79 replies to this topic

#31 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Quote and source of what they said please. Thank you.

http://blogs.bettor....igneault-a33056

Shane O’Brien has always had a way with words. The bruising defenceman is never one to back away from a fight, comment, or anything that is said about him.
The 6ft 3in 230 pound defender, who spent the past two seasons with the Vancouver Canucks, was traded to the Nashville Predators on Tuesday for defenceman Ryan Parent. Usually whenever a trade occurs, the players involved go quietly without much fanfare. But O’Brien, who entertained Canucks fans with his play on a regular basis, felt it necessary to leave Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault with some memorable parting words.
During his stay with the Canucks, O’Brien was made an example of by Vigneault. The coach took fire at O’Brien for his lifestyle choices, and opened up to the media about all things bad related to the 27-year-old. According to what Vigneault said, O’Brien was a frequent attendee of The Roxy, a nightclub in Vancouver, and he loved to party.
It is highly uncommon for a National Hockey League coach to go public with this kind of information, but Vigneault felt it was necessary. O’Brien admitted to not being on his best behaviour while playing with the Canucks, but he wasted no time in returning the fire, and he let nothing stop him.
“This whole Roxy myth - my first year in Vancouver I did hang out there a little too much,” said O'Brien. “Obviously, there's a lot of things I would have done differently.
“But the thing that really made me upset is you look around an organization and there's always stuff that goes on during the year, and they try to keep it behind closed doors. With me, AV just went right to the press and buried me, and that made it worse.”
O’Brien stressed that when his former coach “had a chance to bury me in the media, he did. He never seemed to have my back. I'd be lying if I said I thought I had a chance with him from day one.”
The embattled rearguard had a feeling that the coach would not want him on the roster for the Canucks’ season opener, and given the recent trade, he was more or less right about that.
“I knew I was in trouble,” O’Brien said of his pre-season prediction. “I wish I got a little fairer shake in camp. I only played three exhibition games, all on the road, and we flew the day of the game on two of them. And - no disrespect to the players we had in those games - but the three games I played we were nowhere near an NHL-calibre roster. It was the icing on the cake for my career here in Vancouver.”
O’Brien said he tried to buy into Vigneault’s playing system, and that he made some strides to improve his play later on. But in the end, things did not seem to work out, as the two had had issues since O’Brien’s arrival in Vancouver in the 2008-09 season. He had been traded to the Canucks from the Tampa Bay Lightning, who received fellow defenceman Lukas Krajicek in return.
“Last year, I stepped up when we had some injuries and helped our team win the division, and I thought I played with a lot of heart in the play-offs,” O’Brien said of his play with the Canucks.
“Every time there was an injury, I'd play well. And when [the injured player] came back, I'd go right back to the bottom of the barrel. It's tough to play in this league when you know if you have a bad night, you're going to the press box. After two years, it was still the same thing. No matter what I did, I didn't seem to stand a chance with that guy.”
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis responded to O’Brien’s criticisms of Vigneault, stating that O’Brien had been given many opportunities to show he belonged on the team, but his attitude often got in the way of his development as a player.
“He (O’Brien) had his opportunity to come here and make the team, and other players played better than him,” Gillis said.
“We didn't go into this with any predetermined ideas. We thought there was a lot of upside with Shane. But we can only do so much in trying to develop players and do the best we can, and at certain points, I think Shane needed to try and mature a little bit and get better.”
Going into the 2010-11 season, the Canucks will be without O’Brien’s unique sense of toughness, but that is not an issue for Vigneault. As for O’Brien, he is glad to be out of Vancouver, and awaits a fresh start in Nashville. The Predators will play their season-opening game on Saturday evening.

The Samuelsson one is above and everyone knows about the Hodgson one.

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 16 April 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#32 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,048 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Why do people keep freaking out about this? Listed as a centre, played wing mostly in Uni. Yes, we get it. It's ok.

Well, when 'someone' suggests Anaheim may have offered him the 2nd line C to entice him, it's hardly representative. He played center when he was younger, and he's likely not going to jump straight to the NHL on a team that's 2nd in the Western Conference playing center, so I don't know why you'd suggest it unless you were being facetious.

If they work on him as a project at center, then maybe, but he won't be playing there anytime soon without some higher level practice. He won't be supplanting Perry or Selanne on RW this year certainly, maybe when Selanne retires. They could move him to LW I guess, since there would be an opportunity there in future, but it's not a super clear cut case of them having an immediate spot for him.

Anaheim has a history of signing college guys and turning them into gold. Kunitz and MacDonald are a couple. Nobody should be shocked that they signed another one.

Well, they did lose Schultz as a college UFA they had drafted, so maybe Laganiere felt bad for them.

No one should be shocked at any team signing a college UFA though, just weird they weren't more prominent in the rumours before now.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#33 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Laganierre is a friggin bust!!!!

Sounds like it, although this Laganiere fellow sounds pretty good. :bigblush:

#34 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,871 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

The only NCAA signing we need right now is Chris Tanev.
Posted Image

#35 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,310 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

People better get used to this as long as AV is coach.

Whether justified or not, there's a popular belief out there that he's not good with rookies.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#36 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,186 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

We must be doing something wrong with presentations or something, if we keep missing out on top rated FA's when were supposed to be a top tier organization.

I know I'd pick Ana over Van, less pressure and nice weather (consistently)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Special thanks to Guava & Egatti !

#37 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Well Cooke isn't really the most reputable guy in the league, but i'm curious as to what Samuelsson said? I don't remember hearing anything.

O'Brien struck me as someone who always had a reason why he wasn't making it. Night clubbing was his rationale but IMO the reality was he did not play anywhere physical enough to make up for other shortcomings. I might question Van coaching but moving SOB wasn't one of them.

I missed the Cooke comments and never heard Samuelsson say anything.

#38 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,048 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

I know I'd pick Ana over Van, less pressure and nice weather (consistently)

Didn't seem to help them keep Schultz.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,959 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

The Canucks have been in the hunt for and missed out on EVERY notable college free agent. It's a sign that while our organization is good, players do not believe they have a bright future here.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#40 a Fool

a Fool

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

We must be doing something wrong with presentations or something

Canucks weak on the PP (powerpoint).

#41 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

The Canucks have been in the hunt for and missed out on EVERY notable college free agent. It's a sign that while our organization is good, players do not believe they have a bright future here.

I guess they see that since we're good now, they dont have a chance later on but they probably didn't know that our prospect pool is crap..

Probably because since we're still good, we can develop our prospects longer but I guess some college FA's want to make the NHL right away, or at least within a year or two, instead of having to play in the AHL for more than 2 years with us

#42 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

This balances out the Schultz fiasco.

#43 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Lain was #3/#4 most sought after behind Laganiere, Sustr, Dekeyser
Posted Image

#44 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Laganierre is a friggin bust!!!!

Yep because we didn't land him Right?
Posted Image

#45 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Funny how Burke and Co., just sllllllllide right in at the last minute. Wonder if he phoned Nonuts in Toronto and had a good chuckle...

Burke:"guess what we did today Dave?"

Nonis:"I dunno, what did you do today?"

Burke:"remember all the hype about Gillis following this college guy around for the past 2 years?"

Nonis:"No wayyyyyy!!!!! Get out!!!!! Are you serious!?!?!?"

Burke:"Ya, upstaged him again. Promised thise kid the moon just to be a c**k blocker to Gillis and he went for it."

Nonis:"hahahaha, yaaaaaaaa, Good one Bri!!!!!"

#46 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,415 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

Lain was #3/#4 most sought after behind Laganiere, Sustr, Dekeyser

Leblanc, Hartzell, Schmidt, Schwartz, Walters, and Olkinoura are all guys more sought after than Lain and have higher upside

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#47 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Dissapointed i thought this thread was Lapierre signs.... frack

#48 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,315 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Damn, thats sucks.

Oh well, we won't knab them all.

zackass.png

#49 Plum

Plum

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

He probably wont turn great.

#50 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,310 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

As much as people like to believe every young player wants to play for the Canucks, they don't

It has nothing to do with the organization. It has to do with these players being sought after by as many as 20+ teams, and making a decision based on what they think is best for them.

The odds are against every team that misses out.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#51 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Leblanc, Hartzell, Schmidt, Schwartz, Walters, and Olkinoura are all guys more sought after than Lain and have higher upside

Where'd you find that?
Posted Image

#52 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Several players have said negative things when they left Van (Samuelsson, O'Brien, Cooke, etc). I'm sure that as well as when MG buried Hodgson in the media has to play a part in why prospects don't sign here.

I can't say that I particularly care what guys like Samuelsson, O'Brien, Cooke, etc have to say, and if what they say holds any merit with any particular player, then I probably wouldn't want that guy on this team.

I don't see any of these guys' opinions carrying a lot of weight amongst majority of the guys in the NHL. This is just my opinion. If you can find a quote from any of these other free agents, who signed with another team, where they say they signed with the other team because said player hates the Canucks, or AV or Gillis, then please provide it for our consideration.

Where did Schultz say he hated AV? Did Doan have the Canucks as one of his last choices just because he wanted to jerk around MG? I'm sure that having a deep hatred of AV is what caused Laganiere to sign with Anaheim, and that him having a better shot at top 9 minutes with the Ducks didn't play into the decision.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#53 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,415 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Where'd you find that?

http://nhl.si.com/20...ge-free-agents/
http://unitedstateso...dated-march-20/
http://lastwordonspo...gents-to-watch/
http://lastwordonspo...o-watch-part-2/
http://www.westernco...n-the-ccha-wcha
http://www.cbc.ca/sp...agent-time.html

All sites with various rankings and analysis about the NCAA UFA crop this year. No unanimous list, but its easy to see which guys are more commonly regarded as better prospects from this season.

Lain isn't a bad pickup if he serves his role, but he really can only grow in to a 4th line guy

Edited by canucklax, 16 April 2013 - 04:13 PM.

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#54 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yep because we didn't land him Right?

Absolutely.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#55 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,871 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

It's funny, these were the most common top college free agents in 2010:
Bobby Butler, Justin Fontaine, Ben Scrivens, Chay Genoway, Erik Gustafsson, Chase Polasek, etc. bunch of no names.

Gillis signed Tanev and he's already become a top 4 defenseman. Just because some players are more sought after it doesn't mean they necessarily have higher upside.
Posted Image

#56 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Haha. How does that even happen?

Oh and.. Meh. Win some, lose some. Probably not a big loss in the end.

We lose quite a bit now, Schultz, Doan, Clowe, now Laganiere, we've been 1 of last 2 destinations for each.

Posted Image

JimLahey

#57 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

As much as people like to believe every young player wants to play for the Canucks, they don't

It has nothing to do with the organization. It has to do with these players being sought after by as many as 20+ teams, and making a decision based on what they think is best for them.

The odds are against every team that misses out.

Exactly, cause they know that in Vancouver they won't get as much a chance as they would on other teams. That, and we have bad luck when signing/trading :(

Posted Image

JimLahey

#58 BertuzziJr 2.0

BertuzziJr 2.0

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Were you guys willing to give him NHL ice time right off the bat? No? Me either. That is why we lost out and honestly probably better than taking time away from actual NHLers

#59 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

Were you guys willing to give him NHL ice time right off the bat? No? Me either. That is why we lost out and honestly probably better than taking time away from actual NHLers

Agreed, that was probably a deciding factor for him, ice-time. He would most likely get 3rd, or probably 4th line minutes if he made the team. An I would rather have others get ice time.

Posted Image

JimLahey

#60 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,871 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

We lose quite a bit now, Schultz, Doan, Clowe, now Laganiere, we've been 1 of last 2 destinations for each.

Doan always wanted to stay in Phoenix, ownership issues are the only reason he was looking around.
Clowe wanted to go to the East so his family could watch the games easier.
Schultz said on HNIC that he wanted to go to the Oilers before any teams even made an offer to him, he just wanted to see what other offers there would be.

I wouldn't call that losing, more like the player has a place already in mind from the beginning.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.