Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Laganiere Signs With Ducks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#61 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#62 viking mama

viking mama

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,195 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

It's funny, these were the most common top college free agents in 2010:
Bobby Butler, Justin Fontaine, Ben Scrivens, Chay Genoway, Erik Gustafsson, Chase Polasek, etc. bunch of no names.

Gillis signed Tanev and he's already become a top 4 defenseman. Just because some players are more sought after it doesn't mean they necessarily have higher upside.

Or the coachability? Party dudes are gonna party...but pursuing the Cup requires a little more commitment & sacrifice. Ask Patrick Kane how his last season turned-out. A team that raises the bar...stands taller!

#63 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Didn't seem to help them keep Schultz.

Should've handed him that crystal ball.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#64 Darkstar

Darkstar

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

I can't say that I particularly care what guys like Samuelsson, O'Brien, Cooke, etc have to say, and if what they say holds any merit with any particular player, then I probably wouldn't want that guy on this team.

I don't see any of these guys' opinions carrying a lot of weight amongst majority of the guys in the NHL. This is just my opinion. If you can find a quote from any of these other free agents, who signed with another team, where they say they signed with the other team because said player hates the Canucks, or AV or Gillis, then please provide it for our consideration.

Where did Schultz say he hated AV? Did Doan have the Canucks as one of his last choices just because he wanted to jerk around MG? I'm sure that having a deep hatred of AV is what caused Laganiere to sign with Anaheim, and that him having a better shot at top 9 minutes with the Ducks didn't play into the decision.

regards, G.

Yes, because college prospects are going to say that they hate certain NHL teams before they even play a game in the big leagues. It has nothing to do with Laganiere hating AV, but the issue with the Canucks lack of developing prospects in the past few years and their reputation around the league definitely had to play in their decision.

Formerly known as TheEhrhoffEffect

#65 Canuck hero

Canuck hero

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Not sure how why any of these 'sources' blabbering about how a guy is 'fer sure gonna be a Canuck' are believed these days.

It's wearing thin.

Anaheim easily presents a better opportunity for the guy.

it wasn't ever gonna be for sure... you know the usual standard rumors....
Posted Image

#66 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,259 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

The way it went down was were were 1 in xxx amount of teams/ chance at signing him. so if xxxx was 6 teams, it was 1 in 6. not in 1 in 2. He didn't with Vancouver keep in mind, other teams were turned down too. So it's not like it came down to us and the Ducks, I guess Anahiem might have gotten the best of EVERYONE. He also rejected PIttsburgh and Montreal, I guess those guys have a "reputation" around the leauge too :)

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#67 Canuck hero

Canuck hero

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

as the canucks yet lose out on another possible free agent signing i am starting to wonder....why us.. do we really have a bad rep in the league... is it our management what is it .... why is it somewhere else that represents a better playing opportunity... why why why.... ok sorry for that the rant is over...
Posted Image

#68 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,259 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

as the canucks yet lose out on another possible free agent signing i am starting to wonder....why us.. do we really have a bad rep in the league... is it our management what is it .... why is it somewhere else that represents a better playing opportunity... why why why.... ok sorry for that the rant is over...

Nope. Cause we are not the only team that missed out. You actually have nothing to rant about. Cause in the end, there are a ton of teams that were not able to sign a college free agents.

Canucks fans need to stop crying like babies.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#69 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

Doan always wanted to stay in Phoenix, ownership issues are the only reason he was looking around.
Clowe wanted to go to the East so his family could watch the games easier.
Schultz said on HNIC that he wanted to go to the Oilers before any teams even made an offer to him, he just wanted to see what other offers there would be.

I wouldn't call that losing, more like the player has a place already in mind from the beginning.

I guess so, but on the bright side, atleast MG is trying and almost got some

#70 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,650 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Several players have said negative things when they left Van (Samuelsson, O'Brien, Cooke, etc). I'm sure that as well as when MG buried Hodgson in the media has to play a part in why prospects don't sign here.

Like Kellen Lain?...

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#71 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

I guess they see that since we're good now, they dont have a chance later on but they probably didn't know that our prospect pool is crap..

Probably because since we're still good, we can develop our prospects longer but I guess some college FA's want to make the NHL right away, or at least within a year or two, instead of having to play in the AHL for more than 2 years with us

I think our weak prospect pool is part of what is scaring them away. Who would want to play for a team that never wins any games for four or five years while these guys are in their prime years.

#72 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

Can't wait to hear what Keith Ballard has to say on the way out the door.

#73 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

Probably will be a fringe player.
Posted Image

#74 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

Has a better chance of palying with Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry. Specially with Selanne and Koivu likely leaving after this year.

If he would've signed with the Canucks, he would have been way back on the Depth Chart. Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Roy(possibly), Hansen, Higgins, Kassian.

He probably looked at how they played it with Kassian and figure he has a better chance of cracking the Anaheim top 6 than the Canucks.

#75 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Has a better chance of palying with Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry. Specially with Selanne and Koivu likely leaving after this year.

If he would've signed with the Canucks, he would have been way back on the Depth Chart. Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Roy(possibly), Hansen, Higgins, Kassian.

He probably looked at how they played it with Kassian and figure he has a better chance of cracking the Anaheim top 6 than the Canucks.

Your probably right but his signing with the Ducks is more because of weaker depth on that team. Not enough of Kassian's story has been written yet to pass judgment there. I would suggest, however, if the reason for acquiring Kassian was to improve Van's physical play then he should be playing at minimum on the 3rd line, regularly. It appears sometimes that Van's approach is all about winning the regular season and not necessarily preparing thru the season for playoffs.

#76 DunCanuck

DunCanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

A young hockey player signing in a city with beautiful weather and women, is this really a surprise? Put yourself in this young man's shoes. Don't get me wrong, Vancouver is an amazing city too, but If I was given an opportunity to live in California for a portion of my career- I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Edited by DunCanuck, 17 April 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#77 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,508 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

A young hockey player signing in a city with beautiful weather and women, is this really a surprise? Put yourself in this young man's shoes. Don't get me wrong, Vancouver is an amazing city too, but If I was given an opportunity to live in California for a portion of my career- I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

As I said before, Schultz was drafted by Anaheim but left to become a UFA only to sign with Edmonton (not known for it's beautiful weather at all). Could it be a deciding factor all other things considered equal? Maybe, but not as a major factor for someone not from that area. Each player is different, so who knows what went into his decision.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#78 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,576 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

I doubt he based it on the weather.

Bottom line is, Anaheim is a top team with good players that will have more roster spots available due to an aging core that's about to retire (Selanne, Koivu). Plus they've got quite a few top young players for him to play with (Etem, Palmieri).

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#79 rambo1515

rambo1515

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

haha we are such a self conscious fan base. Just because this guy didnt sign with us doesnt mean there is anything wrong with our organization. Maybe he likes Disneyland... who knows! You have to appreciate that Gillis is constantly trying to make this team better, but the reality is there are 29 other teams all trying to do the same thing.

There's a reason players are constantly resigning with discounts.

#80 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Doan always wanted to stay in Phoenix, ownership issues are the only reason he was looking around.
Clowe wanted to go to the East so his family could watch the games easier.
Schultz said on HNIC that he wanted to go to the Oilers before any teams even made an offer to him, he just wanted to see what other offers there would be.

I wouldn't call that losing, more like the player has a place already in mind from the beginning.

Could be the reason we lose out on Derek Roy this summer too. Ottawa has a GREAT young team that can be a contender with Roy on the 2nd line behind Spezza. I would not be surprised if he goes.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.