The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

23 goals in the past 6 games among encouraging signs

Sixteen W's

Your friggen negativity is the essence of all that is wrong with so called Canuck Fans. To crticize is one thing but to constantly have zero faith in this team is ridiculous. Why be a fan at all? why watch the games if your in depth analysis is so spot on that they don't have any hope against decent teams? Would you rather they be losing to non-playoff teams? The Canucks didn't choose their schedule.

As been pointed out the Canucks only have a .500 record against playoff teams... you know what? That means playoff teams only have .500 record against the Canucks. While the Canucks have been a lot less fortunate than other teams when its come to injuries.

God your negativity is not just tiresome its boring... go cheer for the leafs or something... As usual its all the Coaches fault for the team not winning how YOU think they should win. You self-loathing Canuck fans are pathetic.

You think AV told Weise, Lappy or Ebbett to out dangle the opposition in the Neutral zone? Give me a break... sometimes players just play poorly no matter what the coach tells them to do.

Oh and as for your comment about Burrow's being the Best and Smartest Canuck... Garrett only said that exact same thing about 40 times.. your thoughts are very original.

I know exactly why you are even if you don't, you criticize and put the Canucks play down so if they do end up dissapointing you again like they have in previous years you can say I told you so... but should they win you can also say... see I was a Canuck fan all along.

Damn give the Canucks (all of them including the coaches) some friggin respect, lesser teams or this team with a lesser coach would have been out of the playoff hunt a long time ago.

I believe Boudrias was only reiterating what Burrows was saying.

Either way, Boudrias is correct in his/her analysis. I don't see negativity.

I'd be willing to bet that last nights game is a loss against either opponent we face in our last three games based on the second period now show and some bad defensive zone decisions.

The Canucks have outscored opponents 23-9 in the past 6 games, which is since the trade deadline.

It's incredible how much better we are healthy. Roy is making Gillis good with each game.

The Canucks have killed off 21 straight powerplays and scored 5 PPG in the past 6 games.

This is the same team that's been mostly terrible getting pucks in the net for much of the year.

We're still missing Higgins and Tanev, who happen to be key pieces to the team.

We also happen to have 2 elite goaltenders that AV finally switches between if one falters (unlike his stubborn past self).

I'm starting to get excited for this season's playoffs!

PS. Congrats to AV for coaching his 800th game or something. I thought I saw something during the game.

Solid stretch of keeping the ball rolling through the latter part of the home stand and 3 games into the road trip.

Contributions from all the lines and D-pairs (goals, slick passing, hits, drawing penalties (not so much the giveaways here and there...)) is a pleasant sight.

Love how the powerplay is keeping it more simple: gaining the line, pushing the pace, bombs from the point, the little things that made our powerplay a success in the past.

Play the Blues with confidence (and no sloppy second period) and all should go well.

Non-playoff teams and not doing well at that. Nashville had 6 rookies playing last night.

Burrows post game interview: My pick as the best and smartest Canuck. Garrett was talking about Burrows last night. Fans almost take this guy for granted. His post game interview pretty much nailed the Vancouver problems going into playoffs. Puck turnovers in the neutral zone which was putting to much pressure on the d-core and goaltending. He talked about getting the puck in deep and expanding the gap as they forced the Nashville defenders back towards their blue line. I have often wondered if the Twin's style of game influences teammates to over handle the puck and minimize physical play. I don't want Weise, Lappy, Ebbett making moves in the neutral zone in an effort to maintain puck possession. Burrows talked about lack of attention to detail on the ice. It smacks of poor coaching IMHO.

As suggested above the games against the Blues and Hawks and to a lessor degree the Wings will/should expose Canuck problems. I did not see a lot of positives in the Nashville game.

I believe Boudrias was only reiterating what Burrows was saying.

Either way, Boudrias is correct in his/her analysis. I don't see negativity.

I'd be willing to bet that last nights game is a loss against either opponent we face in our last three games based on the second period now show and some bad defensive zone decisions.

Non-playoff teams and not doing well at that. Nashville had 6 rookies playing last night.

Burrows post game interview: My pick as the best and smartest Canuck. Garrett was talking about Burrows last night. Fans almost take this guy for granted. His post game interview pretty much nailed the Vancouver problems going into playoffs. Puck turnovers in the neutral zone which was putting to much pressure on the d-core and goaltending. He talked about getting the puck in deep and expanding the gap as they forced the Nashville defenders back towards their blue line. I have often wondered if the Twin's style of game influences teammates to over handle the puck and minimize physical play. I don't want Weise, Lappy, Ebbett making moves in the neutral zone in an effort to maintain puck possession. Burrows talked about lack of attention to detail on the ice. It smacks of poor coaching IMHO.

As suggested above the games against the Blues and Hawks and to a lessor degree the Wings will/should expose Canuck problems. I did not see a lot of positives in the Nashville game.

I very much agree here. Realistically, every player, or every set of players should have a defined role. It doesn't make sense for the entire team to play the same system when it doesn't suit certain players' strengths. As you said, Weise, Lapierre, Ebbett, etc should not be playing the same type of game the Sedins do. Cycle on the forecheck? Sure. Puck possession? Maybe not quite.

Roy has displayed a fantastic and much needed ability to make plays off the rush. So play him with Kesler and Raymond, and geth them playing the Rush.

There are only a few players on this team who are actually variable - Hansen, Burrows, Kesler - who can play several different styles. A lot of players on this team are one-dimensional, yet they are different from one-another. This is a problem that AV has failed to address in any year other than the cup run. That year, each line had a different role. And it worked.

To me, it really just feels like the system has become too simple. The staff have gotten too lazy and comfortable.

EDIT: I'm glad Roy is fitting in with AV's system so well, though. It's definitely a major positive factor to look at.

The Burrows interview made so much sense that I commented. Any of the Cinderella fans that watched the 2nd period last night and later took comfort in the final score simply want to ignore what this team has been doing. Whichever team Van faces in the first round will pull the LA game tapes from last spring to devise a game plan. Two man deep physical forecheck combined with the third man high = Van in trouble. How do the Van d-core make the quick breakout pass when they are fighting for the puck almost every shift. The idea of Ballard and Alberts hanging onto the puck to make an extra move or even turn back into the zone to maintain possession is scary and confusing to forwards who think about puck support. Last night Lappy thru the puck back after Ballard left for a shift change. Playoff hockey is usually making the safe play. Burrows made the point about shooting the puck in and increasing the gap. Made a dif. My criticism of coaching is the apparent inability to change attacks on a consistant basis.

Some other poster was yapping about being to negative. When I see what I perceive as negative aspects to the Canucks I comment on them. Not apologizing for that, I thought that was being a fan. As I see it this year's club will have a tough time getting past the 2nd round let alone the 1st. If they pull it together great! We really miss Manny on this club.

The Canucks are playing really well since we have Kesler back and Roy, great center depth now compared to a month ago. Still, that doesn't stop all the negative BS that people go on about, which is a shame. It'd be nice if people could just enjoy the hockey and root for the team, we're in good shape here and there's not one team in the west that scares me except maybe Detroit...and that can change if we answer back with a win on Saturday.

The Burrows interview made so much sense that I commented. Any of the Cinderella fans that watched the 2nd period last night and later took comfort in the final score simply want to ignore what this team has been doing. Whichever team Van faces in the first round will pull the LA game tapes from last spring to devise a game plan. Two man deep physical forecheck combined with the third man high = Van in trouble. How do the Van d-core make the quick breakout pass when they are fighting for the puck almost every shift. The idea of Ballard and Alberts hanging onto the puck to make an extra move or even turn back into the zone to maintain possession is scary and confusing to forwards who think about puck support. Last night Lappy thru the puck back after Ballard left for a shift change. Playoff hockey is usually making the safe play. Burrows made the point about shooting the puck in and increasing the gap. Made a dif. My criticism of coaching is the apparent inability to change attacks on a consistant basis.

Some other poster was yapping about being to negative. When I see what I perceive as negative aspects to the Canucks I comment on them. Not apologizing for that, I thought that was being a fan. As I see it this year's club will have a tough time getting past the 2nd round let alone the 1st. If they pull it together great! We really miss Manny on this club.

Guess what genuis? Every team will have a hard time making it past the 1st or 2nd round that is why only 1/4 of the teams are left that start the playoffs entering the third round :picard: . So you regurgitated what Burrows said and agreed with him... do you not think that logic is coming from the coaching staff, perhaps that is what they are telling their players to do? Grab a clue.

I'm sorry I missed the part where Burrows said the turnovers were a result of poor coaching... he/she is not reiterating what Burrows was saying but speculating just as you are doing that if it was a different opponent that it would have been a loss. I don't accept that in the slightest... yes there were some bad defensive zone decisions but often times people will adjust their play according to the level of competition from their opponent (shouldn't be the case but often is). Anyone who has played competative sports is guilty of this... if you have played then you know exactly what I'm talking about... Higher the competition skill level the higher the compete level and vice versa. So saying they would have lost if it was someone different is just a guess at best.

I think what most of you couch jockey's forget is that there is another highly paid professional hockey team on the other side of the rink trying their damnest to win just as much as the Canucks. Also that the Parity in this league is higher than it has been in the history of the NHL and that there is not easy game/period/shift. Yes you can get burned in a period but ultimately if you have more goals than the opposition when that clock counts down that is what the game is all about... not who out shot who in the second or who had the most scoring chances or hits or faceoffs of blocked shots or whatever... the final score is all that matters and to constantly improve on those areas that were a deficency that either led to a loss or could have led to a loss.

As long as the Canucks are winning and working on what they can improve on then we as observers don't have Jack to complain about. Just watch and enjoy the games and if you can't even do that, then you (not just you but anyone else) is in no position to criticize this team in the slightest.

Did it ever occur to you that he is pointing out a simple thought that there still happen to be holes in the way the team plays?

Did you ever consider that if players on this team -- or, according to you, it's coming straight down from the coaching staff -- recognize that there is work to be done and there are doubts in their minds? And that for a fan of this team to recognize that is not negativity on his behalf, but a recognition of negativity that already exists?

The fact that he is regurgitating it is meaningless. That's all a forum is! ESPECIALLY this one!

Get your panties out of a bunch. Everyone here knows that every team that makes the play-offs has a chance to win the cup -- and everyone knows that any team can be eliminated in any given series. Nothing is a sure thing. The reason he is saying anything at all is because there are so many tunnel vision fans around here that seem to be completely blind.

The fact that you are chastising him for being realistic is an embarrassment.

The Canucks are NOT improving in the aspect to which Burrows was mostly referring to, which was the second period. It's the running issue of not playing a full game of hockey. This burned the Canucks in the Play-offs last year, and it'll happen again if they don't deal with it. The reason people talk about it is because it IS an issue. If an game was played like this here and there, people would say "next game please". But when it's basically every game in over a year, you start to get worried -- even more so when nothing is changing in that regard.

Ironic... you're panties are in such a twist there is no untangling them.... Stop bitching and whining, it's pathetic and tiresome. His posts just like yours lack anything that could possibly be construed as constructive.

My guess is neither of you have even played a game of pickup hockey in your lives... yet somehow sitting on a couch watching games on TV gives you guys the right to criticize every aspect of the Canucks play and the Coaching tactics.

Archived