#1 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Detroit Red Wings@DetroitRedWings
It's Official: Red Wings sign goaltender Jimmy Howard to six-year deal.

It’s official: Detroit signs ‘workhorse’ Howard to six-year deal

It took a while, but the ink is finally dry.

On Tuesday, the Detroit Red Wings announced theyre-signed G Jimmy Howard to a six-year deal, one that will keep Howard in the Windy City until 2019.

Financial details have yet to be reported.

“Jimmy is one of our most valuable players who is entering the prime of his career,” Detroit GM Ken Holland said. “He gives a chance to win every night.

“He’s worked hard and become better every year. He’s a workhorse who can play the majority of the 82 games.”
Howard, 29, was rumored to be “very close” to agreeing to an extension with the Wings last week. TSN’s Aaron Ward reported the deal would be around $5.3 million annually.

Howard took over Detroit’s starting goalie gig in 2009-10, and hasn’t looked back.

The former University of Maine standout posted stellar numbers last season, achieving career highs in shutouts (six) and goals-against average (2.12) while posting 30-plus wins (35) for the third time in his career.

After a slow start this year, Howard has heated up. His numbers now sit at an impressive 17-12-6 with a .920 save percentage and 2.31 GAA. He also has three shutouts, two off the NHL lead.

With this new deal, Howard joins Johan Franzen, Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall as Wings secured through 2019.
It’s also worth noting that even with the salary cap going down to $64.3 million next season, the Red Wings would still have a healthy amount of flexibility going into the summer, according to CapGeek.

It'll be interesting to see if the $5.3M that was rumoured is what it actually is or if it's a little less.

EDIT: appears it is a $5.3M cap hit:

Jimmy Howard gets $31.8M deal

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings and goalie Jimmy Howard agreed to a $31.8 million, six-year contract Tuesday, keeping him off the market as a free agent this summer.

The 29-year-old Howard is in his fourth season as the Red Wings' top goalie.

"We're extremely pleased to have Jimmy under contract for the next six seasons," general manager Ken Holland said. "He's entering the prime of his career and over the last four years has gained a tremendous amount of regular season and postseason experience."

Howard is 17-12-6 with a 2.31 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage this season. Detroit is in a wild race for the final playoff spots in the Western Conference, hoping to extend their postseason streak to 22 years.

Howard was drafted by Detroit in the second round in 2003. In 2009-10, he went 37-15-10 with a 2.26 GAA, becoming the fourth goalie in team history to win at least 30 games as a rookie.

He went on to become the first Detroit goalie to win at least 35 games in each of his first three full seasons.

"He's developed into a top-tier NHL goaltender and is a very important part of our team moving forward," Holland said. "Jimmy is one of our leaders and we look forward to watching him elevate his game to the next level in a Red Wings' sweater."

After Monday's games, Detroit was tied for eighth in the West with Columbus, although the Red Wings have played one fewer game. Dallas was two points behind the Red Wings and Blue Jackets, with Phoenix another two back.

Howard's 2.38 GAA over the last four seasons ranks him 11th in the league in that span. What he has yet to do is lead the Red Wings on an extended postseason run. He's 13-15 with a 2.63 GAA in the playoffs, and Detroit hasn't made it past the second round since 2009.

Edited by elvis15, 16 April 2013 - 12:48 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2 votrechien

votrechien

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hmmm. Both him and Luongo getting paid the same, almost identical playoff stats:

Howard
SV% .915 GAA 2.63
SV% .916 GAA 2.53
No advertising please.

#3 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hmmm. Both him and Luongo getting paid the same, almost identical playoff stats:

Howard
SV% .915 GAA 2.63
SV% .916 GAA 2.53

5.3 cap hit for a six-year deal is not equal to a 5.3 cap hit for a 12-year deal. Big difference, I would say. And if that number is right, it suggests the goalie market has dropped, which isn't good for Lu.

#4 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Took them a while to finally make it official.

I think he's getting paid too much, but it's better than trying to find someone else. Solidifies their goaltending while they still have their vets.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#5 dildo_baggins

dildo_baggins

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

5.3 cap hit for a six-year deal is not equal to a 5.3 cap hit for a 12-year deal. Big difference, I would say. And if that number is right, it suggests the goalie market has dropped, which isn't good for Lu.

when howard's contact starts
5.3 for 6 Years

Luongo
5.3 for 9 years remaining (only plans to play 5-6 more years)

Edited by dildo_baggins, 16 April 2013 - 11:22 AM.

The Covino & Rich Show - Mon-Fri 9am-Noon Sirius 104 XM 139

#6 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

I believe some congratulations are in order...

....Because this is my 600th post!!!

#7 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

Jimmy gets rich
Posted Image

#8 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,573 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

I personally think he's getting paid too much. He's thriving under the a Detroit system, which a lot of goalies can look good under.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#9 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

5.3 for 6 Years

Luongo

Howard is a terrific goalie but when all is said and done he won't be even close to Lui

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#10 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

5.3 for 6 Years

Luongo

If Luongo retires before his contract ends, we're going to be hit with the 'Luongo Rule' clause from the new CBA. We'd be screwed.

14diqh3.jpg
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
"There is a time and place for everything but not now."

http://forum.canucks...a-bros-game-on/

#11 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

"On Tuesday, the Detroit Red Wings announced theyre-signed G Jimmy Howard to a six-year deal, one that will keep Howard in the WINDY CITY until 2019"

Thats funny. I was unaware Detroit was located in Chicago. The Detroit red wings of Chicago?

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#12 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

I believe some congratulations are in order...

....Because this is my 600th post!!!

Come back when you have 66 more...

I personally think he's getting paid too much. He's thriving under the a Detroit system, which a lot of goalies can look good under.

That's my thought, perhaps he's a guy worth $4-4.5M, but not over $5M. I suggested if they really thought he was worth that much in cap hit they could sign him for a 3 year increasing deal (4/4.5/5) and then see if he's worth the increase then, but I don't really know their reasoning - or even if it is a $5.3M cap hit.

If Luongo retires before his contract ends, we're going to be hit with the 'Luongo Rule' clause from the new CBA. We'd be screwed.

That's overrated on how much the penalty will be. Consider when he'll retire and how much the cap would be at that point and then consider the penalty would be an extra $1-2M on our cap for the remaining years. It's not that much to worry about in my opinion since we aren't going to be saddled with multiple years of $4M in extra cap or anything like that.

"On Tuesday, the Detroit Red Wings announced theyre-signed G Jimmy Howard to a six-year deal, one that will keep Howard in the WINDY CITY until 2019"

Thats funny. I was unaware Detroit was located in Chicago. The Detroit red wings of Chicago?

Yeah, the comments on PHT were mentioning that as well. A bit of a brain fart on the writer's part as I'm sure he meant to say "Motor City" and it's been corrected as such on the web site.

Edited by elvis15, 16 April 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#13 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Updated the OP as it does appear it's a 6 year, $31.8M deal. $5.3M cap hit as rumoured.

#14 dildo_baggins

dildo_baggins

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

we'll be on the hook for his contract, Either way !
Luo said it best "his contract sucks"
The Covino & Rich Show - Mon-Fri 9am-Noon Sirius 104 XM 139

#15 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

5.3 for 6 Years

Luongo

This whole "Luongo's contract is an anchor" headline was BS made up by the media IMHO. Anyone who thinks that he will play out his entire contract are simply removed from reality. When he retires (I'm thinking after the 2018-2019 season), his contract and cap hit would be an asset to any team trying to hit the salary cap floor (much like Tim Thomas's was purchased from BOS buy the NYI). Heck, you might even get a 2nd or 3rd rounder thrown in by the new team as a thank you for saving them $5.2million per year against the salary cap.

2013-2018 $6.7 million/yr
2018-2019 $3.4 million/yr
2019-2020 $1.6 million/yr
2020-2022 $1.0 million/yr

Edited by rb4u, 16 April 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#16 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Good signing for DET.

He's underrated IMO, a real workhorse.

zackass.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.