The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Alberts, you are really...

He's going by hits per game.  If both had played 44 games Edler would have 76 hits and Alberts 78.  Difference is Alberts plays 10 mins less every game. So if you were to do a hits vs toi you would have a better estimation of exactly how much more physical Alberts is than Edler.  Alberts in the past years has actually been our most physical defencemen.

I have actually liked Albie from the beginning, just took him a little longer to adjust than we had hoped but now he finally looks comfortable and is playing like a 6'5'' d-man with decent hands should. If he got put in some more offensive situations i would really like to see how he would do. And if Corrado keeps playing like he did last night i would not be surprised to see Alberts and him as the 3rd d-pair more often. Right now, Alberts is an improvement over Ballard and i think Corrado has more potential than Tanev.

Alberts is not a star, but I have been positive about him since he first came to Vancouver. Overall he has played solid hockey and contributes a lot to the physical game. We should be happy to have him as #7 D, which is where he slotted in this year. And with injuries, that means he gets a lot of playing time.

However, I doubt he will be back next year. His price tag is just a bit high for a #7 D with the new, lower, salary cap.

Like so many others here I have never been an Alberts fan. Until this year I haven't seen him use his size to dominate opposing players anywhere near enough to warrant keeping him. His play in the game vs Chicago however was solid and he really showed he could play the hard hitting game. I really hope he consistently plays the game this way for the playoffs.

I've never had a big problem with Alberts play but I figured this season he was going to be pushed out by Barker. Not a dig on Barker but Alberts has been quite a bit more valuable when he's on the ice than Barker has this season.

Why do you think that is though?

I'm glad someone brought this up because I can't figure it out. He looks like a totally different player out there.

Rome got kind of ostracised by fans here but he was a solid (in both senses of that word) guy for us back there. He wasn't flashy but he did his job, not to mention he was probably one of the few alphas we had on the team. Guy NEVER smiled when it was business hours. How ya doin' Horton? etc...

We need more of that on this team. Guys that take # seriously.

Alberts can flat out DESTROY people. Don't forget this guy is 6'5" 220lbs

We need a guy like this badly in the playoffs. If he can keep up his solid play otherwise, and bring that physical presence. Invaluable.

the actual point was not to disparage Alberts at all. I was attempting to point out that Edler is not lacking in the physical aspect of the game as much as the other poster was implying with his comment "I wish Edler was a physical as Alberts".

He may be a bit less so than AA, but he's still on par or better than any of the other Canuck defenders.

Sorry if that came off as condescending it wasn't meant to be.  I think the issue I have with Edler isn't that he isn't physical, it's just he doesn't use his size nearly enough or effectively.  We know the kind of punishment he can dish when the mood strikes, just wish it was more often.

I'm not sold, he's minus-6. I'd rather see any of our other D get more playing time, over him (Ballard included) after our injured players get back, I don't see a spot being saved for him.

Not to completely disregard how he's playing or what he brings to the table, as you mentioned he does seem to be trying harder and doing more than usual.. But I just don't think it's enough, I'd much rather see Corrado or Barker get the ice time right now. :mellow:

Playoffs are a long and hard trek though, so maybe he'll come into play sooner or later. Either way, it's nice to see him stepping his game up a little at least. :P

He also leads the team in ice time.  The point isn't that he isn't hitting, so much as he isn't nearly as physical or punishing as we know he can be.  There is a big difference.  Edler is a big man, who is extremely strong.  Just want to see him use it more.

Sorry if that came off as condescending it wasn't meant to be. I think the issue I have with Edler isn't that he isn't physical, it's just he doesn't use his size nearly enough or effectively. We know the kind of punishment he can dish when the mood strikes, just wish it was more often.

I agree Eddie could be more physical but i do not want to see him have the same fate as Salo..  Salo and Ohlund were freight trains for us night in and night out for years and after reading the garbage people were saying about Salo for the last 2-3 years, I certainly don't want to see such clueless pathetic things said about Eddie...

I'm not sold, he's minus-6. I'd rather see any of our other D get more playing time, over him (Ballard included) after our injured players get back, I don't see a spot being saved for him.

Not to completely disregard how he's playing or what he brings to the table, as you mentioned he does seem to be trying harder and doing more than usual.. But I just don't think it's enough, I'd much rather see Corrado or Barker get the ice time right now. :mellow:

Playoffs are a long and hard trek though, so maybe he'll come into play sooner or later. Either way, it's nice to see him stepping his game up a little at least. :P

Archived