103 replies to this topic

#91 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'm not sold, he's minus-6. I'd rather see any of our other D get more playing time, over him (Ballard included) after our injured players get back, I don't see a spot being saved for him.
Not to completely disregard how he's playing or what he brings to the table, as you mentioned he does seem to be trying harder and doing more than usual.. But I just don't think it's enough, I'd much rather see Corrado or Barker get the ice time right now. :mellow:

Playoffs are a long and hard trek though, so maybe he'll come into play sooner or later. Either way, it's nice to see him stepping his game up a little at least. :P

I'm not sold, he's minus-6. I'd rather see any of our other D get more playing time, over him (Ballard included) after our injured players get back, I don't see a spot being saved for him.

Not to completely disregard how he's playing or what he brings to the table, as you mentioned he does seem to be trying harder and doing more than usual.. But I just don't think it's enough, I'd much rather see Corrado or Barker get the ice time right now. :mellow:

Playoffs are a long and hard trek though, so maybe he'll come into play sooner or later. Either way, it's nice to see him stepping his game up a little at least. :P

I wouldn't put to much stock in the +/- stat. Esp considering he has been a - 4 over the last 5 games (-2 in that forgettable Dallas game) and has only 1 assist this season. Without looking, take any of the rest of our D and remove their even strength points from their +/- and I bet all of them are - players.

Ballard play has dropped significantly after his strong start, and he is no where near the presence in front of the net as Alberts can bring, and has no offence to speak of . I am surprised to say that the only thing Ballard does better is skate. Alberts is better with the puck in his own end and has a much better outlet pass.
I won't even get into Barker. Anyone who would rather have Barker in than Alberts clearly thinks that because Barker was a first rounder that he deserves something

I think Alberts has gotten a bum rap because he doesn't come in and play like Lidstrom after not playing for 10 games at a time, only playing 12 mins a game, and never having the same partner, Im not sure what people expect.
I think given the opportunity, (and AV being forced to play him) Alberts is showing he could be an answer (one of) to the physical element the playoffs bring.

#92 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

I didn't take it that way, so no problem there. My original post was made because it seemed like Eddie was being unfairly criticised. I too, would like to see him hit more, but the fact is he leads the Canucks' defense in hits. (blocks too, BTW)

He also leads the team in ice time. The point isn't that he isn't hitting, so much as he isn't nearly as physical or punishing as we know he can be. There is a big difference. Edler is a big man, who is extremely strong. Just want to see him use it more.

#93 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

He also leads the team in ice time.  The point isn't that he isn't hitting, so much as he isn't nearly as physical or punishing as we know he can be.  There is a big difference.  Edler is a big man, who is extremely strong.  Just want to see him use it more.

Yes, he averages a bit more per game than the rest of the top four. However, if you dig a bit further into the numbers, you see that the even strength TOI is virtually identical for the top four Canuck defenders.

Although you do see the odd hit on the PK, it's pretty rare on the PP, which is the source of the majority of the "extra" TOI Edler receives.

I agree that he could use his size and strength more than he does, but as I said earlier, the post I originally responded to made it seem as though he was completely lacking in the physicality department, which the stats show, is untrue.

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 24 April 2013 - 04:17 PM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#94 icycold

icycold

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Sorry if that came off as condescending it wasn't meant to be. I think the issue I have with Edler isn't that he isn't physical, it's just he doesn't use his size nearly enough or effectively. We know the kind of punishment he can dish when the mood strikes, just wish it was more often.

I agree Eddie could be more physical but i do not want to see him have the same fate as Salo.. Salo and Ohlund were freight trains for us night in and night out for years and after reading the garbage people were saying about Salo for the last 2-3 years, I certainly don't want to see such clueless pathetic things said about Eddie...
HABS SUCK!!!

#95 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

I agree Eddie could be more physical but i do not want to see him have the same fate as Salo..  Salo and Ohlund were freight trains for us night in and night out for years and after reading the garbage people were saying about Salo for the last 2-3 years, I certainly don't want to see such clueless pathetic things said about Eddie...

I'd like to see a bit more physicality from the Canucks all around. I think it's a bit embarrassing that Max Lapierre leads the team in hits by a country mile...

That being said, I'm not a fan of going out of your way to make a hit. That's what Dion Phaneuf did in Calgary and often as not, going for the big crunch would leave him badly out of position and left the Flames in a poor defensive posture overall.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#96 Kulikov

Kulikov

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

He worked very hard to get faster in the off season and it shows. He should never be out of the line up, he's our only shot blocker on the back end. You can't win in the playoffs without blocking shots.

#97 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Looking at simply +/- alone doesn't really tell much if you don't look at the player's situational play.

Yes, Alberts is -6, but he also gets the lowest percentage of offensive zone starts of Canucks blueliners, and produces a positve relative percentage of offensive zone finishes.
Barker on the othe hand is +1, but that is misleading - he gets the highest percentage of offensive zone starts among blueliners at 59.6% and cedes significant territory at 45.9% finishes. That's the worst differential on the Canucks, and despite his high ozone starts and not particularly strong quality of competition, his relative corsi is -8.9.
I'm not saying Barker is terrible, but he does have the worst underlying numbers on the blueline, and watching his play, that fact isn't really mysterious.
Of the players on the Canucks with minus +/- stats, almost all of them are simply players who get higher percentages of defensive zone starts - Higgins, Kesler, Kassian, Weise, Ebbett, Booth, Alberts, Malhotra - all these guys (and a few other less regular depth players) are minus players, but get in the 25-45% offensive zone start range, which makes their +/- fairly misleading.

Edited by oldnews, 24 April 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#98 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Aside from that first season here when he came over at the deadline, Alberts has always played well for us. Exactly what you want in a seventh defenceman or even a bottom-pairing guy when he's going good.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#99 BiasedCarrot

BiasedCarrot

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:20 AM

Alberts has really impressed me in the games he's played so far this year, he's come a very long way from the 2010 series against LA where he spent as much time in the box as he did on the ice.

#100 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

Ever since Alberts was acquired I thought he was a waste of a roster spot, he has proved me wrong with his play so far this season and is really using his size well. GOOD JOB KEEP IT UP!

#101 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Hardest hitter on the team, I think come playoff time he doesn't have to go out of his way to make the hits they'll just keep on coming..other teams will be embellishing to get him penalized and/or suspended so he should hit whats there and not go out of his way to make the 'fantastic/perfect' hit...then he will be available to punish EVERY playoff game.

#102 CanuckFan1981

CanuckFan1981

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Really?  did you mean skate it out and dump or actually make a play?  I didn't see too many occasions where he led the rush or w/e if that's what you mean; good to see him use his size though, plus I think he and Ballard should be together in the playoffs, not only for his shutdown play with Ballard's puck moving but since both guys have bite and don't back down.

People keep talking about this but is it online?

He isnt an end to ender, but if there is room he will carry it up to the pressure until he finds an outlet pass or the redline for a dump in. Compared to when he arrived that is a great improvement. His hitting was good before, but he wasn't smart or quick enough to catch guys out west. Looks like he has it figured out now. Go Alberts!!

#103 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Alberts is exactly what this team needs in the playoffs. We have no other giant on our roster apart from Kassian, who's getting 10 minutes a game right now. Alberts >>>> Tanev and Ballard in the playoffs. Those two guys will get crushed (and did against Boston and L.A) whereas Alberts deals with guys better physically. Just look at how he pretty much single-handedly dominated Toews and Kane - played them hard into the boards and grinded them down. They were invisible, and that's mostly thanks to how Garrison and Alberts rode them hard all night long.

This is a playoff-ready defence that can deal with the heavy, physical forwards of St. Louis, L.A or San Jose (we will get one of them for the first round):

Hamhuis - Bieksa (great pairing, don't split them up, they need to get their chemistry back - Bieksa's playing very physically)
Edler - Corrado (this kid was amazing physically, throwing big hits and looked like a tougher Tanev. Really calmed Edler down)
Garrison - Alberts

Every guy in that 6-man squad can hit hard and do on a regular basis (not so much Hamhuis any more). Looking back to the defences of Cup winners, L.A had 6 guys who could hit (Voynov not so much), as did Boston (not so much Kaberle either), but the majority of their defencemen were stay-at-home guys who can hit hard and punish forwards. That is Andrew Alberts.
Posted Image

#104 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

ugh he's such a space cadet.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.