putting words in my mouth...I have NEVER used the word "hate". I don't "hate" people because of their beliefs...I dislike the way the beliefs have been corrupted from their original philosophies into hate and fear mongering backed by greed and intolerance. That's what I "hate".

Well this is original Aramaic Christianity we`re discussing here, straight from the original source in the language of Jesus and his apostles.

#77 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

For example...I "hate" how a religion founded upon the teachings of the kindest, most gentle of men who supposedly ever lived has the audacity to intrude upon the lives of those whom they disagree with...whether it be marriage, abortion, etc...Religion needs to stay the hell out of everyone else's business. That's what the main problem is. I mean jesus h christ when Chick Fil-A starts spouting homophobic propaganda and politicizing food I have a MAJOR issue with that.
Posted Image

#78 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

But if your okay with the Kurds massacring the Assyrian Christians and driving them off of the Nineveh plains, where their ancestors have lived for 5,000 years under the watchful eye of the American army so that they can occupy their towns and villages and use their ancient churches, some 1,800 years old, to house their livestock, well then.........

#79 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

But if your okay with the Kurds massacring the Assyrian Christians and driving them off of the Nineveh plains, where their ancestors have lived for 5,000 years under the watchful eye of the American army so that they can occupy their towns and villages and use their ancient churches, some 1,800 years old, to house their livestock, well then.........

When in the bloody HELL did I say I was OK with that? Point it out...SHOW me where I said that...or STOP putting words in my mouth...it's INFURIATING.
Posted Image

#80 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,745 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

We should first stop labelling them as "Terrorists", and calling them what they really are. Murderers.

People that do this are the most extreme cowards.

Nothing justifies killing innocent people.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#81 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Sorry Hartnell, I got your message. I'm sorry man, I really am. This is a very sensitive topic for me. I am a student of Mesopotamian history and have become very attached to some of these ancient cultures. That the British, and then the American strategy has seemingly, since the 19th century, been to wipe them out makes my blood boil. The strategy is now being employed by Obama in Syria with his support of the Jihadists,

I'm quitting this thread before I go on a ten page history tangent.

#82 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

This is my last comment to you on this subject keke. I sent you a PM detailing my perspective on this, I was very clear, I was very respectful. You on the other hand have spun my posts somehow translating my being indifferent to this particular situation because it involves religious extremists and the US sticking their nose where it doesn't belong and holy crap what ELSE is new. I already said on more than one occasion that the US shouldn't have been in Iraq in the first place yet you have the GALL to presume that because I'm not bawling my eyes out over the extinction of some archaic religious sect that I'm somehow ok with genocide. Un freaking believable. I'm indifferent to this because I can do NOTHING about this. That sentence does not translate to "Oh yeah buddy I'm all in favor of genocide...paging Dr. Mengele". Give me a break.
Posted Image

#83 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

May God help the innocent victims and families of those in Boston, Iraq, and everywhere else. Sometimes you just get sad over the state of the world... at least there is still some good but it's a tough world especially for those who've felt the affects of bombings such as the ones that happened today.
Posted Image

#84 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

And Keke taps out!

#85 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,951 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'd say it's debatable with all the events like this in the world that someone creates a thread about it here to discuss it. Consider gun violence as a further example: how many threads were getting created round gun violence in the US in the last several months? I would doubt the combined total of threads from other areas of the world on gun violence, bombings, war, rape/violence against women matched the total of US gun violence threads.

Is that wrong? Unfortunate, maybe. Wrong, no - but that's not my point, To say people have to pay attention to this at least equally as much as a bombing closer to home is wishful thinking.

Like I already mentioned, you've said you overreacted to at least some responses and there's nothing wrong with the idea of this thread, I only questioned the motivation for posting it.

Edited by elvis15, 15 April 2013 - 07:41 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#86 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

I don't need google "buddy". Reilgion is on its way out...and I won't be missing it when it is. It's nothing more than a nuisance that obstructs any kind of other business. Incidentally...I find it ironic you mention the Catholics..tell me.."buddy"..if jesus were alive today...do you honestly think he'd be living in anything that even REMOTELY resembles the Vatican? Oh yeah...and you can go right ahead and support an organization that harbors and shelters pedophiles if you like...I find it reprehensible.

just gonna comment one thing about the pedophile excuse because i saw that coming from a mile away before you replied, people like you love to use that excuse. so tell me, where in the bible does it say that's its ok to be a pedophile? also based on your opinion its only those scary catholics who like to be pedophiles, we all know that non catholics are angels without sins right?

p.s. if you're so upset about the vatican "sheltering" pedophiles maybe, just maybe you shouldn't direct your frustration at it but instead on the police. vatican doesn't run prisons.

Edited by мцт вяздк чф, 15 April 2013 - 08:02 PM.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#87 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

just gonna comment one thing about the pedophile excuse because i saw that coming from a mile away before you posted, people like you love to use that excuse. so tell me, where in the bible does it say that's its ok to be a pedophile? also based on your opinion its only those scary catholics who like to be pedophiles, we all know that non catholics are angels without sins right?

p.s. if you're so upset about the vatican "sheltering" pedophiles maybe, just maybe you shouldn't direct your frustration at it but instead on the authorities / police. vatican doesn't run prisons.

the "pedophile excuse"? Really? That's even more reprehensible because it actually sounds like you're DEFENDING it. I believe my frustration is directed at PRECISELY the right place, thanks. Based on MY opinion...all religions are bull****. I could give two craps what the bible says, so you're barking up the wrong tree on that.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 15 April 2013 - 08:05 PM.

Posted Image

#88 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

the "pedophile excuse"? Really? That's even more reprehensible because it actually sounds like you're DEFENDING it. I believe my frustration is directed at PRECISELY the right place, thanks.

you're grasping at straws. i'm not defending anything. if my kid got raped by a priest, i wouldn't blame the vatican /church. i would call the police, kapisch?

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#89 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

you're grasping at straws. i'm not defending anything. if my kid got raped by a priest, i wouldn't blame the vatican /church. i would call the police, kapisch?

No...I'm actually not. You're the one trying to "justify" this reprehensible behavior by asking "what does the bible say about it" or inferring that I think non catholics are angels without sin..well since "sin" was an invention of the Catholic church in the first place...and it's "capisce"...not kapisch. Capisce?

PS: I'm nonreligious...so **** what the bible says about it.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 15 April 2013 - 08:30 PM.

Posted Image

#90 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

For the record...if my kid got raped by a priest...I'd be murdering a priest...I wouldn't be calling the police who likely would take the side of the church to start with.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.