103 replies to this topic

#61 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

Another solid physical game by Alberts. Critical for playoff hockey. He seems to settle in and play well at 18 minutes.

#62 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

I thought Alberts played a solid game last night and overall more times then not he's a guy that does a lot of good things well that go unnoticed.

The thing about Alberts is he does tend to make 1-3 gaffes per game and they look pretty bad so thats all thats noticed.

I would much rather have Alberts in the lineup then that slow, lost behind the pace hack Barker. At least Alberts brings something good to the table that helps the team making several good solid plays a game but Barker does absolutely nothing to help the team and can only hurt it.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 23 April 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#63 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Love the big guys intensity, responsible defensively, keep it up big fella.

#64 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

He was an absolute beauty last night. Never thought I'd say that about him... especially vs the hawks.

WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

Florida Panthers GM -  2014-15 Shapheat FHL

#65 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Very pleased with Alberts this season as well. He's nothing special outside being a bigger body, but hasn't been a particular liability this season as in the past. Perfectly happy with him as our 6th d-man.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#66 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

I like that he actually uses his size. We need more D who play like this.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#67 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,059 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

I wish Edler could play with the same physicality as Alberts.
Posted Image

#68 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Alberts should play the #6 spot instead of Ballard. His physicality is definitely something that we'll need during the playoffs, especially if we face St. Louis in the 1st round.

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa/Tanev
Alberts - Tanev/Bieksa

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#69 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,387 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

He was solid last night. Reminds me a bit of a combination between Willie Mitchell and Shane O'Brien, which is pretty solid for a bottom pairing guy.

Rock solid on D, physical, and safe smart plays out of the zone. Against Detroit he played over 24 minutes and helped keep their top guns off the scoreboard.

One thing I have noticed about Alberts since he arrived is that he hits hard along the boards, maybe harder than any Canuck during his tenure here. He doesn't have the jaw dropping open ice hits but he really pounds guys when fighting for the puck.

Edited by canucklehead44, 23 April 2013 - 11:13 AM.

Sig too big.

#70 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Playing much better this season, actually. Way better than he has in previous years. He's sticking up for teammates, playing solidly defensively, and constantly jumping up into the rush without being a defensive liability. Really solid 6th defenseman, never mind 7th. I'm comfortable with him slotting into our top 4 if injuries require it... Just took him some time.

Just gotta love the big hits, big shot, and solid play. Just love it!

Agreed, and also was proffesional when he had to wait for playing time.
Posted Image

#71 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

I wouldn't say this season as a whole, but I do agree about the last couple weeks. I have been one of his strongest critics, but he's made a few clutch plays recently and is using his body effectively.

#72 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,469 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

I wish Edler could play with the same physicality as Alberts.

Actually, their hits/game are almost identical, (just under 2) although no Canuck is really lighting it up. The only guys averaging over two hits per game are Lapierre (who leads the team by a whopping 30 hits) and Weise.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#73 nuckles88

nuckles88

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

I have actually liked Albie from the beginning, just took him a little longer to adjust than we had hoped but now he finally looks comfortable and is playing like a 6'5'' d-man with decent hands should. If he got put in some more offensive situations i would really like to see how he would do. And if Corrado keeps playing like he did last night i would not be surprised to see Alberts and him as the 3rd d-pair more often. Right now, Alberts is an improvement over Ballard and i think Corrado has more potential than Tanev.
In Loving Memory of Luc Bourdon, Rick Rypien, Pavol Demitra and all the others lost in the hockey world :'(

#74 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Playing much better this season, actually. Way better than he has in previous years. He's sticking up for teammates, playing solidly defensively, and constantly jumping up into the rush without being a defensive liability. Really solid 6th defenseman, never mind 7th. I'm comfortable with him slotting into our top 4 if injuries require it... Just took him some time.

Just gotta love the big hits, big shot, and solid play. Just love it!

I'm not sold, he's minus-6. I'd rather see any of our other D get more playing time, over him (Ballard included) after our injured players get back, I don't see a spot being saved for him.

Not to completely disregard how he's playing or what he brings to the table, as you mentioned he does seem to be trying harder and doing more than usual.. But I just don't think it's enough, I'd much rather see Corrado or Barker get the ice time right now. :mellow:

Playoffs are a long and hard trek though, so maybe he'll come into play sooner or later. Either way, it's nice to see him stepping his game up a little at least. :P

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 23 April 2013 - 12:56 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#75 Blue & Green

Blue & Green

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

I always thought Alberts got a bad rap even his first season. He made some bad plays for sure but he has worked hard and is a valuable depth guy. Barker is more of the same old no physical play nor emotional involvement in the game. He looks like a robot out there and honestly I think he is a slower skater than Alberts is by a fair margin. I like how Alberts looks playing with Ballard this season more than I do with Tanev or Bieksa though.

Agree, Alberts - Ballard pairing had a great game against St. Louis last week, I would like to see that pairing again especially agianst the bigger teams in the playoffs.

#76 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

I have always been an Alberts backer, but people on the CDC (and Canucks fan as a whole) like to have a whipping boy. True enough, he did deserve some ridicule for his play right after we acquired him (what a horrible playoffs for him), but whenever he has been called upon since he has done he job.
He will never be flashy, or put up points, but given the little amount of games he slots into, I think he has been very good. He is something this team sorrily lacks on the back end, real size. He is a solid stay at home, who can be absolutely punishing from a physical standpoint. And when matched up against the leagues most potent offence, he played remarkably.

I wonder just how much better he could be, if he had reg time on the ice, and with it more confidence in his game. I would certainly put him above Barker and Ballard, but I have always said that.

#77 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Actually, their hits/game are almost identical, (just under 2) although no Canuck is really lighting it up. The only guys averaging over two hits per game are Lapierre (who leads the team by a whopping 30 hits) and Weise.

Except the fact that Edler plays twice as much ice time in every game. Look at the hits/toi and let me know the results.

#78 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,059 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

I don't know the stats but just by watching the game, you can see Alberts is much more physical than Edler.
Posted Image

#79 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Yes but they were the only pairing healthy or not suspended. not taking away from them just saying.

Yes but they were the only pairing healthy or not suspended. not taking away from them just saying.

It was worse...they were not a pairing at all. Slapped together to play for the first time in the finals? Yikes

#80 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

I don't know the stats but just by watching the game, you can see Alberts is much more physical than Edler.

He's going by hits per game. If both had played 44 games Edler would have 76 hits and Alberts 78. Difference is Alberts plays 10 mins less every game. So if you were to do a hits vs toi you would have a better estimation of exactly how much more physical Alberts is than Edler. Alberts in the past years has actually been our most physical defencemen.

#81 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,469 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

He's going by hits per game.  If both had played 44 games Edler would have 76 hits and Alberts 78.  Difference is Alberts plays 10 mins less every game. So if you were to do a hits vs toi you would have a better estimation of exactly how much more physical Alberts is than Edler.  Alberts in the past years has actually been our most physical defencemen.

the actual point was not to disparage Alberts at all. I was attempting to point out that Edler is not lacking in the physical aspect of the game as much as the other poster was implying with his comment "I wish Edler was a physical as Alberts".

He may be a bit less so than AA, but he's still on par or better than any of the other Canuck defenders.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#82 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have actually liked Albie from the beginning, just took him a little longer to adjust than we had hoped but now he finally looks comfortable and is playing like a 6'5'' d-man with decent hands should. If he got put in some more offensive situations i would really like to see how he would do. And if Corrado keeps playing like he did last night i would not be surprised to see Alberts and him as the 3rd d-pair more often. Right now, Alberts is an improvement over Ballard and i think Corrado has more potential than Tanev.

Whoa...gear down big rig. Frank the Tank was solid, but Tanev was our rock on he blue line this season. I voted for him as our unsung hero. Hands down. Either way, thats two right handed shots on the blue line. Future of the blue line looking pretty bright

#83 menace

menace

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Good to see AA playing with some truculence. Keep up the good fight, time to shine in the SCP!!!

#84 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Alberts is not a star, but I have been positive about him since he first came to Vancouver. Overall he has played solid hockey and contributes a lot to the physical game. We should be happy to have him as #7 D, which is where he slotted in this year. And with injuries, that means he gets a lot of playing time.

However, I doubt he will be back next year. His price tag is just a bit high for a #7 D with the new, lower, salary cap.

#85 Anubis61

Anubis61

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Like so many others here I have never been an Alberts fan. Until this year I haven't seen him use his size to dominate opposing players anywhere near enough to warrant keeping him. His play in the game vs Chicago however was solid and he really showed he could play the hard hitting game. I really hope he consistently plays the game this way for the playoffs.

#86 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

I've never had a big problem with Alberts play but I figured this season he was going to be pushed out by Barker. Not a dig on Barker but Alberts has been quite a bit more valuable when he's on the ice than Barker has this season.

Why do you think that is though?

I'm glad someone brought this up because I can't figure it out. He looks like a totally different player out there.

Rome got kind of ostracised by fans here but he was a solid (in both senses of that word) guy for us back there. He wasn't flashy but he did his job, not to mention he was probably one of the few alphas we had on the team. Guy NEVER smiled when it was business hours. How ya doin' Horton? etc...

We need more of that on this team. Guys that take # seriously.

Alberts can flat out DESTROY people. Don't forget this guy is 6'5" 220lbs

http://video.kings.n...58&event=L.A297

Here he annihilates Comeau and then beats up and injures Backlund for good measure...

and how often do you actually see Pavel Datpuke get hit, never mind run over

too bad this wasn't Dustin Brown

STOOD UP

keep you head up Bozak

We need a guy like this badly in the playoffs. If he can keep up his solid play otherwise, and bring that physical presence. Invaluable.

#87 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

A shout-out to this man! Heard they've anointed him "Gorilla"...

If he keeps up this nasty, brutish dominance, I suggest we fans dub him,"Double A-battery"! Or simply Duracell.

#88 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Why do you think that is though?

I'm glad someone brought this up because I can't figure it out. He looks like a totally different player out there.

Rome got kind of ostracised by fans here but he was a solid (in both senses of that word) guy for us back there. He wasn't flashy but he did his job, not to mention he was probably one of the few alphas we had on the team. Guy NEVER smiled when it was business hours. How ya doin' Horton? etc...

We need more of that on this team. Guys that take # seriously.

Alberts can flat out DESTROY people. Don't forget this guy is 6'5" 220lbs

We need a guy like this badly in the playoffs. If he can keep up his solid play otherwise, and bring that physical presence. Invaluable.

Thanks for the Vids. I enjoyed them so i gave you an "up"

I like andrew Then again I tend to like all the guys fighting for their spots. They must have thick skin to bounce back and forth from the benches, to the AHL, to NHL line ups...

If you took a super star and bounced him between two teams and pine riding, i bet his game wouldnt be the same...
So yeah, i like the work ethic of the bubble guys and i love it when they succeed. Nice work lately, Alberts!

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 24 April 2013 - 12:36 PM.

Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#89 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

the actual point was not to disparage Alberts at all. I was attempting to point out that Edler is not lacking in the physical aspect of the game as much as the other poster was implying with his comment "I wish Edler was a physical as Alberts".

He may be a bit less so than AA, but he's still on par or better than any of the other Canuck defenders.

Sorry if that came off as condescending it wasn't meant to be. I think the issue I have with Edler isn't that he isn't physical, it's just he doesn't use his size nearly enough or effectively. We know the kind of punishment he can dish when the mood strikes, just wish it was more often.

#90 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,469 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Sorry if that came off as condescending it wasn't meant to be.  I think the issue I have with Edler isn't that he isn't physical, it's just he doesn't use his size nearly enough or effectively.  We know the kind of punishment he can dish when the mood strikes, just wish it was more often.

I didn't take it that way, so no problem there. My original post was made because it seemed like Eddie was being unfairly criticised. I too, would like to see him hit more, but the fact is he leads the Canucks' defense in hits. (blocks too, BTW)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.