The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Laganiere Signs With Ducks

It's funny, these were the most common top college free agents in 2010:

Bobby Butler, Justin Fontaine, Ben Scrivens, Chay Genoway, Erik Gustafsson, Chase Polasek, etc. bunch of no names.

Gillis signed Tanev and he's already become a top 4 defenseman. Just because some players are more sought after it doesn't mean they necessarily have higher upside.

I can't say that I particularly care what guys like Samuelsson, O'Brien, Cooke, etc have to say, and if what they say holds any merit with any particular player, then I probably wouldn't want that guy on this team.

I don't see any of these guys' opinions carrying a lot of weight amongst majority of the guys in the NHL. This is just my opinion. If you can find a quote from any of these other free agents, who signed with another team, where they say they signed with the other team because said player hates the Canucks, or AV or Gillis, then please provide it for our consideration.

Where did Schultz say he hated AV? Did Doan have the Canucks as one of his last choices just because he wanted to jerk around MG? I'm sure that having a deep hatred of AV is what caused Laganiere to sign with Anaheim, and that him having a better shot at top 9 minutes with the Ducks didn't play into the decision.

regards, G.

The way it went down was were were 1 in xxx amount of teams/ chance at signing him. so if xxxx was 6 teams, it was 1 in 6. not in 1 in 2. He didn't with Vancouver keep in mind, other teams were turned down too. So it's not like it came down to us and the Ducks, I guess Anahiem might have gotten the best of EVERYONE. He also rejected PIttsburgh and Montreal, I guess those guys have a "reputation" around the leauge too :)

as the canucks yet lose out on another possible free agent signing i am starting to wonder....why us.. do we really have a bad rep in the league... is it our management what is it .... why is it somewhere else that represents a better playing opportunity... why why why.... ok sorry for that the rant is over...

Doan always wanted to stay in Phoenix, ownership issues are the only reason he was looking around.

Clowe wanted to go to the East so his family could watch the games easier.

Schultz said on HNIC that he wanted to go to the Oilers before any teams even made an offer to him, he just wanted to see what other offers there would be.

I wouldn't call that losing, more like the player has a place already in mind from the beginning.

I guess they see that since we're good now, they dont have a chance later on but they probably didn't know that our prospect pool is crap..

Probably because since we're still good, we can develop our prospects longer but I guess some college FA's want to make the NHL right away, or at least within a year or two, instead of having to play in the AHL for more than 2 years with us

Has a better chance of palying with Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry. Specially with Selanne and Koivu likely leaving after this year.

If he would've signed with the Canucks, he would have been way back on the Depth Chart. Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Roy(possibly), Hansen, Higgins, Kassian.

He probably looked at how they played it with Kassian and figure he has a better chance of cracking the Anaheim top 6 than the Canucks.

Has a better chance of palying with Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry. Specially with Selanne and Koivu likely leaving after this year.

If he would've signed with the Canucks, he would have been way back on the Depth Chart. Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Roy(possibly), Hansen, Higgins, Kassian.

He probably looked at how they played it with Kassian and figure he has a better chance of cracking the Anaheim top 6 than the Canucks.

A young hockey player signing in a city with beautiful weather and women, is this really a surprise? Put yourself in this young man's shoes. Don't get me wrong, Vancouver is an amazing city too, but If I was given an opportunity to live in California for a portion of my career- I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

A young hockey player signing in a city with beautiful weather and women, is this really a surprise? Put yourself in this young man's shoes. Don't get me wrong, Vancouver is an amazing city too, but If I was given an opportunity to live in California for a portion of my career- I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

I doubt he based it on the weather.

Bottom line is, Anaheim is a top team with good players that will have more roster spots available due to an aging core that's about to retire (Selanne, Koivu). Plus they've got quite a few top young players for him to play with (Etem, Palmieri).

haha we are such a self conscious fan base. Just because this guy didnt sign with us doesnt mean there is anything wrong with our organization. Maybe he likes Disneyland... who knows! You have to appreciate that Gillis is constantly trying to make this team better, but the reality is there are 29 other teams all trying to do the same thing.

There's a reason players are constantly resigning with discounts.

Guest Dasein

Doan always wanted to stay in Phoenix, ownership issues are the only reason he was looking around.

Clowe wanted to go to the East so his family could watch the games easier.

Schultz said on HNIC that he wanted to go to the Oilers before any teams even made an offer to him, he just wanted to see what other offers there would be.

I wouldn't call that losing, more like the player has a place already in mind from the beginning.

Archived