The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comforting

Drew1

Hey does anyone else feel like Shorty and Garrett are comforting. When the playoffs come they dont call the games, Jim Hughson does (He is amazing too, incredible voice) but I love Shorty and Garrett , they are always funny and My mom the other day said hey how come the announcer is different (We were playing on HNIC) she said she likes our guys , but yeah they are awesome , so smooth , just like Vin Scully. One last quesiton, does anyone know why we play our playoff games on channel 3 ?

Hughson is awesome, obviously.

Garrett and Shorty are obvious homers... but considering the geography of most Canucks fans, it makes sense. At the same time as being homers, however, they still make opponent's goals exciting and praise good hockey for good hockey. They aren't like some announcer pairs that literally don't acknowledge opponents goals, and blatantly think every call against 'their' team is a bad call and every time an opponent does anything its a bad play.

CBC has first rights to any Canadian team series. If there's more than one Canadian series in the same day and time slot CBC has first choice of which series they cover. TSN gets US match-ups and Canadian series CBC decides not to cover. CBC also has sole Canadian rights to the east and west finals and the SCF.

SportsNet doesn't get playoff games because they are regional broadcasters, not national like CBC and TSN.

Of course we as Canuck fans like hearing biased/homer viewpoints that we get from Shorty/Cheech. After all, Larcheid was let go due to his "unfavourable" viewpoints.

If this is the type of broadcast your used to, of course a neutral broadcast that gives information that maybe you don't want to hear about your team (albeit true) will not be of preference.

I happen to liket he CBC/TSN broadcasts that give a more honest take on the team good or bad.

Garret has an excellent eye for the game, I find myself paying attention to what he has to say and he generally picks a good time to say it (not blathering on ignoring the current on-ice action). Shorthouse is a great play by play...he comes across as pro canuck but not totally biased (Garrent strikes me as the least biased of the two). Honestly (Hughson aside) I cannot stand any other commentators I find them distracting from the game and I often wonder if they are even paying attention to it but perhaps they just don't have the eye for it that these 2 do.

Archived