Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Why we need these guys come the playoffs.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

From last night's little fracas.

Kass. He doesn't take crap from anyone including goalies and big bully defenders.

Alberts showed all we want to see when it comes to sticking up for his team mates. Ok, outlet pass sometimes a wee bit shaky but am I the only one who thinks he is coming onto a game at the right time? I know we all prefer Tanev but honestly I could not see CT jumping on Weber like that.

Ballard, for me is never found wanting when it comes to bracing the opposition and he too was straight in there.

Lappy is an enigma. He seems to get better as the playoffs approach and he too is not one to stand around when things kick off......and proved it again last night.

Generally.

Weise is always willing and while he is not great in a scrap, I am talking about "team reaction" to one of our players being picked on and I think Weise would be straight in.
Similarly Pinizzotto and Sestito.

Of the players who are probably certain to play, things get a bit more critical. No lack of toughness but few who are willing to wade in.

Kes was quick to react to the Pred who put Hansen (?) on his butt. I have no fears over a fit Kesler stepping up.

Bieksa. Has looked a bit under the weather in the last 6-10 games for me. I don't know but I get the impression that Bieksa needs the release valve of a pugilistic bout now and again and he doesn't seem happy holding it all in. I have no fears over Bieksa in the playoffs though, he always steps in for his team mates.

Edy showed some push back last night and I wish he would let rip now and again. I think he would do well to lose his temper just to gain some respect from the opposition.

Garrison is a big guy and we have seen past evidence of coming to the rescue (was it when Edy floored the goalie and was being set upon?) So I think we can count on him.

I think Hammer is like Edler and he could be counted on in a limited way.

Burrows has the heart of a lion and if only he was 30lbs heavier he would be a nightmare for defences but we can always count on him.

Hansen, Higgins and Booth are all able to jump in and Hansen seems to have a bit of a temper, I like that (reminds me of Ehrhoff)

The rest are bookends but then every team has some of them (maybe not Boston or NYR) so all in all I think we showed last night and from what we know already about some of the players, we have a set of individuals in this team who will not be pushed around.

Amen to that brother.
Kevin.jpg

#2 ZephyrsSong

ZephyrsSong

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

All that plus less injury scares like what Roy and Hansen gave us would ease me as well. No more injuries, please.

#3 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,936 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

I agree with most of it.

Although I don't think Weise brings much, if anything to the table. Too much depth for him anyways IMO.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Roy - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond- Ebbett - Kassian
Higgins - Lapierre - Pinnizotto

I honestly think Booth has played his last game as a Canuck.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#4 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

I think Bieksa is still injured, IMO. I would rest him until round 1 if that was the case.

#5 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

I think Bieksa is still injured, IMO. I would rest him until round 1 if that was the case.

I think you may be right.
There is definitely something distracting him. I said last week it was either an injury or maybe something personal. Whatever it is he needs to either get some time off or have a couple of barnys to ease the tension.
Of course it could be something as simple as not playing with Hamhuis.
Kevin.jpg

#6 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,487 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

I agree with most of it.

Although I don't think Weise brings much, if anything to the table. Too much depth for him anyways IMO.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Roy - Kesler - Hansen

Wish we still had Manny in the line-up, would of looked so much better and face-offs are so key in the p/o. either way GCG!

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#7 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

I missed the game, but saw the goal highlights.. anyone know of a video of the roughing at the end?

#8 PlayoffHockey

PlayoffHockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Bieksa looks mind checked out there, maybe still injured but seems way off, like his mind is elsewhere, depressed.

I agree with most of it.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Roy - Kesler - Hansen

Ebbett an AHLer. rather have psycho Vandermeer as a fourth liner.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Roy-Hansen
Vandermeer-Lapierre-Sestito/Weise/Pinizzotto

Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Barker/Alberts-Tanev
Posted ImagePosted Image

"I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I knew nothing about NHL GL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago. I was unattached to any team when I first started watching although I could easily have gone for the Philadelphia Flyers as my home team which I supported in my youth and for 20 years was the Fife Flyers."
~ Bodee

http://forum.canucks...me/page__st__30

#9 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

He's quietly developed into one of our best PK'ers.

#10 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I want to have a bigger lineup come playoffs that is why i propose
Sedins-Burrows
Hansen-Roy-Kesler
Higgins-Lapierre-Kassian/Raymond
Weise-Ebbett/Pinizotto-Kassian/Ramond

#11 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

he may have his critics, but Booth is a guy we could really use in the playoffs as a physical presence. Definitely not in the 'push back' department but a physical presence that can make life difficult for the opposing team. Here's hoping he can can re-hab and make an appearance.

BMW-Light-painting-b.jpg

#12 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

Manny, Higgins, Tanev, Booth....
we have a good team but good be even better if these guys were healthy and in.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

Booth is one of the better hitters on the team
Posted Image

#14 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

What really concerns me is third line center is Roy stays where he stays. Ebbett is no Roy with or with out the puck. He's not much of a face off guy.

Higgens needs to return. I know Gillis wanted to build this team with versatile players but I still think the middle is lacking that one player that brings that. Ebbett wasn't built for the play offs.

Also, Raymond needs to rebound a bit. If he's not bringing his speed, skill score game into the play offs he'll be another useless player. I hope not because we know what the guy can do built will his size be a factor?

Over all I do think they're tough enough, they just have to play smart enough and be committed to all aspects of the game, like all 3 periods.

#15 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,958 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I think you may be right.
There is definitely something distracting him. I said last week it was either an injury or maybe something personal. Whatever it is he needs to either get some time off or have a couple of barnys to ease the tension.
Of course it could be something as simple as not playing with Hamhuis.

He recently visited cdc for the first time to see what it was like. He's been clinically depressed since.

:emot-parrot:

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#16 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

What really concerns me is third line center is Roy stays where he stays. Ebbett is no Roy with or with out the puck. He's not much of a face off guy.

Higgens needs to return. I know Gillis wanted to build this team with versatile players but I still think the middle is lacking that one player that brings that. Ebbett wasn't built for the play offs.

Also, Raymond needs to rebound a bit. If he's not bringing his speed, skill score game into the play offs he'll be another useless player. I hope not because we know what the guy can do built will his size be a factor?

Over all I do think they're tough enough, they just have to play smart enough and be committed to all aspects of the game, like all 3 periods.

In defence of Raymond, he seems to be the current victim in all these shuffles. He has lost his feeder and Ebbett doesn't have the speed to keep up and neither does Kass.

He is being used to bolster a slow line but he still got a point from the game.

He was on for over 16 mins last night and his defence and forechecking needs to be good playing with these two on his line.

Edited by Bodee, 16 April 2013 - 11:06 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#17 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Agree with your list, I think the toughness issues have been dealt with (except Edler doesn't belong anywhere near this list, he provides zero pushback). What will save us or kill us in the post-season is how well the defence play in their own zone and whether or not we can break the puck out. Not worried about anything else.
Posted Image

#18 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Lappy has been all but useless for awhile. If he continue that trend I say stick him in the press box for a game just before the playoffs. Hopefully he will regain his "playoff form" that everybody here seems to think he has. I myself think his playoff game is somewhat overrated.

#19 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Lappy has been all but useless for awhile. If he continue that trend I say stick him in the press box for a game just before the playoffs. Hopefully he will regain his "playoff form" that everybody here seems to think he has. I myself think his playoff game is somewhat overrated.

Useless? Doesn't Lappy have 5 points in the last 3 games? IMO, Lappy is doing exactly what we need him to do. He plays solid defence, stands up for his teammates and chips in the occasional goal or two.

Sure, he has the occasional brain fart and coughs up the puck, but with the way the team is playing now I'm confident we can outscore the problem. I'm sure that Lappy game will only raise in the playoffs.

Also, if anyone's playoff form is overrated it's Kesler's "beast mode"

Edited by monkeydluffy, 16 April 2013 - 03:23 PM.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif

CDC Puck - Pittsburgh Penguins

#20 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Eddy is such a wildcard in that regard. Sometimes he's too quiet; but other moments, he shows unparalleled fire (re: squished Doughty). I wish he could show a little more consistency.

I hope Bieksa is okay. He has seemed off, lately. Although, he has always been rather mercurial.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#21 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

I missed the game, but saw the goal highlights.. anyone know of a video of the roughing at the end?

I can do you one better. Here's the whole game for ya bud

Check out this guy's channel he uploads complete Canucks games like half an hour after they're over... I already subscribed.

167nred.jpg

Credit goes to Vintage Canuck for making the sig and a thank you to Rounoush for renouncing his claim to use the sig

#22 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Alberts is NOT needed... The only thing he's got going for him is the big body. But the guy has ZERO hockey sense!

#23 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

We need Ryan Clowe in the playoffs, we didn't and couldn't get him, too bad.

#24 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,180 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

We need a guy like Booth if we want to go far in the playoffs. Easily our best powerforward, he hits as well as Kassian and has far more offensive upside, plus he takes the puck hard to the net which is how you score in the playoffs - not with pretty passing.

Alberts and Ballard really set the tone physically against St. Louis which was great to see, clearly Ballard needs to be woken up physically to play well. He was a force after that Backes hit, and that's what you need in the playoffs. I'd love to see this lineup for round 1, game 1:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Roy - Kassian
Pinizotto - Lapierre - Sestito/Weise/Ebbett

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Alberts - Ballard

Each 5 man unit has at least a couple of really big, physical guys. The 2nd line has Higgins/Kesler as their big hitters (Higgins is one of the best on the team), the 3rd line has Kassian to complement Roy's lack of size and Raymond's fragility, the 4th line can all stand up for themselves and even the 1st line would have one of Bieksa, Alberts or Edler/Garrison on the ice at any one time.

The key in the playoffs is balance RIGHT THROUGH THE LINEUP. There's no point just having big, skilled guys on your 1st line - every unit when on the ice needs to be able to do everything - that's score, play good defence and hit.
Posted Image

#25 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

Alberts is NOT needed... The only thing he's got going for him is the big body. But the guy has ZERO hockey sense!

Alberts has been under the skin of the other team last 2 games if he can pull off people like backes and weber he's high up in my books that's a great trade off 2 games in a row

#26 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

The main issue was and still is the Sedins. They don't have to fight or get into scrums or stuff like that, but they need to be able to overcome the physical play in the playoffs. They need to have a lot of puck possession and control the play, they can't be getting easily pushed off the puck and getting hemmed in their own zone.

ljfVQAn.jpg?1

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.