The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we need these guys come the playoffs.

Bodee

From last night's little fracas.

Kass. He doesn't take crap from anyone including goalies and big bully defenders.

Alberts showed all we want to see when it comes to sticking up for his team mates. Ok, outlet pass sometimes a wee bit shaky but am I the only one who thinks he is coming onto a game at the right time? I know we all prefer Tanev but honestly I could not see CT jumping on Weber like that.

Ballard, for me is never found wanting when it comes to bracing the opposition and he too was straight in there.

Lappy is an enigma. He seems to get better as the playoffs approach and he too is not one to stand around when things kick off......and proved it again last night.

Generally.

Weise is always willing and while he is not great in a scrap, I am talking about "team reaction" to one of our players being picked on and I think Weise would be straight in.

Similarly Pinizzotto and Sestito.

Of the players who are probably certain to play, things get a bit more critical. No lack of toughness but few who are willing to wade in.

Kes was quick to react to the Pred who put Hansen (?) on his butt. I have no fears over a fit Kesler stepping up.

Bieksa. Has looked a bit under the weather in the last 6-10 games for me. I don't know but I get the impression that Bieksa needs the release valve of a pugilistic bout now and again and he doesn't seem happy holding it all in. I have no fears over Bieksa in the playoffs though, he always steps in for his team mates.

Edy showed some push back last night and I wish he would let rip now and again. I think he would do well to lose his temper just to gain some respect from the opposition.

Garrison is a big guy and we have seen past evidence of coming to the rescue (was it when Edy floored the goalie and was being set upon?) So I think we can count on him.

I think Hammer is like Edler and he could be counted on in a limited way.

Burrows has the heart of a lion and if only he was 30lbs heavier he would be a nightmare for defences but we can always count on him.

Hansen, Higgins and Booth are all able to jump in and Hansen seems to have a bit of a temper, I like that (reminds me of Ehrhoff)

The rest are bookends but then every team has some of them (maybe not Boston or NYR) so all in all I think we showed last night and from what we know already about some of the players, we have a set of individuals in this team who will not be pushed around.

Amen to that brother.

I agree with most of it.

Although I don't think Weise brings much, if anything to the table. Too much depth for him anyways IMO.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Roy - Kesler - Hansen

Raymond- Ebbett - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Pinnizotto

I honestly think Booth has played his last game as a Canuck.

I agree with most of it.

Although I don't think Weise brings much, if anything to the table. Too much depth for him anyways IMO.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Roy - Kesler - Hansen

Bieksa looks mind checked out there, maybe still injured but seems way off, like his mind is elsewhere, depressed.

I agree with most of it.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Roy - Kesler - Hansen

he may have his critics, but Booth is a guy we could really use in the playoffs as a physical presence. Definitely not in the 'push back' department but a physical presence that can make life difficult for the opposing team. Here's hoping he can can re-hab and make an appearance.

What really concerns me is third line center is Roy stays where he stays. Ebbett is no Roy with or with out the puck. He's not much of a face off guy.

Higgens needs to return. I know Gillis wanted to build this team with versatile players but I still think the middle is lacking that one player that brings that. Ebbett wasn't built for the play offs.

Also, Raymond needs to rebound a bit. If he's not bringing his speed, skill score game into the play offs he'll be another useless player. I hope not because we know what the guy can do built will his size be a factor?

Over all I do think they're tough enough, they just have to play smart enough and be committed to all aspects of the game, like all 3 periods.

I think you may be right.

There is definitely something distracting him. I said last week it was either an injury or maybe something personal. Whatever it is he needs to either get some time off or have a couple of barnys to ease the tension.

Of course it could be something as simple as not playing with Hamhuis.

What really concerns me is third line center is Roy stays where he stays. Ebbett is no Roy with or with out the puck. He's not much of a face off guy.

Higgens needs to return. I know Gillis wanted to build this team with versatile players but I still think the middle is lacking that one player that brings that. Ebbett wasn't built for the play offs.

Also, Raymond needs to rebound a bit. If he's not bringing his speed, skill score game into the play offs he'll be another useless player. I hope not because we know what the guy can do built will his size be a factor?

Over all I do think they're tough enough, they just have to play smart enough and be committed to all aspects of the game, like all 3 periods.

Agree with your list, I think the toughness issues have been dealt with (except Edler doesn't belong anywhere near this list, he provides zero pushback). What will save us or kill us in the post-season is how well the defence play in their own zone and whether or not we can break the puck out. Not worried about anything else.

Lappy has been all but useless for awhile. If he continue that trend I say stick him in the press box for a game just before the playoffs. Hopefully he will regain his "playoff form" that everybody here seems to think he has. I myself think his playoff game is somewhat overrated.

Lappy has been all but useless for awhile. If he continue that trend I say stick him in the press box for a game just before the playoffs. Hopefully he will regain his "playoff form" that everybody here seems to think he has. I myself think his playoff game is somewhat overrated.

Eddy is such a wildcard in that regard. Sometimes he's too quiet; but other moments, he shows unparalleled fire (re: squished Doughty). I wish he could show a little more consistency.

I hope Bieksa is okay. He has seemed off, lately. Although, he has always been rather mercurial.

Archived